Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Doctor Strange 2.5/5

Civil War 3/5

I just rewatched both. Next time I watch Strange better involve some LSD or Fungi. Actually, it reminds me of smoking DMT. Very much so. The ending, regardless of being true to source or not (I wouldn't know), still blows as bad as Fantastic Four. Beyond that, I feel it was mostly a visually stimulating film and don't find much enjoyment from it beyond that. If I wanted to watch about a rich entitled ass hole getting what he wants, I'd watch the news. 

Which leads greatly into Civil War. Why was Black Mariah showing Iron Man a picture of her dead son, and we don't hear about him except from Tony ever again. I feel that the emotions driving the story in Civil War were more relatable, I guess, and why I still feel it is mildly stronger. 

They both still blow Catwoman, Daredevil, and Elektra out of the water. I still refuse to rewatch those. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Doctor Strange 2.5/5

Civil War 3/5

I just rewatched both. Next time I watch Strange better involve some LSD or Fungi. Actually, it reminds me of smoking DMT. Very much so. The ending, regardless of being true to source or not (I wouldn't know), still blows as bad as Fantastic Four. Beyond that, I feel it was mostly a visually stimulating film and don't find much enjoyment from it beyond that. If I wanted to watch about a rich entitled ass hole getting what he wants, I'd watch the news. 

Which leads greatly into Civil War. Why was Black Mariah showing Iron Man a picture of her dead son, and we don't hear about him except from Tony ever again. I feel that the emotions driving the story in Civil War were more relatable, I guess, and why I still feel it is mildly stronger.

Strange totally missed the mark on his character arc. He needed to go from arrogant to humble, but instead, he just touched down at humble for like 45 seconds, and then went right back to being all arrogant and entitled again.

Civil War had two big problems in that regard. One was trying to pack too much into one movie. There should have been Winter Soldier 2 about Steve finding Bucky again, and then Avengers: Civil War about the split in the team. As it was, we only got about half of a bunch of parts, like that dead kid, because they couldn't fit them in properly. The other was that they had failed badly to set it up properly in the earlier movies. The breach between the two halves of the team didn't have the emotional impact it needed because we never actually saw them being a good team and friends together. Instead, both the previous Avengers movies played up the conflict between Steve and Tony, making this feel less like a tragedy, and more like an inevitability.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WestRider said:

Strange totally missed the mark on his character arc. He needed to go from arrogant to humble, but instead, he just touched down at humble for like 45 seconds, and then went right back to being all arrogant and entitled again.

Civil War had two big problems in that regard. One was trying to pack too much into one movie. There should have been Winter Soldier 2 about Steve finding Bucky again, and then Avengers: Civil War about the split in the team. As it was, we only got about half of a bunch of parts, like that dead kid, because they couldn't fit them in properly. The other was that they had failed badly to set it up properly in the earlier movies. The breach between the two halves of the team didn't have the emotional impact it needed because we never actually saw them being a good team and friends together. Instead, both the previous Avengers movies played up the conflict between Steve and Tony, making this feel less like a tragedy, and more like an inevitability.

says you, I loved both.

• Like 1

I love CACW, and have re-watched it repeatedly, but that doesn't mean I can't see it's flaws. Seriously, they tried to pack way too much in there, and a lot of it really doesn't have enough support to hold it together. And that exchange that's supposed to sum up the whole Civil War arc of the film, the "He's my friend." "So was I." We never actually got to see that. Both previous films that had Tony and Steve in, they were all up in each other's grills the vast majority of the time.

The bit about Strange is more subjective. That's the arc I wanted to see, and the one we got felt less like an arc and more like a little tiny bump in an otherwise flat line. Also, I just don't like Cumberbatch, and I will acknowledge that that biased my feelings about the film.

8 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

WW - 8/10 - could easily have been a 9, but the ending somehow got the typical DC treatment of just being "meh". My wife couldn't get over how beautiful she was. WW casting gets a 10 outta 10.

Agreed. It was an easy 9/10 until they pasted the bad guys face on a buff young body. I loved that he bucked the stereotype until then. Gal Gadot isn't just pretty; I think this was the best acted super flick in maybe ever.

