New Dwarves or Duardin?

51 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

I guess for the context of AoS, this army can fit in. I'm just so ingrained with 20+ years of warhammer fantasy that it is difficult to separate the two.

Yeah, that is kind of key isn't it, you are viewing this game as a WHF player, not an AOS player...if this was a release for 9th Age then sure, looks wonky.  But those days are past.  AOS is here, and most likely to stay.

I do personally think GW is letting us know that 40K and AOS are NOT competitive designed games.  This is my opinion from the recent game news of the two new games coming, both of which they clearly state "competitive" games.

Change is often pretty sucky...and uncomfortable. 

But for me, these Duardin are very bad ass looking (way better than the forgettable fyreslayer release).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

Seriously? "Flying scrap-craft" ugh.

ok, so now you are really off your rocker....how else would you describe the machines the (historic) fantasy (and sci-fi) orcs create?  Elegantly long lined works of art?

Seriously they have constantly been described as cobbled together craft.......especially for the 40k version.  they are not artists for crying out loud.

2 hours ago, Burk said:

ok, so now you are really off your rocker....how else would you describe the machines the (historic) fantasy (and sci-fi) orcs create?  Elegantly long lined works of art?

Seriously they have constantly been described as cobbled together craft.......especially for the 40k version.  they are not artists for crying out loud.

From memory the only flying machines in Warhammer fantasy were steam powered gyrocopters that actually had sails etc so were a bit more believable. The only thing on an orc army that could fly was either a huge wyvern or a gobbo strapped to a kite and flung via catapult. Anything else that was flying was a Creature with wings. The new lead zeppelin's are a bit too far fetched for us traditional fantasy types but we don't even know how they are powered yet. They could have fuel cells and have anti gravity engines LOL. Im just waiting to see if they come with an upgrade for melta bombs to be dropped out of them or a hurricane bolter upgrade. The biggest ship does have great potential to be made into a massive sonic blaster on a Slaneeshy Knight conversion. 

11 hours ago, splinx said:

From memory the only flying machines in Warhammer fantasy were steam powered gyrocopters that actually had sails etc so were a bit more believable. The only thing on an orc army that could fly was either a huge wyvern or a gobbo strapped to a kite and flung via catapult. Anything else that was flying was a Creature with wings. The new lead zeppelin's are a bit too far fetched for us traditional fantasy types but we don't even know how they are powered yet. They could have fuel cells and have anti gravity engines LOL. Im just waiting to see if they come with an upgrade for melta bombs to be dropped out of them or a hurricane bolter upgrade. The biggest ship does have great potential to be made into a massive sonic blaster on a Slaneeshy Knight conversion. 

1.  It could be describing a Doom Diver...which I would call "rickety".

2. I can see your point if it was truly a "flying machine".  like truly flying.  So no need to jump to conclusions

3. you all need to accept the are moving 40k and fantasy into on universe....maybe even one game. (my opinion).  In which case the 40k versions of Orc flying machines.....perfect description.

1 hour ago, Burk said:

3. you all need to accept the are moving 40k and fantasy into on universe....maybe even one game. (my opinion).  In which case the 40k versions of Orc flying machines.....perfect description.

Yeah, I see no evidence of this occurring beyond the little winks and nods that have always been there between the universes.

• Like 1

Same or very similar ruleset(more similar than they are now).quite possible

Same universe though seems really wonky,,not sure what they would gain at all from doing something like that.I mean do they actually think players want to bring a Vamp Lord on a Dragon into a fight against Tau or something? lol

• Like 1

Well I played dwarfs in 7th and 8th editions of Warhammer Fantasy Battles, and I had gyrocopters. In fact, under 8th edition rules I had gryocopters and gryobombers. And my gyrocopters had a steam cannon. A cannon that shot steam. It was pretty awesome.

And I don't remember anyone blinking at that concept.

So the idea that the same dwarfs would eventually figure out how to make air ships. I mean, they have had a long, long time to develop the technology.

And I am super excited for them. Heck, I am already saving my pennies. :D

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

First weeks preorders are up and pretty much all scrolls have been leaked now.

I would say they are certainly not "meta breaking" as in GW didnt poop out another mortal wound spamming army,so thats a good thing.Actually its nice to see GW keeping the new releases under control game balance wise as the Khorne update is another solid release with great options and nothing really OTT.

These guys are pretty cool for sure,but without seeing the perks and army abilities,they are looking rather mild in power level.I see a main feature being good midrange shooting with more emphisis in rend rather than volume of fire.For defence,they seem a bit weak,,the Frigate and gunboats have a 5+ save,,this on behemoth class scrolls usually doesnt bode well,,though they do heal one wound in the hero phase and there is another warscroll that can repair them,,also theres the gunboats that can basically LoS for them on a 5+.All this usually doesnt help when on the recieving end of high volume attacks though.

Probably the most interesting new addition in this release is the transport rules.Capacity is based on model counts with 10 for the frigate and 15 for the Ironclad.They can exceed this amount by up to 5 models each but at the cost of 1 movement per model exceeded by,interesting in adding in heros.The transported unit can not be targeted or affected by any abilities,nor does its own abilites affect anything on the board or even itself..its basically off the board,,invisible.If the transporting vessel is destroyed then each model being transported rolls a die and is removed on rolls of 1..the remaining models are set up within 3" of the destroyed vessel then the vessel is removed.

To embark--all modesl in a unit must be able to get to within 3" of the vessel in the movement phase,I assume running is ok as its not specified.To disembark models leaving the vessal do so in the HERO phase and must be placed within 3" of the vessel and at least 3" from an enemy unit..very interesting here as a player can keep mounted troops on board as they get up close and personal and dont have to disembark them in their movement phase possibly exposing them to enemy fire and or hoping for a favorable initiative.

Also,,units can set up loaded into a vessel as one drop..VERY nice for minimizing drops when including odd supporting units to an army.

I changed the Ironclad to 15 capacity,,I believe thats what it is.

• Like 1