X-Wing Wave 4 - Sh*t just got real...

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4645

Holy. Crap.

I've been worried about the future of X-Wing, as with the release of big ships and repaints in the last few waves, it was starting to look like they'd run out of ships already. This wave looks to really mix things up for both factions, including:

* a 12 pt Rebel Ship in the Rookie Headhunter

* The game's first 4 ATK ship in the TIE Phantom...plus cloaking!

* The toughest, nastiest TIE (3's across the board) in the TIE Defender

* The expensive love child of an A-Wing and X-Wing (with Astromechs and Advanced Systems) in the E-Wing

After a little bit of disappointment in the results of some of my favorite ships back in Wave 2 (the TIE Interceptor and A-Wing), it looks like they're going to make up for it in spades in Wave 4. I'm excited to see some new stuff that will mean seeing new forces beyond TIE swarms and Gunboatpalooza that seems to pop up in the game currently.

Here's looking forward to this summer!

I think it's too soon to declare the game is done. I'm going to give FFG the benefit of the doubt, cause I think by in large they've done a great job so far.

To your concerns: The Headhunter is a *Rebel* ship, finally giving that side something less than 16 points to fill out its lists. TIEs will be affected not at all (and TIE Swarms will still be stronger, thanks to the +1 AGL, Evade, Barrel Roll and many support ships they have to back them up).

As for power creep, I think the big balancing factor will be the increased point costs we're starting to see. The E-Wing example they show on the page is a 32 point ship, nekkid. The Defender's lowest PS ship is 30 points. So I think part of what we'll see is points-creep, as the game moves to accommodate more-than-100-point games (and the bigger ships they allow). I for one am looking forward to bigger games, as I would like to fly more than 4 ships when playing Rebels, or to build TIE wings with something more than Academy Pilots :)

The counterpoint to concerns about power creep IMO is the fact most of these new ships are using existing upgrades, rather than adding new ones. for example, I'm hoping the addition of new Astromechs and Turret upgrades in this wave will breathe some new life into the Y-Wing, which is currently a bit of a turd now that the B-Wing is out there. This gives FFG the chance to course-correct on some of the older ships by generating new stuff that work well with them. Sure you have to buy new stuff but let's face it...you were going to anyway ;)

• Like 1

actually, no you cannot.  You cannot put a turret on the b wing.  you can put an ion cannon, but the turret is what makes the ywing ion great.    Ywings are my nemisis.

You're right! I started with Wave 2, but have never played against a Y-Wing - though the HWK-90 with Ion Turret makes for one annoying support craft.

the Ywing, is better than the hawk on price/survivability, so if you that the hawk was annoying, try the ywing.  With a turret it is sitting at 23 points. and is annoying as hell when you play any maneuver based list.  hate them.  I try to kill them first, but with 8 HP/shield it is not easy in 1 round.

I have only played one game of this, and it took me half a turn to realize that my Ion cannon turret basically just ruined the other guys day. I am sure the advent of more ship types has helped the situation, but the game was just far too easy once you got your stun on.

Yeah, I definitely think in the smaller games/for unprepared opponents, Ion is just brutal. I've only used Ion Cannons once on Slave I and it totally caught my opponent off guard. It's a great setup for a combo if you can get an attack run lined up - disable with Ion, then send in your lower PS pilots to shoot down the Ionized ship in the next round. It's even worse when the side with Ion also has a torpedo or missile-armed ship, or someone like Backstabber with abilities to increase damage and the speed/maneuverability to get there fast. Good thing Imperial ships don't have access to cannons...

...but I just reread the Wave 4 page, and saw that TIE Defenders can mount cannon upgrades - combine that with a ship and what I am betting is a white K-Turn (they brag the TIE-D has "a maneuver you've never seen on another dial before") you can use that bad boy to back a TIE Swarm, setting up a big ship for a kill by your weenies. Don't know if I'm more stoked about that, or the fact the TIE Phantom can take Advanced Systems and Crew upgrades...

Basically every list I write starts with an Ion Y. They are rugged and versatile. If I need him to really be a tank I'll spring for Dutch and R2-D2. It's damn expensive at 32 points but he's a pain in the ass to kill and is really good at disrupting formations and tossing out free target locks. Love Ys.

I haven't gotten to use my B-Wing yet but it seems the ship fill different rolls. Both have Ion access but both guns operate totally differently. B-Wings seem to be good in crowded areas, turning sharply and blasting things. Y-Wings seem best as an advance attack--a wedge to break apart enemy formations.

The reason I don't like y-wings. Isn't because the ion cannon is useful, it's because you can ignore the 30 point ship. Focus on killing the rest of his force, and it's pretty much game over. The y-wing isn't really going to kill anything. So to me it's like starting the game with about 20 points less points.

I agree it's nice if you can use the ion cannon to setup a kill, but the y-wing fills a support only role, rather than a kill role. Just my play style. I like my ships to all be able to contribute equally.

actually DT, that is totally wrong.  many builds cannot afford to have a ship just dithering around each turn, so really the ion is huge it cause major problems.  If you faced someone playing one correctly, you would get it...I don't think your kids are getting the max out of it. :blush:

• Like 1

I suppose it also changed things if you're playing missions or just dogfights. Ys are also walkout good for missions sure to they're generalist nature. They can ion ships that need to get away out that need to reach objectives. They can survive a while if the enemy needs to stop them, and the ion also helps keep pursuers off you as well.

Turn from the Dark side, Trainer, don't give in to your hate. Ys are a good buy. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/productdetails.cfm?SKU=SWX22

http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/productdetails.cfm?SKU=SWX11

Can't wait for them to actually be released.

gr-75-medium-transport.png

RebelTransport_1200px.gif

• The recover action allows the GR-75 to spend all its stored energy to regain a number of shields equal to the energy spent, possibly taking your transport from zero shields back to full.
  • The GR-75 is divided into two sections, fore and aft, and if you take the Reinforce action, you can reinforce one of those sections, adding an evade result to all defense results against attacks directed at that section until the end of the round.
  • The jam action allows the GR-75 to assign stress tokens to an enemy starship within Range 1–2 until that starship has a total of two stress tokens.
  • With its coordinate action, the GR-75 can grant a free action to any friendly ship within Range 1–2.

For those looking for an X-wing Tournament in the near future.

http://www.ordofanaticus.com/index.php?/topic/20481-x-wing-store-championships/

And to be on topic, the new ships look like a lot of fun.  I was never a fan of the TIE Phantom and the Defender was a bit Mary-Sue in the video games, but I am glad to see more options.  The cheaper missile and torpedo options should be fun as well.

• 2 weeks later...