What books are you reading or have recently read?

Raak

Sounds like you should sell it to the used book store.  

Yeah, I sometimes treat Twice Sold Tales as a sort of Book Rental service. Go in, buy a bunch of used books, sell them back after I'm done with them. They still get something from my purchase and the chance to re-sell, and I'm not stuck with books I'm not going to read again clogging up my apartment.

• Like 2

Given that he already bought the book, that doesn't really apply in this case. Also, I usually do this for the kind of old-school SF/F/pulp that's not really popular enough these days for libraries to have in their collections. Did the Lensman series that way, for instance, and a bunch of Doc Savage. Also good for picking up books I'm planning on traveling with, or taking into some other situation where they might get beat up.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just finished Leviathan Wakes, by James Corey. I really enjoyed it, and started the next book in 'The Expanse' series: Caliban's War. I haven't watched any of the TV show yet, the books are so good that I want to experience the story that way -- as opposed to GoT where I watch the show but can't imagine ever reading the books ;-)

What have a recently read? Well I bought into the Horus Heresy Humble Bundle, so I finished reading Fulgrim and Descent of Angels pretty quickly. I have to admit, having the HH books on my Kindle is really nice. Although currently I am reading The City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke. So far it has been interesting. I am kind of digging some of the old timey sci-fi concepts being explored.   

• Like 1

The Dragon Lance Villain series. I love reading about a villian for a change. 

I've only gotten through Behind the Mask-this one is about Verminaards who is the Dragonlord that appears in the first chronicle book. By the end of it you just get excited by the difficult choices which he has to make. 

I am in the middle of The Black Wing which is about a black dragon which is a very interesting perspective. 

• Like 2

Just read Old Man's War by John Scalzi.

It's on a bunch of "must read" lists but the backpage description never grabbed my attention so I skipped it. Picked it up on a very glowing recommendation from a friend.

Holy

Cow

So good. Sitting here, staring at a blank page trying to put my finger on why. Got it. The economy of his writing is staggering. Fully fleshed out ancillary characters that feel like real people after only a couple lines of dialog. A spanning universe full of life and action, seen flashing by through the window as you drive past. Plots and subplots that live a natural life in the background.

Dude packs 6 or 7 books worth of world building into one (that still ends up feeling light and quick).

Whatever you're reading right now, toss it into a fire. Save it the shame of not being this book. Hyperbole aside, I thoroughly enjoyed and highly recommend.

;)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The Abyss Surrounds Us and The Edge of the Abyss, by Emily Skrutskie. Pirates and the genetically-engineered sea monsters that legit ships use to defend against them in a post-collapse world. My favorite new books that I've run across in a long time. I haven't gone through anything this fast since the last time I got my hands on something new by Seanan McGuire. If you like her stuff, I'd say you've got a good chance of liking these.

• 6 months later...

"Are mermaids real? Yes. Are mermaids friendly? No. Why is this so hard?"
 - Dr. Jillian Toth

Into the Drowning Deep, by Mira Grant. With Rolling in the Deep and The Last Stand of the California Browncoats, Grant showed that she could tell me right up front that everyone in the story was going to die, and then still make me care enough about them in the space of a novella that it hurt when they did. Into the Drowning Deep (sequel to Rolling in the Deep, but it doesn't matter if you haven't read the first one), on the other hand, cranks the tension up way higher by not telling us that everyone is going to die, but leaving it a constant and very real possibility.

The reason everyone is likely to die is the mermaids mentioned in the quote at the start of this post. The book basically grew from the premise "What if mermaids actually existed? What kind of creature could fit all the characteristics of those myths, but both actually exist, and largely avoid detection by anyone who survives?" The answer Grant came up with is a pretty nasty aquatic apex predator, and, as in so many stories like this, the people going looking for them aren't really prepared for what they find. It's somewhat reminiscent of the Alien movies in that regard, actually.

On 1/2/2014 at 10:14 AM, nathonicus said:

I tried to read WOOL after Old Man Stark recommended it, but couldn't maintain my interest past the prologue.

I was in the same boat...I couldn't get into it at all...read the first story, and it was just truly "meh" to me...

Currently reading Peter Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga...Book one was Pandora's Star.  Interesting Sci Fi....now reading the follow up, Judas Unchained.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Weav said:

41Obaetsw4L._SX338_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Staring at the cover while holding your half empty tumbler does not constitute "reading or recently read" 🤓

Court of the Air 3/5

Steampunk with Magic in a midevil setting. Robots, railways, flying ships, invading kingdoms, old sleeping gods reawakening, and secret police.  Fun setting. Pretty much Bubble gum reading, though. Not too deep, nor morally ambiguous.  Could reread on a rainy Windsday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

hmmm finished quite a few books this past year... currently on the second book in the Annihilation series (listening).  Decent story telling - 2nd book so far is good.  Finished the Ancillary series (by Ann Leckie)... loved them - can't recommend them highly enough.  Read Old Mans War this year as well - currently re-reading them as a graphic novel - very good.  Currently reading Ann Leckie's newest book - Provenance - which is also set in the same universe as the Ancillary books.

-d

• Like 2