Rate the Last Movie You Saw

V/H/S: Viral: I mistakenly put this on thinking it was one of the earlier ones. This volume is just garbage. Editing that is both objectively bad and doesn't make sense within the Found Footage conceit of the film, really obnoxious artificially-induced "glitches" beyond anything I've ever seen on YouTube, aggressively unlikable characters, just generally awful. Give it a miss.

Aliens covenant:  7/10

As a long time fan of the franchise I was excited to finally watch this one.

It was competent as far as acting and special effects.  It was also nice that it followed Prometheus and wrapped up some plot questions.  

The action starts pretty early though so it was hard to connect to characters before they started having issues with staying alive :)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Psilence said:

Aliens covenant:  7/10

As a long time fan of the franchise I was excited to finally watch this one.

It was competent as far as acting and special effects.  It was also nice that it followed Prometheus and wrapped up some plot questions.  

The action starts pretty early though so it was hard to connect to characters before they started having issues with staying alive :)

Spot on, love aliens and Prometheus? See it... don't know who Sigourney Weaver is or what an awesome movie alien is? See alien!

• Like 1

XX and Holidays: A couple of horror anthology films. As with most anthologies, there's some significant variation in quality, and some of the segments (perhaps most notably the third story in XX) would really benefit from getting a full-length movie all to themselves, but both had some very good entries, and none of them were actually bad. I was particularly fond of the Christmas one in Holidays because it has Seth Green in it, and I haven't seen him in anything in ages, but Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, and the first story in XX were all standouts as well.

"What happened to Monday"

Very good dystopian future sci-fi Netflix original.

Noomi Rapace (the girl with the dragon tattoo series (not the [big bad swear word]ty American "this time with more explosions" version with the heiress of not one, but two American football franchises)) plays 7 identical sisters living in a world that allows only one child per family. 

If you want to watch a dystopian future movie with a cast that doesn't resemble the Disney Channel's dumping grounds, then I'd suggest this one.

Two severed thumbs up. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

After DBS ended, it started auto-playing the trailer for Little Evil. I hadn't really been interested by the description, but in the trailer, I saw that it stars Adam Scott and Evangeline Lilly, so I gave it a try. Basically a comedy-horror remake of The Omen in a lot of ways. There were a few parts that edged into the kind of social awkwardness that I have trouble with, but it was good over all. The Step-fathers' Support Group he goes to has some absolutely great bits.

10 hours ago, WestRider said:

Deep Blue Sea: Rewatched it on a whim since it was on Netflix. Pretty cheesy, but worth it for LL Cool J, and the scene where Sam Jackson gets chomped.

A classic. One of those movies I can watch an infinite number of times.

Makes for a good drinking game too. Take a drink every time Tom Jane slips and falls over. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Descent: OK, first off, I suffer from claustrophobia and acrophobia, and read Lovecraft's The Lurking Fear when I was way too young to deal with it. As such, this film is pretty much tailor-made to scare the $#!^ out of me, and I'm really glad that my apartment is on the top floor of my building. Even leaving those factors aside, tho, this was a damn good flick, that does a great job of gradually building up the tension level.

Also, it had a really great poster, which I put up in the random photo thread.

• Haha 1

A Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica: A really interesting watch with the benefit of 25 years of hindsight. It's kind of funny at points, when they're talking about recording techniques that were revolutionary then, but are standard, or even obsolete now. I felt like I could also see some of the tension within the band that eventually led to Jason leaving a couple of decades later.

• Thanks 1

Monsters: I have no idea what this movie was supposed to be about. I think there was something metaphorical about immigration, and the script/director seemed to be under the misapprehension that the two leads had any chemistry whatsoever, and that the various problems in their way were just kind of acts of the universe, or bad luck. Basically all their problems were the male lead's fault , as he questioned and argued with everyone they needed to trust, and then got hammered when they could have been perfectly safe, resulting in them getting robbed. The overall vibe was sort of like one of those student films where it's trying way too hard to be deep and meaningful, but ends up just being confusing and stupid.

When you finally do get to see the creatures, tho, they're pretty cool.

13 hours ago, WestRider said:

Monsters: I have no idea what this movie was supposed to be about. I think there was something metaphorical about immigration, and the script/director seemed to be under the misapprehension that the two leads had any chemistry whatsoever, and that the various problems in their way were just kind of acts of the universe, or bad luck. Basically all their problems were the male lead's fault , as he questioned and argued with everyone they needed to trust, and then got hammered when they could have been perfectly safe, resulting in them getting robbed. The overall vibe was sort of like one of those student films where it's trying way too hard to be deep and meaningful, but ends up just being confusing and stupid.

When you finally do get to see the creatures, tho, they're pretty cool.

I see what you are saying but I love that movie.  Great atmosphere and I love when "the big bad" mostly exists in the background.

• Like 1