Tournament feelers

von hammer

Curious if the Portland/Vancouver area would be interested in more ITC opportunities or maybe a more friendly tourney like what Splinx puts on in Vancouver. 

There is a new game store in my town (Oregon City) and we are looking at the 40k scene in Portland, trying to see what you guys/gals might like in a tourney. 

Feel free to comment ideas and if you would travel down for ITC points or a friendly tourney... or BOTH!

Thanks again Ordo! 

• Like 1

Shay and I will travel to most tournaments given the opportunity, presuming it's not on a weekend where other stuff is going on.

If you're doing a "friendly" event you should definitely have guidelines in place in terms of what that is supposed to mean, though- different people have different idea of what a "friendly" tournament is and what power level of lists is appropriate.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, von hammer said:

Perfect! Thanks for the input! For friendly I would think a fluff list would be the best way, maybe no LoW or Monsterous Creatures. We all know what an ITC list looks like so I don't think I would need to go over that one ;) 

You would need to go over it...

• Like 1

Yeah, just "no MCs or LoWs" is a very broad guideline and actually doesn't touch many of the stronger tournament lists out there, while simultaneously disqualifying many armies that are quite weak (like Tyranids) from taking almost any units.

I think there are plenty of people who would be interested in a casual-styled event, but you'd want to have good guidelines on what is/isn't acceptable and some sort of way for people to test the waters with their list to see if it's okay. (I would also avoid calling it a "tournament" if you aren't trying to get people to bring strong lists- otherwise, you get into a weird "bring a list that is strong but not too strong but stronger than that" kinda issue.)

28 minutes ago, AbusePuppy said:

Yeah, just "no MCs or LoWs" is a very broad guideline and actually doesn't touch many of the stronger tournament lists out there, while simultaneously disqualifying many armies that are quite weak (like Tyranids) from taking almost any units.

I think there are plenty of people who would be interested in a casual-styled event, but you'd want to have good guidelines on what is/isn't acceptable and some sort of way for people to test the waters with their list to see if it's okay. (I would also avoid calling it a "tournament" if you aren't trying to get people to bring strong lists- otherwise, you get into a weird "bring a list that is strong but not too strong but stronger than that" kinda issue.)

Totally hear what your saying! We will look at armies and current ITC restrictions and start the brain storming. I know the store owner doesn't want those huge competitive cheese lists at the moment unless we do an ITC competitive tourney (which we will do as well). I would personally like to do something that's a mix of "the fluffiest list" and an OFCC list. Something in between would be fun and could be competitive I think.