returning to Cryx

esperatus

Thank you for selling them to me! :) I don't play nearly as much as I'd like, but did happen to wander into the local gamestore on WM/H night, and got wistful. I really wish more Warhamsters would play it.

The guitar strings look great! If you haven't already, check out Greenstuff Industries' Tentacle Makers. They're pretty wonderful.

• Like 1

Thanks for giving them some play. You giving them paint is part of my inspiration to revisit them. Yours came out really well. I still have a few Khador models to finish but I am about ready to switch to Cryx so have been cleaning up parts.

Seems Dark Tower is getting good response for the March Warmachine tourney. There might be more folks playing in your 'hood than you think. The local journeyman league broke records for attendance.

I see. Didn't realize there was segregation in the gaming community there. We are lucky just to get community here. Thanks for the Greenstuff Industries suggestion. My first thought was too organic, but looking at their examples decided, even if not for this project, they are a must have for the tool box.

I really just started playing WM/H but if card kingdom is any indication (with almost 70 in the journeyman league) the community seems to be supporting WM/H pretty well. I think your guitar strings inclusion looks awesome and also can't say enough good things about the tentacle thing. Somehow 40k never got me to care about painting and modeling like WM/H.

• Like 1

I see. Didn't realize there was segregation in the gaming community there. We are lucky just to get community here. Thanks for the Greenstuff Industries suggestion. My first thought was too organic, but looking at their examples decided, even if not for this project, they are a must have for the tool box.

I don't think derisive segregation, so much as we've got a lot of gamers for a small city, and there's one primary store. Partly it's an artifact of the fact that, when we were at Eagles, there were different nights set aside for different game systems. Tuesday was Warhammer Fantasy, and I think Wed was 40k, and Thursday was Warmachine (or vice versa). Fanatsy was where the Warhamsters started, and when we started to diversify into other systems, we drew other folks in. It's just that WM/H never picked up with the Warhamsters, Instead, diversification took the form of 40k, Malifaux, Dystopian Wars, Infinity, and now X-wing, Flames of War, and the like. I know when the big 8th edition Fantasy exodus happened alot of ex-Fantasy folks picked up WM/H, but it just never happened in our area. We went more the story-telling skirmish game route instead.

• 3 months later...

The Greenstuff Industries tentacle makers arrived and I gave them a try last night. The order had been delayed by a product upgrade for which an apology and $10 refund were received. They are frickin nifty. Simplicity itself and work very well. They won't get much use on these Cryx as I like the guitar strings for machines but the slightly more organic biles are prime recipients. Thanks for the tip Jim.

• 1 month later...
xRb3UX2.jpg hopefully this works. Pictures or it didn't happen, file size limits, and technophobia make strange bed fellows. Green Stuff Industries helped to make these disgusting guys even more so. My first official Cryx unit, actually two minimum units but I plan to Excarnate a few so need extras. So far I am loving the dark side.

• 1 month later...

Thanks. It is so much easier, faster, and looks better in my imagining. But it's coming along. First list: Scaverous@50 pts should be ready in a month or so. I try to think in terms of 3 lists @50 with character restrictions. Scaverous will be, hopefully, an anti Legion, Circle, and well hordes in general. He is probably my #3 caster with pDenny #1, pSkarre #2, but Cryx is spoiled for choices with great casters. C and C appreciated.

Scaverous

Skarlock

Deathjack

Bonejack probably Deathripper maybe Defiler

Max Bane Knights

Tartersauce

Max Crow's

Min Biles w/skarlock

Darath Wrath

Warwitch Siren

My thinking is it should be fun, strong, but not so OP that it isn't fun to play against. Generally I would take Bane Thralls over Knights, but Vengeance, Reach, and not having to dole out Ghostly tips the scales in their favor. They get Tarterus because pDenny and Skarre don't need him, same with DJ. This list should not have to crack armor. I hope to maximise TK and excarnate. In my dreams I have 5 boosted to hit Excarnates or TK madness with much backstabby/poison action with a 4 inch swing in threat range. Yes, the dream games like the imaginary painting always goes so well.

pDenny is the armor cracker, she has mostly mercs who shoot but also melee

pSkarre is melee heavy for hex proof, no casting within x situations but may swap to eSkarre T4 as pHalley and Menoth in general have me looking for answers.

A friend, who plays Cryx well, described Skarre1 and Denegrha1 as similar casters, and I see that, especially in the way he chose to play them. I don't entirely agree with him, but conceding his point, the main difference between them is Skarre1 buffs, Denegrha1 debuffs. Fully aware it is not entirely true I believe it is generally true and particularly relevant when things cannot be targeted by spells. I see Skarre1 as being very strong but limited to melee in that her feat and Dark Guidance are her greatest assets, though her rack is great. Denegrha1 can achieve similar effects with debuffs but the beauty of the debuff it is not melee nor faction dependant so the mercs I have painted for Khador such as Boomhowler and Celyna can get some work.

I agree with you about the improbability of Scaverous dominating anything outside the painting table and that Darath Wraith would be better off somewhere else. My thought is that if ever Bile Thralls could work this would be the time, with Excarnate, TK, in a game of inches Darath might shine here. At the moment he isn't needed else where. Skarre1 will start with T4 Shore Leave, when I get serious, Darath and Soul Hunters will go with her.

• 3 weeks later...