Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Lavender: I feel like there was some sort of competition among the cast, to see who could emote the least. It made for a weird experience. The music carries the film as much as anything, and the ending, while neither original nor particularly surprising, is of a variety that I like. So, I did actually enjoy it, but I wouldn't feel like I could recommend it unless I really knew someone's taste lined up with mine.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Romans832 said:

Pumpkinhead, wife, & I went and saw Ghost in the Shell last night.

Good movie

9/10

Excellent, reviews have been split. Question, were you into the original anime? I want to see it but timing wise might have to just buy it. Depends on how long it is on theaters, apparently it did not do well and isn't expected to last long. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PumpkinHead said:

It was decent in following the anime from what I remember. But then again, I watched GitS in college, some 12 years ago...  man I am getting old.

I thought about pulling it out to watch but the baby makes it difficult to enjoy stuff like it. Been about 4 years for me I watch it somewhat regularly. The sequel is subtitled at least the copy I have so extra complications with the kid...

Gonna have to find the time I think. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, PumpkinHead said:

It was decent in following the anime from what I remember. But then again, I watched GitS in college, some 12 years ago...  man I am getting old.

Aaaahhhh, shadup with the gettin' old stuff says the guy who watched the it in grad school the year it was released.

On topic though, I have not been able to bring myself to go watch the movie because the divide I am picking up in the reviews seems to have a lot to do with what portion of the original was important to you.  I don't doubt that GitS (2017) is a great action film.  My problem is that I liked GitS (1995) for the character development of Motoko Kusanagi...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WestRider said:

American Poltergeist (2015): Doesn't have the gore to work as a slasher flick, doesn't have the subtlety to work as a more psychological horror flick. Unfortunate, because there was some potential in the core idea. Also, that was a ghost, not a poltergeist. The terms are not interchangeable ;)

American Poltergeist 2 (2013). Yes, you read that right. For some reason it was rebranded as a sequel, even tho it has nothing whatsoever to do with either (also mutually unrelated) American Poltergeist movie, and actually predates them both. Somehow manages to succumb to the phenomenon where sequels are almost always worse anyhow. Also, once again, that was a ghost, not a poltergeist.

1 hour ago, PumpkinHead said:

Sing - 4/10 - Everything worth watching you saw in the trailers, except the final 5 minute finally. You can youtube that and not have to waste 1.5 hours of your life. Unless you have kids, then it's a cool animal movie and there is a decent sound track to it.

Sucks if even your kid doesn't like it tho

• Like 1

The Monkey King 2.

3/5. Chinese film with subtitles. Netflix suggested it and I watched it without knowing the title (didn't realize it was a sequel until I went to rate it). Anyway, solid special effects. The film included very little dialogue. While the plot kinda made sense, plot clearly wasn't the point of this film. Fighting in the films feels like anime, not real people (live action film). Film is very colorful, and costumes are well done. I don't think this is a very good kids movie, since I think they may have some of the villians a bit too scary for small children, but it is just scary, not overly violent or any profanity (for example, one character drinks the blood of children, but he drinks it from a cup, not like a vampire). Whole film feels like a cartoon from the 80s (He-man sorta thing, but with real people).

I will note that the plot is very pro-buddisim. Didn't matter to me, but always useful knowing ahead of time when you are going to see a religious themed film. The end in particular, is very pro-buddist and could be regarded as anti-climatic from an american film standpoint.

On April 24, 2017 at 5:56 PM, InfestedKerrigan said:

I'm pretty sure you just described the Dragon Ball Franchise, pax.

Hardly, I love the Dragonball series. That first series is an easy 5/5. 3/5 for Dragonball Z and the other spin-offs. And Dragonball has lots of dialogue and plot which is explained, while this film was not that type of series. Also, Dragonball doesn't have buddist themes like this film did - you'd have to watch it, and then you'd really know what I mean. 

Anyway, I watched the Monkey King (1). Mainly identical review, though this one is fully kid safe. 3/5. I suspect that these films are recreations of religious stories, and would make more sense if I were a chinese buddist with a knowledge of that religious history.

Warcraft - 5-6/10 - this was a bit of an odd one for me. The story and such was fine, and the orcs were very well done. I think if something was lacking, I'd say it was the live action part of it. It all looked very much like Warcraft. I think it might have done with a little humor tossed in. It was a very serious tone throughout the whole movie.