Double-blind whiskey tasting

Weav

I asked my wife to set up a double-blind tasting of three bourbons (and a rye) tonight. I let her choose three from the following list, but I wouldn't know which three she chose: regular Beam, Blanton's, ORVW 10 '13, VWSR Lot B '13, Sazerac Rye 6, WLW BTAC '13 and PVW '13. I wasn't necessarily trying to identify the three choices, just choose which one I liked the best. There were four pours, with one of the three being poured twice (my idea of a double-blind, I hope that's correct...I'm a little new to this). I used the Carmer method for spirit tasting. Maybe it's my imagination, but I really think I taste more flavors using his method.

#1 - tasted great, really familiar, great legs, nice color, not much alcohol burn
#2 - light color, not the best taste, better nose than flavor, little burn
#3 - started okay, finished wonderful, great legs, hints of fruit and carmel, loved it, rich color
#4 - definitely the same as number 1, went back and tasted one again. They are the same pour.

To my pleasure, my favorite was...#3, PVW 20 '13! Frankly, I hadn't fallen in love with this bottle yet, so I am pleased that it was my favorite. Best of all, I purchased it in a liquor control state :) This my first bottle of Pappy, and I found it my first year hunting. When I first opened it I liked it, but preferred the 15 I had tried more. I'm please I liked it so much tonight. I want to like it as much as the hype it gets. Maybe I'm on my way to doing so.

#2 I picked as regular Beam, and it was. Noting to see here, moving on...the real surprise was was that #1 and #4 was Sazerac 6. I really expected it to be VWSR Lot B '13. After tasting #3, the PVW 20 '13, the Saz lost a lot of character, even after a palette cleansing. I guess my tasting chops are not up to snuff with the real pros yet, maybe some day. Thank for reading. Attached is my limited collection of bourbons and ryes.

post-1134-0-88802300-1392186160_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Sounds like fun!

A blind tasting means that you don't know which sample is which. A double blind tasting means that you don't know, and your wife doesn't know - the intent with double-blind studies (in general) is usually to prevent bias from being introduced by the experimenters knowing whether they are working with the experimental group or the control group. In your case, it'd be to make sure your wife isn't giving you cues by placement or reaction as to which she or you expect will be the 'best' whiskey.

Also, Scotch tastes like socks. Bourbon FTW!

• 7 months later...