Rate the last series/season you saw (TV)

11 minutes ago, Yarbicus said:

I liked Iron Fist OK but it is the first of the bunch to feel formulaic. However, undead Faramir was awesome.

He was definitely taking lessons from Denethor on crazy patriarchy.  

Wife and I enjoyed it.  Continued the Marvel/Netflix streak of generally having much more interesting villains than the movies.  

On March 25, 2017 at 11:32 PM, WestRider said:

I need to try X-Files again. Apparently, the two episodes I've seen are among the worst in the entire series, so the impression I got of the show is not particularly accurate :P

One of those shows where you need to watch it in order. 

Anyway, 3/5 for Iron fist. Started out really strong, but I feel it gets progressively worse towards the end. Really wanted to see more, actual, martial arts. Better than some, but it's still the Xena Warrior princess style fighting, where the camera switches each time a blow is dealt. Protagonist is far too emotional - this seems to be a trend with the marvel series of late, and I don't really like it. I like my heroes to be strong willed, not emotional wrecks. Anyway, I enjoyed watching it, but probably won't watch it again and there's really nothing special in this one.

Been Watching Haven (I think I've watch 3 full seasons, presently somewhere in the 4th season). 3/5. I like this one, but each time the plot could go somewhere great, they do something else. Series has an overall plot with lots of potental, and they just don't live up to it. Disappointing, but I keep watching in hopes that they really do something awesome. 

Legion.  So good.  Didn't know anything about it or the characters going in, other than it's set in the X-Men universe.  It's a really dark and trippy take on the superhero/mutant genre.  I can tell the writers and effects artists were having a lot of fun with this one.  Can't wait for season 2.  9/10.

• Like 2

One Punch Man. 5/5. Anime with subtitles on Netflix. Reminds me of the Tick. Protagonist is an Overleveled/overpowered super hero who, disappointingly, cannot find any opponents worth fighting and is constantly underestimated. 5/5 despite how lacking the netflix subtitles were (often sections where people are talking for a long time and very brief subtitles are given). 

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:32 PM, WestRider said:

I need to try X-Files again. Apparently, the two episodes I've seen are among the worst in the entire series, so the impression I got of the show is not particularly accurate :P

Be sure to skip the Space episode. It is terrible.

• Like 1

This might have been mentioned earlier, but I refuse to research the 14 pages of this thread for redundancy: TABOO (Tom Hardy BBC show). It is awesome. East India Company vs. The British Crown vs. vs. the American Colonies vs. bad-ass Tom Hardy = 8 episodes of greatness.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paxmiles said:

One Punch Man. 5/5. Anime with subtitles on Netflix. Reminds me of the Tick. Protagonist is an Overleveled/overpowered super hero who, disappointingly, cannot find any opponents worth fighting and is constantly underestimated. 5/5 despite how lacking the netflix subtitles were (often sections where people are talking for a long time and very brief subtitles are given). 

I just finished this show as well...it has been forever since I watched an Anime I enjoyed (I find too many overly sexed or overly violent and depressing). Though obviously there is violence in OPM, the story is fun and it was really entertaining.

2 hours ago, KIRBY said:

This might have been mentioned earlier, but I refuse to research the 14 pages of this thread for redundancy: TABOO (Tom Hardy BBC show). It is awesome. East India Company vs. The British Crown vs. vs. the American Colonies vs. bad-ass Tom Hardy = 8 episodes of greatness.

I really enjoyed this show too, though I was a bit put out regarding

Winter, and the final episode change from psycho-drama to caper show.

Wow we all watch the same shows here.

Iron Fist 6/10. Worst of the 4 MCU Netflix shows. Everyone compares it Arrow but since I don't like DC I don't know. Show starts off strong, then just goes down hill from there. Only really positive thing is now they can make the defenders.

One Punch Man 8.5/10. Just finished it last night. First anime I've ever watched and I can't wait for season 2. So over the top and just great.

Attack on Titan (4 episodes in) 7/10. So far this show is pretty darn awesome. However something is up cause Eren just got his leg eaten and then the rest of him eaten. Seems like you shouldn't kill the main character before halfway through the season.

How I rate other shows; Got 9.9/10, Walking Dead 8/10, Rick & Marty 9/10

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just started watching Bill Nye Saves the world on Netflix. They are 30 minute shows, so they don't go into great depth on topics, but they present a good base of knowledge on each subject they cover. I am only 3 episodes in and they all have been interesting: global warming, GMOs, and how life may have started on earth. 

Edit: forgot ...  8/10

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2017 at 9:37 AM, Purplepeopleeater said:

Hap and Leonard (based of characters from my favorite author Joe R. Lansdale)

Season 1 is basically the book Savage Season. 10/10.

So I watched this show, and I am not sure what to think. I like Hap and Leonard as characters. The direction was solid. The era of the late 1980's was perfectly replicated, but the story was a bit much. It was like a Quentin Tarantino movie without the tongue-in-cheek winking...... 6/10

And yes, it is on Netflix.

Luke Cage S01 (yeah, I'm slow). This is a tough one. The quality of the show was top notch. The characters were believable (for a comic book movie), acting was fine, and the storyline was interesting. I really liked the portrayal of Harlem as, essentially, a character itself. Buuuuuuut, I found the pacing absolutely glacial for much of the show. There were long runs where I'd pop open a fresh browser tab and just listen to the show in the background while I surfed. Over a broadcast season, maybe it'd be better but as a binge-watch it felt like 8 - 10 episodes of content stretched out to 13. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, andy said:

Luke Cage S01 Over a broadcast season, maybe it'd be better but as a binge-watch it felt like 8 - 10 episodes of content stretched out to 13. 

I felt each episode was maybe 15 minutes too long and it could have had a couple epispdes cut out. Luke's acting was a bit of a downer first few episodes as I felt he should have been stronger having just done Jessica Jones. It's not like the rest of the cast who are just being introduced to their characters. 

• Like 1

I find with the Marvel shows, there should really be only 8-10 episodes. Several of the middle shows are filler and drag the over all story down.

I really liked the portrayal of Harlem as, essentially, a character itself.

Indeed!. They tried to do this with Hell's Kitchen, but failed. Mainly, since Hell's Kitchen of today is nothing like it was when the Daredevil character was invented. 

• Like 4

Millenium 5/5.

Watched it a while back, but recently the series became cheap enough to purchase on amazon (I got all 3 seasons for $30). TV show is sort of a crime drama, which has a religion focus. It started in 1996 and is a spin off of x-files. Personally, I think it's better than x-files, but I'm not a fan of aliens in fiction, so could be a bias there. Series ends abruptly at season 3, as the show got canceled, but there is a follow up episode in season 7 of the x-files. Show is worth seeing and is 5/5 despite it being prematurely cancelled.

Protagonist is Frank Black, a formed FBI profiler, who has an uncanny ability to understand a serial killer and predict their next move. Every episode focuses on a murder which he needs solve, with the overall series focusing on the more metaphysical end of crime, murder, and the nature of good and evil. Like the x-files, the cases start mundane and gradually become weirder and weirder. Series is devoid of romance and is very dark (not for kids at all, maybe not for some adults).

Two neat side features of this series. First is all the old "state of the art" technology in the series - they really choose product placement which leaves the entire series feeling dated and this can be very funny at times. Second is that the protagonist has a genuine Lawful Good alignment, which is so very uncommon in modern crime shows (and on TV in general).