Rate the Last Movie You Saw

2 hours ago, necrontyr said:

Spiderman: Honecoming

9/10

Marvel nailed this one. Great integration into the MCU, while still standing on it's own. Tom Holland was an awesome Spiderman, Michael Keaton was an awesome villain, and the effects were flawless. Best Marvel movie since Guardians 1.

Homecoming was great...I already want to see it again.  Keaton was, as I expected awesome in the movie, and without him I wonder if it would have been a success.  He is a great villain in the film.

Tony Stark was not too much in the movie...which I feared it would be.

8/10 easily for me.

• Like 2

Curse of Chucky: Actually really quite good. Captures a lot of the feel of late 80s/early 90s horror flicks, but without getting too cheesy or self-conscious about it. There was actually one moment when the gore got to even me, when a character is bandaging a slice in their own leg, shown very clearly. Not exactly what you expect from the 6th entry in a series, and the first one to go direct-to-video. The Netflix version unfortunately doesn't include a post-credits scene that's the actual conclusion of the movie, but you can find it on YouTube.

• Like 1

Wonder Woman 

2/5.

Quite disappointing. Almost every joke in the film was gender related. Protagonist was not stongwilled, she just followed the flow of things, until directly challenged with things like "you can't there, it's no man's land" and other, often gender related, reasons she couldn't proceed. Entire WW1 setting seemed selected for sexist overtones. Romance subplot, also seemed very out of place. 

Disappointing, Wonder Woman is awesome, this film was not. 

The Punisher. Not nearly as bad as I'd been led to expect. It's actually somewhat decent as a generic Cop vs. Mob movie. It's just terrible at being a Punisher movie.

I'm actually a little curious why Netflix has it at all. I could see it making for some bad publicity for their upcoming Punisher series. Or maybe they're hoping that the contrast will generate interest.

• Like 1

First Blood. The only Rambo movie I'd seen before was Rambo III, which ended up almost being a parody of itself. The first one is far, far better. I actually hesitate to call it an action film. It feels in many ways more like a psychological horror film about PTSD and the difficulties veterans faced on returning from Vietnam. Easily the best performance I've ever seen from Stallone, but I admit, I haven't yet seen the first Rocky, either.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Raindog said:

Oh my goodness, Spider-man is good. It is funny and sweet and filled with good characters. Yes, they play will canon. Get over it. It is my third favorite mcu after  Winter Soldier and Guardians. 8/10

As simple as it was, my wife and I also both really liked the (typical Marvel) scene at the end of the credits.

• Like 2

Spidey - 9/10. We loved it. Kept us in the movie the whole time. Really enjoyed the fact that they made you feel like he was in HS. If I wanted to be really picky, there are two things that sort of stand out as "wha??". The first is Aunt May. Not that I don't like the actress, but that isn't the May I grew up with. The other part was the high tech Spidey suit. External web shooters?? Again, that's being really picky. On the flip side, the tech suit added some opportunities to add dialog to spidey only scenes. I do think they went too far with what it could do, but it does fit with the story they have created. I mean if Tony Stark makes you a suit, it isn't just going to be stretchy. :)

• Like 3

On 7/12/2017 at 0:16 AM, WestRider said:

First Blood. The only Rambo movie I'd seen before was Rambo III, which ended up almost being a parody of itself. The first one is far, far better. I actually hesitate to call it an action film. It feels in many ways more like a psychological horror film about PTSD and the difficulties veterans faced on returning from Vietnam. Easily the best performance I've ever seen from Stallone, but I admit, I haven't yet seen the first Rocky, either.

I've been thinking about this more, and I keep thinking about how it's impossible to watch this movie without expectations at this point. There's no way to view it like it was when it first came out, before Rambo was a byword for over the top action movies. It's just become too embedded in culture to approach without a bunch of preconceptions.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2017 at 3:20 PM, Yarbicus said:

The Void 7/10

On Netflix.  Actually a very well done horror movie along the lines of The Thing.  Low budget but effective.

I've had this on my list for bit, finally got around to watching it. It does suffer a bit from the low budget, but not much. The Carpenter comparison is apt; I got vibes of both The Thing and Prince of Darkness for certain. Definitely worth a watch if you're into that sort of thing.

Mortal Kombat. As you know if you read my posts in this thread, I watch a lot of horror movies. But I really don't think I've seen anything as horrifying as Christopher Lambert's Raiden wig. Liu Kang, Shang Tsung, and the scenery were all pretty good. Basically everyone and everything else is worse than original Star Trek terrible. This isn't a surprise by any means, I was in the mood for a bad movie and got what I was looking for. The surprise was actually how good most of Kang's fights were. Robin Shou actually knows his stuff, and did a bunch of his own fight choreography, and it shows.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, WestRider said:

Mortal Kombat. As you know if you read my posts in this thread, I watch a lot of horror movies. But I really don't think I've seen anything as horrifying as Christopher Lambert's Raiden wig. Liu Kang, Shang Tsung, and the scenery were all pretty good. Basically everyone and everything else is worse than original Star Trek terrible. This isn't a surprise by any means, I was in the mood for a bad movie and got what I was looking for. The surprise was actually how good most of Kang's fights were. Robin Shou actually knows his stuff, and did a bunch of his own fight choreography, and it shows.

Oh man. You've never seen MK? You're in for a treat. Go watch MK2. It's like MK, but soooo much worse.

And the best part of the original Mortal Kombat movie was just the intro song. "MORTAL KOMBAT dun dund undun"

• Like 6
  • Haha 1