Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Some more on GotG2, under a cut because spoilers:

I definitely agree to some extent with the people who think that the family stuff was overdone. My relationship with my dad is not such that it let me identify with Quill during all the scenes with his dad. Found those kind of dragging and too long. Was kind of hoping for a "Who's your daddy?" joke to lighten things up during Yondu's death. I did like the Nebula/Gamora family parts, tho.

Speaking of Quill's dad, you'd think that a being that had lived for millions (or billions? I wasn't entirely clear on how much time was involved total) of years would have a bit more patience. If he hadn't tried to rush Quill into his plan so fast, and had kept closer control over Mantis, he could have gradually manipulated him to the point where, a few years later, Quill would have been enthusiastic to help.

The two sequences where that crew of Ravagers all got massacred really disturbed me. Particularly the second one, which was presented as being righteous, and even gleeful, but, honestly, was just as screwed up as the first. The whole fact of that happening kind of paints Yondu as a really bad captain, too, to have let his crew fracture that badly. He should have been keeping a better ear to the ground, pushing out those who didn't agree with his changes of direction for the group.

I did really like Kraglin, tho. He was pretty much my PoV character for those parts, and I liked how clearly and openly traumatized he was by the whole thing.

Finally, Teen Groot in the credits scene was awesome. I like that people other than Rocket are learning to understand him.

EDIT: Can't believe I spaced this bit: I totally want Nebula and Bucky to meet up at some point during Infinity War and bond over having cybernetic replacement left arms :D

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Raindog said:

Centurion: From 2010. A roman legion is in Pict territory. Much better than King Arthur. It stars no one I know. I found it a great period action movie and was surprised how good it was. Plus, it is on Netflix.

8/10

Starring Michael Fassbender and The Onion Knight. I just finished watching it and really enjoyed it. Super bonus points for pointing out a good Netflix movie, RD!

• Like 2

A couple from the last few days:

The Disappointments Room: This film belongs in that room. It's otherwise just another cookie-cutter House Possession flick, like The Canal or The Amityville Horror, with the sole twist that it's the wife who gets targeted instead of the husband.

Antibirth: @%$#ing weird, but I really enjoyed it. A lot of people make comparisons with Cronenberg's Body Horror films. I honestly didn't really find much horror in it, but it was a great trip. Natasha Lyonne is absolutely perfect here. Highly recommended if you're into that sort of thing.

• Like 1

Man I'm depressed after these to flick fests.

The Lobster - Very unusual film and super quirky. Odd doesn't begin to describe it. 7/10 (f you don't like abstract weird films avoid this.)

Manchester By The Sea - Very well done but oh man so depressing! Don't watch it if you want to be happy. 6/10 (would have been better if I didn't want to crawl into bed for a week after)

• Like 1

On Mon May 08 2017 at 8:21 PM, WestRider said:

Some more on GotG2, under a cut because spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

I definitely agree to some extent with the people who think that the family stuff was overdone. My relationship with my dad is not such that it let me identify with Quill during all the scenes with his dad. Found those kind of dragging and too long. Was kind of hoping for a "Who's your daddy?" joke to lighten things up during Yondu's death. I did like the Nebula/Gamora family parts, tho.

Speaking of Quill's dad, you'd think that a being that had lived for millions (or billions? I wasn't entirely clear on how much time was involved total) of years would have a bit more patience. If he hadn't tried to rush Quill into his plan so fast, and had kept closer control over Mantis, he could have gradually manipulated him to the point where, a few years later, Quill would have been enthusiastic to help.

The two sequences where that crew of Ravagers all got massacred really disturbed me. Particularly the second one, which was presented as being righteous, and even gleeful, but, honestly, was just as screwed up as the first. The whole fact of that happening kind of paints Yondu as a really bad captain, too, to have let his crew fracture that badly. He should have been keeping a better ear to the ground, pushing out those who didn't agree with his changes of direction for the group.

