Astra Millitarum Questions

Wellington99

For those of you who've used Pask in a Punisher, would you recommend tossing another Russ or two into a squadron with him? And if so, which variants? I'm going to see about getting him at the earliest convenience, and my friend who's also gonna be starting guard when 8th comes around is planning on taking him with a Vanquisher, banking on the order that makes them fire at different targets (He is a 100% newb when it comes to the game though he knows a fair bit about the lore and is only making a list right now). Personally I can see putting him with the likes of an Exterminator or even a Demolisher, but it doesn't seem like its a good idea in my gut.

Also  as sort of a general question, what makes up a well balanced Guard list for you? A list that's fun but also can do well enough against most?

He needs to have at least one Squadron-mate, just to be a legal option. Given the split-fire capability, and that the FAQ restored using Preferred Enemy to re-roll Gets Hot, I like the Executioner as his buddy.

The Punisher is really his best ride. He helps the Vanquisher, but it's still literally too hit or miss. The others, his benefit is kind of meh for how much he costs.

Most of the good Guard lists I've seen in a while are built around one or more big (40+) blobs, with a Priest for Fearless in each. You can either kit them out for advaning/CC with Power Axes on the Sgts and Flamers for Overwatch against more mobile Assault Units (which is basically all of them), or shooty, with Lascannon or Autocannon, maybe Plasmaguns, and use Orders to buff them.

Both variants absolutely love it if you can get Endurance on there, but especially the shooty version. Relentless Tank/Monster Hunter Lascannon are awesome. Well worth bringing along at least one Primaris Psyker just to gamble for it, but something like an Allied Librarius Conclave that can provide it much more reliably can make them absolutely nuts.

• Like 1

Wellington, West Rider has given you some excellent feedback.  Here is my response to your question about what makes up a well balanced guard force.  The IG are, as people have noted, a very diverse force.  I like to organize my lists around a given theme:

1. Light Recon:  Command squads, platoons, conscripts, Salamanders, and scout sentinels often work well with this theme.  This is a light force designed to locate the enemy and break contact (so only light tanks).  I also like to to use the Emperor's Talon Recon formation from Page 40 of the Montka book (this formation was discussed previously in this thread).  At 1850 points I often include 130 to 150 troopers, a couple of Salamanders, and 12 to 15 scout sentinels.

2. Recon in force/Punitive Raid: Command squads, platoons, conscripts, Salamanders, and scout sentinels as before but I also include heavier units like Russes and Mechvets.  This list is designed as a heavy recon force designed to move swiftly to find and destroy the foe.  I avoid arty or ordnance tanks since this is still designed to be a recon force (and Imperial Armor Colume I noted that recon units sometimes tale Exterminators along).  At 1850 points it includes maybe 5-6 tanks, 100-ish troopers, and some sentinels.

3. "Bridge too Far" List:  Command squads, platoons, and conscripts, supported by stormtroopers brought as troops using the MT Codex.  This theme is inspired by the British Red Devils 1sr Airborne Division at Arnhem in WWII, so no tanks or walkers.  It features tons of light infantry and drop troops holding out against overwhelming odds.  At 1850 points I have maybe 130 to 140 line troopers and 30 to 40 deepstriking stormtroopers.  This detachment also fares about as well in games as the Brits' para and glider troops did in real life during Market Garden. :)

4. Blitzkrieg Force:  Command squads, platoons, conscripts, mechvets, Russes, self propelled artillery, and armored sents.  This is a classic treadhead list.  In 1850 points I have usually 10 or 11 tanks and 80 to 100 troopers.  For flavor, at least one of my platoons is usually meched up and mounted in Chimeras.

5. Urban Combat Detachment:  Command squads, platoons, conscripts, veterans, and "urban " themed tanks (Demolishers, Eradicators, Hellhoonds, and mortar tanks like Griffons or Wyverns).  I don't mount up any troopers since fast mounted units don't seem to fit an urban theme.  I always include plenty of flamers and sniper rifles and a ratling squad is a must.  At 1850 points this list usually has about 150 troopers, 4 or 5 tanks, and some scout sentinels.

6. "Classic" Force:  A mixed force of command squads, platoons, conscripts, and mechvets with various and sundry thrown in.  In 1850 points it features fewer tanks than my Blitzkrieg lists, maybe 5 or 6 tanks and about 100 to 150 troopers.  It represents a force that can easily adapt to holding the line or attacking.

Almost all of my lists feature at least 1 infantry platoon, 1 conscript platoon, and 1 mechvet squad or deepstriking MT scions squad.  I find this variety works best for me as each specializes in a respective task.

-Platoons: ranged shooting buffed by orders, bubble wrapping, and holding homefield objectives
-Conscripts: tarpitting, midfield objective grabbing, gaining board control, and bubble wrapping
-mechvets and scions:  killing enemy elite units and armor with melta and plasma, grabbing objectives in midfield or in the opponents' deployment zone

I hope this helps. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the advise, Tallarn. I see that abour more than half of your lists contain sentinels in some form, which as one who loves his walkers is great to see. Unfortunately my friend who I've been helping vehemently dislikes them (They resemble something AdMech...somehow...), so much so that he doesn't want me to talk about them when I'm talking about a match I've had (unless they did poorly). He also is against taking Vendettas in his list (the reason I cannot remember but I think more fluff based) despite continuing to mention he needs more firepower (even if Vendettas are not the best for it depending on circumstances). He's basically trying to run a mechanized guard list, something similar to your Blitzkrieg force except without conscripts and sentinels and with Pask. Some bits I do remember is he has Punisher Pask with a Vanquisher and his vets have the Grenadier doctrine (15 points for 4+ armor save).

Walkers are going to have a more prominent place in 40K in the new edition.  One of my current regular opponents has struggled against my Dark Eldar mightily, but has found that his Armored Sintinels present quite a problem for me.  He now takes six, whereas he had zero before.  I think that the jury should remain out on them in your mind until 8th Edition is fully revealed.