Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Kongzilla

Mechagodzilla, NERV HQ, and plug suit time was severely under used. I'm not a fan of the MV Godzilla design, nor mechazilla, but the fit each other.  Turkey bats should have started singing. I am pretty sure that isn't how defibrillators work. Having the pilot talking out the forward windows to the deaf person to his rear, repeatedly, was old.  Fun movie. Doesn't feel like a waste of time, unlike Rise of Skywalker.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New Mortal Kombat 

It was odd. A much better adaptation than the 1995 version (though I know some love it). They still got Reptile wrong, and it was weird that the main protagonist was a hitherto unknown character. A mix of Johnny Cage and Baraka (I thought).

It felt heavily edited. Then again, a 2.5 hour version of the movie would be a lot to sit through.

It felt like they couldn't decide if it was the first movie in a 2 or 3 part series or a standalone movie. I'm guessing the studio pressured them to make it work either way and, depending on reaction, they'll go further. If they don't, the story is incomplete. If they do, some iconic characters will be missed.

On 3/27/2021 at 10:04 AM, Munkie said:

Because not only do you know the snap will be undone, there will be no moral questions about whether undoing it is right, no debate about what the consequences might be, and it turns out there will be no consequences so it's a good thing they didn't waste time wondering if there might be.

There’s three or four scenes that consist of nothing but the characters debating what the consequences of the “time heist” might be. It’s like the entire character arc for Tony... 

And there are major consequences.

The entire plot of both WandaVision and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier rested entirely on exploring the moral questions of the snap, the snap’s undoing, and the consequences of both. Spider-Man: Far From Home also touched on these issues, albeit not as heavily. 

We haven’t seen it yet, but it seems quite likely that these issues will also be a major part of the story in Black Widow, Loki, Hawkeye, Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness, and likely the next Spider-Man.... Probably gonna be a major part of Thor’s journey in Thor: Love and Thunder too.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ish said:

There’s three or four scenes that consist of nothing but the characters debating what the consequences of the “time heist” might be. It’s like the entire character arc for Tony... 

He is concerned exclusively about his family. He doesn't want to go back in time to prevent the snap because he'd lose his family. Beyond that, they care only about bringing back Hawkeye's family, and bringing back their friends. There is no consideration about the moral implications of any of it.

It is wrong for Thanos to snap people away. Therefore, reversing that is morally right (as long as Stark keeps his family). Never do they consider that just because they have the power to bring people back from the dead, maybe it's not their right to do so. 

How many oppressed worlds were able to liberate themselves because, due to random chance, their oppressive regimes were imbalanced and toppled?

How many people lost loved ones and moved on in the ensuing 5 years, only to to have the lost return, hurt and alienated that they no longer have the family they once knew?

Do the Avengers stop for even the briefest moment to consider anyone they don't know by name? Of course not. They are completely self-absorbed. 

But you're right, after Disney made 20 MCU films, they have finally started asking some moral questions with their less cookie cutter projects on Disney+.

WandaVision started off as a really interesting show, but got more boring as it went on, to the point where I didn't like the Scarlet Witch AT ALL by the end. A completely unrelatable, and frankly garbage human being. But good for her for finally deciding to emancipate her slaves once she realized slavery is still wrong. Bummer for her.

Falcon and Winter Soldier is the first interesting thing MCU has put out since Thor Ragnarok.

Regardless, none of this has anything to do with my review of Justice League. I enjoyed it because it felt different. I prefer DC because there is more creative space. There isn't the dogmatic adherence to timelines, you don't have to have the same actors reprise their roles, etc. Want Margot Robbie to play Harley Quinn? Go for it. Want Kaley Cuoco to play Harley Quinn? Go for it. It's a sandbox to play in, not a tightly controlled and absolutely massive project spanning dozens and dozens of hours.

It’s a sandbox to play in, but most of the films have looked like the result of a cat using the sandbox... 

I’m a dyed in the wool DC Comics fanboy, but their cinematic efforts ever since TimeWarner decided to chase after the MCU have ranged from terrible to mediocre. Wonder Woman and Shazam have been their best... and frankly, they’re merely average. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1