I did really like Kraglin, tho. He was pretty much my PoV character for those parts, and I liked how clearly and openly traumatized he was by the whole thing.

Finally, Teen Groot in the credits scene was awesome. I like that people other than Rocket are learning to understand him.

EDIT: Can't believe I spaced this bit: I totally want Nebula and Bucky to meet up at some point during Infinity War and bond over having cybernetic replacement left arms :D

There is something Thanos never told you. I AM your father! - Bucky, probably

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Romans832 said:

UnderWorld Blood Wars: 8/10 - Had to google why the lack of a main character... sounds like they're focusing on mother/daughter now instead of lover... interesting...

Bought it love me some good underworld... baby has made it impossible to watch at this time. Glad you rated it as high as you have...

And to be on topic, Moana 9.5/10 great jokes, solid message, good songs, and can hold up to tens bordering on a hundred viewings and still be enjoyable. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VonVilkee said:

Bought it love me some good underworld... baby has made it impossible to watch at this time. Glad you rated it as high as you have...

And to be on topic, Moana 9.5/10 great jokes, solid message, good songs, and can hold up to tens bordering on a hundred viewings and still be enjoyable. 

Also another great movie.

I think it did well with the Underworld Series, but it sure was helpful reading up "what happened".
But don't look it up till after watching

• Like 1

13 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

6 string Samurai - 6.5/10

Buddy Holly journeys to Vegas after Elvis has died, leaving rock n roll without a king, but he isn't alone in pursuit of the crown. Slash, Lord of Death, also covets the kings throne.

Don't you mean 3.9/6 strings?

• Like 3

Viral: Pretty much a by-the-numbers biological (as opposed to supernatural) zombie flick, but they use the formula well. The few stupid decisions made are pretty understandable, and there's some surprisingly good characterization and acting. Honestly, the biggest problem I have with the movie is that it's called "viral", but the infectious agent is a parasitic worm. I guess maybe they were trying to use that to refer to the YouTube videos that some of the characters are getting information from or something, maybe?

The Beast of Xmoor: Seemed like there might be some interesting stuff in there, and there were a few bits that I did particularly like, but for a lot of it, the screen is so dark that I literally couldn't see a thing, and from what I was hearing, some of those parts sounded like the visuals were pretty important.

• Like 1

Invoked: I know I've said some bad things about various Found Footage horror flicks on here, but I now kind of regret it, because I'm running out of ways to convey just how much worse Invoked was than any of the others. Terrible characters, more than half the time it's so dark I couldn't see anything, and during most of the times I can see, I kind of wish I couldn't.

They're Watching: Now we're talking. This one, on the other hand, is possibly the best Found Footage horror flick I've ever seen. It's a very slow burn, but when it finally kicks into gear toward the end, it's great. Most of the effects are pretty cheesy and low-budget, but it still hit its mark very well despite that.

Chappie 8/10

What happens when you combine Ripley, Wolverine, Die Antword and Robots? A surprisingly god damn good movie. If you would have told me anything about it before hand I probably wouldn't have been quick to watch, but I went in knowing only that it had a robot. Watched it Friday night and about to watch it again. 

Like an R rated Batteries Not Included or Short Circuit but not so 80s.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder Woman 8/10

Finally, from the new DC series of movies, a great one!  Parts of it feel a LOT like Captain America: The First Avenger, but that is not a bad thing.  In some ways I think they borrowed from the MCU and made the focus a lot less on the villain and way more on the hero, which worked.  It was a great super hero movie, no doubt about it.  This coming from someone who really disliked both MoS and BvsS also...

• Like 3

Wonder Woman. Frankly, it was Wonderful! Sorry, I couldn't resist. Seriously, tho, excellent flick. I could definitely see what Ando was talking about in terms of echoes with Cap 1, but it wasn't in a bad way at all. Well, except maybe it would have helped move away from that a little without costing the story anything if they'd named the male lead anything other than Steve ;) Haven't seen a DC movie that good since The Dark Knight. Will definitely watch it again.