Seraphon in matched play

Been playing the Star Lizards since last December and have really found them to be a fun and rewarding army to play.Ive only been able to get a few games in but ive won more than ive lost still close to 50% though so im totally good with that:)

Ive been running the Eternal Starhost and even though its makes Saurus Gaurd hard as nails it is one of the main reasons players say that Seraphon are so vulnerable to Mortal wounds,as the Gaurd will have a 2+ save while in the Starhost bubble yet cost 20 points per wound.This is steep but they also hit like a truck when locked into combat after a round.I also run the Shadowstrike Starhost,that one gives me Ripperdactyls that can drop from the sky up to 3" from enemy units,,6 of them make one of the best Alpha strikes in the game.Finally I like to use a Bastiladon and a Dread Saurian,,the Dread is 400 points and the points could probably spent better elsewere but hes been fun to play wether it be spending multiple turns trying to eat an opponents artillery after the crews have been killed,,or taking out full SCE units with a couple of bites,lol..oh and rather painfull  when he gets alpha`d off the board by a bunch of SCE pallies before being able to do anything lol.Also I just did the "missed a 3" charge" thing with him last Sunday so got that out of the way...

The army actually has probably one of the best selection of tools of all the reprinted ones since the game has come out,though it could probably benifit from a new Battletome since It was actually the first one printed after the SCE and Khorne ones shortly after the AoS release.But since theres several armies that need so much attention and need to be brought into the new setting,im perfectly happy waiting it out till they get back to these guys:).I just have to keep in mind that Seraphon are a Jack of all Trades.master of none kind of army.

The biggest issues ive had with them have been against Steel Angel`s SCE lists.His builds arent what I would call "hard" but more just a good solid SCE lighting strike build.A fair amount of the issues is probably not so much the builds I field against SCE but more so the way im playing it(yes Chris,,I probably should have held off on that Alpha Strike heh.).Since Seraphon can field both elite and what many consider more "horde" style units,its important to realize what type of unit  is needed to counter what the opponent is doing.In the case of SCE using blobs of Skinks may provide a solid counter to the elite units of SCE,,especially when they can keep running away avoiding prolonged combats but still have enough numbers to control objectives.Keeping a big unit inspired makes them very hard to wipe out.Seraphon also have issues with heavy shooting lists,this leads me to thinking that perhaps I should drop the Eternal Starhost and go for a second Shadowstike Host in order to have 2 Ripperdactyle Alpha strikes,,Seraphon do have some good shooting but are not really built to be a shooting only army so the "outshoot them" approach is not an option.I will also be considering a summoning build were I would probably use my reserve to bring in Skinks and Razordons.

Anyhow,,having a fun time with the army but may take a break from it for a bit to build up my Celestial Vindicators:)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Seraphon list takes 4th place at the SCGT:)

And the guy was running Lord Kroak,,a model deemed totally non competative in matched play.

Looking over his list,its actually quite mild,though he used the Shadowstrike starthost with minimum skinks but with a unit of 9 Ripperdactyls,,im sure he got alot of mileage out of those..9 would be insane in the damage output!...probably multicharged them im sure.

Anyhow,,he must be a very good player as the Seraphon tome is now the oldest one without any of the new bells and wistles of the newer generation of tomes.

On another note,Death didnt place well at all with their highest ranking at number 30..the other 3 GA`s all had a good spread above that.

• Like 1

After getting more info on his list and opponents it appears he was taking full advantage of Lord Kroaks damage bubble spells with the doubled range from the Balewind.And against Chaos those spells pretty much do double damage,,so against his 3 chaos opponents he was doing around massive mortal wounds to chaos armies with near full board coverage.This coupled with the vast number of players in the English meta not really knowing much at all about Seraphon.

Also he only lost Kroak once as he had an Eternity warden to tank early game wounds for him,,then made extensive use of Kroaks easy to cast spell that gives him a single die choice/change once per Battleround,allowing him to manipulate what would likely be a killing Battleshock/wound test to Kroak.

This is impressive gameplay,,this guy broke out of the meta at a major event and ended up top Order list,granted he ended up facing armies that would suffer the most from his build but did end up loosing to one of those Chaos lists.

• Like 1