• Like 2

Another recent handful on Netflix, from the last week or so:

Clown: Yet another that had some cool ideas and bits, but I found unengaging because I didn't actually care about any of the characters. Fine for having on in the background, tho.

Backcountry: Basically pure Bad Decision Theatre. Also pretty sure that no one with any creative control over the film had any actual experience with bears whatsoever. The growling sounded so fake that I was sure it was going to end up being some dude in a bear costume or something. Unless you really do something wrong, real bears tend to be more like this:

tumblr_opnsryHmYV1v1frjoo1_400.gif

Yes, they are occasionally predatory toward humans, and the film is roughly based on an actual attack, but the details of how the bear behaved all felt more like a generic horror movie monster than an actual predator.

Some of the music was really cool, tho. Sort of a Godspeed! You Black Emperor vibe.

The Shrine: A genuinely good one. Very creepy and atmospheric for the most part. There was a bit in the middle where it felt like it was trying to turn into an action movie and not pulling it off, but they recovered really well, and I really liked the end.

Preservation: I had basically the same reaction as to Clown, but more so. Especially since the one character who seemed like they might have been kind of interesting is the first one killed off.

The Human Centipede: I kind of expected it to be too over the top to have any real impact, but some surprisingly good performances, especially from Dieter Laser, really make it hit home. Very creepy and disturbing.

The Blood Lands, aka White Settlers: Mostly just confusing. Apparently there's a bunch in there that's supposed to be commentary on the Scottish Independence movement that I missed, but even people more familiar with the topic than I seem to have found that poorly handled and unclear.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Swan-of-War said:

I watched Clown too on a whim.  Same reaction as WestRider, who shares my tendency to turn on schlock Netflix films.  We are brothers.  We are one

Yeah, I find the schlock Netflix stuff great to have on in the background in the evening as I'm winding down and playing the grindy bits of MPQ or something. Good option for when I want to sort of be paying half attention to two different things rather than just focusing on one.

• Like 1

Star Trek: Beyond.

I watched for the third time tonight. Both my wife and I really like it. It has good scores on a Rotten Tomatoes, but I knew when I saw  the movie on opening night  to a theater 1/10 full and my wife and I were the youngest people there. The movie is funny with great Sci-Fi tech. I enjoy it each time I watch it. 9/10

• Like 3

Logan - 6/10 - This is purely based on personal preferences. The movie was just a drag, from start to finish. I kept waiting on some "feel good" moment...but it never arrived. Just not my cup of tea. I don't see the point of having a purely depressing movie. Life gets that way all on its own sometimes. I want my movie time to be a fun experience.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Brother Glacius said:

Logan - 6/10 - This is purely based on personal preferences. The movie was just a drag, from start to finish. I kept waiting on some "feel good" moment...but it never arrived. Just not my cup of tea. I don't see the point of having a purely depressing movie. Life gets that way all on its own sometimes. I want my movie time to be a fun experience.

I remember Howard Tayler writing something similar in his review. I think it's a great movie, but it's absolutely not a fun movie by any means.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2017 at 7:33 PM, Yarbicus said:

The Girl with All the Gifts

Without a doubt the best zombie movie I have ever seen. Also, another fantastic young female lead.

Just watched this (free on Amazon Prime video). I really enjoyed it, though I thought it got pretty goofy right at the very end.

The Void 8/10

Pretty decent horror flick and gets going into it reasonably fast. Decent acting and the make up and effects and top notch. Very reminiscent of a rob zombie style flick aka 1000 corpses and has that dingy weird feel about it. Overall an enjoyable flick and would see again. 

• Like 1

Havenhurst: Quite good, up until the end, when they try to do some action sequences that they really didn't have the budget for. Even taking that into account, it's one of the better horror films I've seen on Netflix. Also, it stars Julie Benz, who played Darla on Buffy and Angel, so that was cool.

• Like 2

Hunter Prey 2010 7.5/10

pretty much as close to a 40k movie as you can get. Group of Tau Pathfinders are tracking one of gaunts ghosts across a barren desert planet. 

Truthfully it's pretty close to a tau type race following a human. Pretty reasonable flick to have on in the background whilst painting. Acting is ok but if you are after a 40k ish movie it's not too bad! Not Event horizon good but a solid 7.5 out of 10 for the theme! :)

• Like 3