Rate the last series/season you saw (TV)

Just finished the first season of Twin Peaks. Feels like they went a little over the top with how many people are cheating on/plotting against/betraying other people, but there are a lot of great characters and the weird stuff is right up my alley.

It also makes me want to spend all day in a diner eating pie and drinking coffee :)

Just finished Season 2 of Continuum

Season 2 started off pretty slow, in fact I stopped watching it because the first couple of episodes were just blah...but it kicked up quite a bit and left off with a major cliff hanger and pretty crazy storyline arc.

As with all time travel related endeavors, you always have to give a bit...but so far it is a pretty interesting tale of intrigue and mystery with the powers that be and their parts they play.

• 2 weeks later...

just finished the gnawing pain of Helix… my god this show sucked.  We stuck with it … tried to find something to hold onto.  But it just never came.  I guess it is renewed for a second season… not sure why.  It's udder garbage.

-1000(black holes) / 4 stars

-d

• 1 month later...

Elementary Season 1: Absolutely brilliant. I've read almost all the original stories, seen many of the various adaptations, but this is far and away my favorite incarnation of Sherlock Holmes yet. The season finale was just mind-blowingly well put together, even tho I'd had the twist spoiled.

• 1 month later...

Elementary Season 2: Not quite as good as Season one, but still excellent. The individual episodes hold up just as well, but the big arc at the end is weaker.

Orphan Black, Seasons 1&2: Even better. OB is my favorite thing to hit TV in ages. Great characters, some amazing acting, interesting concepts, and the science is at least good enough to not set off my BS detector, tho it might not hold up for someone who knows more about evolutionary biology than I do.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched the first two seasons of murika House of Cards before the move and loved it. I just started watching Samurai Champloo last night, really enjoying it. I'm 13 episodes in right now. If you like anime, it's pretty good for the type it is. Somewhere between cowboy bebop and ruroni kenshin.

I gave up on Buffy, couldn't get into it.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't posted on this for a while. Let's see:

CSI: Original (Las vegas)

8/10

Finished up to everything released. I enjoy this one, but it can be depressing. It's basically a modern set Star Trek. Something happens, the crew investigates, they use methods that are very quick to solve things that "real people" would spend much more time on, and we get to a point were the moral bias of the crew affects the official neutral stance of their reason for being involved.

CSI: NY

7/10

I'm working on season 8 of 9 right now. Show isn't as good as the original, but still enjoyable most of the time. Between the two CSIs I've seen, the big difference is that the original always has the body investigated by a corner before the CSI touch it, but CSI NY doesn't do that. Not sure if it's in reference to actual NY/LV law, or if they just wanted a change up, but it is different.

Rick and Morty (First and, presently, only season)

10/10

Pointless, but wonderful show. Very funny. Cartoon. Not really for kids, more targeted at nerds. Basically, crackpot grandfather scientist (Rick) and his submissive whelp of a grandson (Morty) go on adventures across space. They usually have a point where they reference some modern moral/econmic/political quandry, but unlike south park or the simpsons, it's a very subtle element that you might not see if you didn't know much about that topic.

The show is one of the first I've seen with a direct Zardoz parody.

First season is pure camp, it really hits it's stride in later seasons. If you can make it thought to "Once More With Feeling" you get rewarded with one of the best things on TV, ever.

I'll give it another try in the future with that in mind.  

@Pax:  Dragonball Zeto and GT both get tiresome in that regard.  It ultimately turns into 3 episodes of Goku getting his ass handed to him, 3 episodes of him charging a Genki Dama and two Episodes of him retaliating against the villain.  I stopped watching during the Buu saga for that reason.  You're only in the Android Saga.  I'm pretty sure you're early on in it, too.   Watch "The History of Trunks" if you haven't yet.  Then finish the Saga.  Android 17 and Gohan are my two favorite characters from the series.  Cell Saga is pretty good.  It follows the same structure though, he also has multiple forms, lots of blasts, you know the drill.   The newest movie, "The Battle of the Gods" is pretty much Goku fighting Mewtwo.  I watched it in japanese with no subtitles, so I have no idea what was being said, but honestly, you don't have to know what was being said...it's DBZ.

Speaking of Anime, I thought I posted this already:

Watched Samurai Champloo.  I enjoyed it, a lot.  Funny, good fights, good animation and Steve Blum to boot.  

Next on my list is Attack on Titan.  Watched the first episode, definitely going to watch more. 

Next on my list is Attack on Titan.  Watched the first episode, definitely going to watch more. 

I could not stand that one. It wasn't that the action was bad or the plot lacking, I just couldn't get past certain nit picky elements of the visual. I'm normally better with anime, but I couldn't stand this one.

In example, very start of the first episode, they have a windmill built next to a giant wall. I know the point was to show the scale of the wall, but I couldn't get past why you'd build a windmill right next to a giant wall. There shouldn't be much wind at the angle it's positioned, given the wall. I know this is petty, but it was this sort of thing that killed me in the show. The wall itself was also, vastly impractical to have been built by a town of that scale.

They explain the wall better a few episodes later. That doesn't excuse the speed at which the windmill turns, but it explains why their [big bad swear word]hole of a town is protected by a 30 meter wall.

I think I'm on episode 6 now.

Lots of people I know really love that one. Not suggesting that if I dislike it, you can't enjoy it.

Anyway, Finished season 8 of CSI: NY. Checked the wiki, only one season left. This season was 7/10 for most of it, but there were a few episodes, especially the first of the season, which was just off topic - they basically spent the entire season premier as a memorial for September 11, which is fine, but they didn't really solve their normal crime quota at the same time so this episode felt really out of place. I know, each episode is painfully formulaic, so deviation is sometimes nice, but that episode was as if it was a different show with transplanted characters. That episode was fine, provided that you thought of it as a different show.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Watched Invader Zim, season 1. I'm enjoying it. A short comedy that makes me laugh, no need for more.

Have you read Squee or JTHM?  Check them out if you haven't.  

Watched the first season of Knights of Sidonia anime.  Neon Genesis meets Stargate: Universe.  It's good, not great.  Addresses some interesting concepts.  Not kid friendly.

Watched this while painting this week. Not bad as far as animes go.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what to expect. I had some high hopes after House of Cards being so wonderful.  I can't say my mind was blown with how amazingly awesome Knights was, but it was better than I thought it was going to be after the first episode.  Honestly, the thing that bothers me most is how everyone's hair is rendered.  lol  I dig on the whole thing being CGI, but that hair, especially on the characters with longer hair.