Maschinen Krieger - Skitarii/ Cult Mech - 2200

Swan-of-War

Here's my casual-play list for 40K at 1850 - a Skitarii Maniple with Cybernetic Cohort formation.  The Tech Priest is my Warlord.

I've two units of Vanguard painted, kept their Alphas with the standard radium carbine to keep them cheap.  They really look solid as mid-field units, especially with their Assault 3 rifles.  The Rangers I'm unsure on - figure they're best for holding the backfield and camping in terrain.  Their standard galvanic rifles look okay but have been reading mostly meh' reviews on the transuranic arquebus'.  The range is fantastic and I guess they could be useful to pick out special weapon / sergeants from the opposing backfield campers?  May switch one of the squads for another small squad of Vanguard.

The Infiltrators I like, not sure if I'll outflank or infiltrate with them, will have to depend on terrain.  I do have the models for another five or maybe some Rust Stalkers.

Onagers are awesome, both aesthetically and in firepower.  They're my primary reach weapons with their Neutron Lasers.  Was thinking of combining them into a single unit of two to get the increased invulnerable save, but that sacrifices their ability to shoot at two different targets.   The Icarus Array is pure murder to fliers and skimmers, the latter of which is present in my meta so I'd like to keep it.

Last is the Cohort Cybernetica, my midfield F You squad.  Combined with the Tech Priest and the formation's ability to split fire I plan on raining down phospherous death on the meager enemies of the Imperium.  I maxed out on the Phospher Blasters so that they're consistently effective with all their weapons at 36" range.   The incendine combusters are tempting though as I like the idea of 4-8 torrent flame templates blazing out, not to mention the wall of death.  Modelwise, I don't like the standard Edward Phospherhands look so I did a minor conversion of two barrels on one gun-hand (twin-linked) and kept the other one a standard hand.  I prefer the look (like a Khador Destroyer) and who wouldn't want a beefy robot hand to choke a mofo' out? 

Skitarii Maniple   1070

10 Vanguard 2 x Plasma Calivers 170
    Radium Carbines, Omnispex  

10 Vanguard 2 x Arc Rifles 140
    Radium Carbines, Omnispex  

5 Rangers 2 x Transuranic Arquebus 125
    Galvanic Rifles, Omnispex  

5 Rangers Galvanic Rifles 65

5 Infiltrators Flechette Blasters, Taser Goads 205
    Omniscient Mask  

1 Onager Dunecrawler Neutron Laser, Cognis Heavy Stubber 120
    Cognis Heavy Stubber  

1 Onager Dunecrawler Neutron Laser, Cognis Heavy Stubber 120
    Cognis Heavy Stubber  

1 Onager Dunecrawler Icarus Array 125

Cohort Cybernetica   775

1 Tech-Priest Dominus Volkite Blaster, Macrostubber 135
    Autocaduceus of Arkhan Land  

1 Kastelan Robot Maniple Twl Heavy Phospher Blasters 320
    Carapace Mounted Phospher Blaster  

1 Kastelan Robot Maniple Twl Heavy Phospher Blasters 320
    Carapace Mounted Phospher Blaster  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, PourSpelur said:

Love it!

Finding a list that I could use M.K. models as a counts-as force has always been on my hobby "to do" list. I think your version is stellar.

Thanks!  I was throwing the idea around of using them as crisis suits as I think they kinda look like Tau.  However, I couldn't really find a larger Ghost Keel or Riptide stand in that would work

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

WIP shot of my Onager Dunecrawlers and some Rangers I finished up.  I didn't enjoy painting the rangers as much as the vanguard, don't know why.  They'll be good for the new Armageddon game coming out soon though.  I also bought some Bolt Action decals that had nice, clean numbers and put them on my Kastelans at the left shoulder and lower right leg.

Any suggestions for warhead colors on the Icarus Array?  Once these are finished, I should have 1,500 points painted!

Onagers%20WIP_zpslng6qyld.jpg

• Like 4

Sure thing - they're made by Chubby Collectibles out of Olympia.  Found them through Ebay and was actually able to pick them up in person at the last OOP Buy and Swap meet up here in Seattle.  Cool people to deal with (Aaron and Andre), they even did a "short pour" of some of the larger pieces so that I could use them on my big Dunecrawler bases.  I need to get some more for my display board.

Quality is great, I bought an army's worth and only found one or two tiny bubbles that were easily hidden when painted.  No air-pocket holes either and minimal flash. 

These are the Rock bases, although there's a lot of craters in the larger pieces so it looks like a warzone with lots of heavy shelling.  They also do Rubble, Alien, Wasteland, Lava and Industrial.  Two thumbs up

Chubby Collectibles E-Bay Store

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Hey all - I've been getting enough painting in for an update: finished a squad of Rust Stalkers and five more Vanguard w/ a single Arc Rifle.  I also added Alphas to my larger Vanguard squads (one with taser goad, one with arc maul). 

IMG_3188_zps5tk2rzyq.jpg

IMG_3192_zpsnsndb6y1.jpg

These larger pics really show how bad I am at assembly -

I found some waterslides from the Bolt Action German Tanks set that I used for numbers, pretty close to what I was looking for and I'm happy with them.  Added markings to the Onagers and Kastelans.  There's a few subtle warning signs on the Onagers from the Skitarii decal set (if you look hard enough).

IMG_3194_zpscoctosdm.jpg

IMG_3198_zpsrmsiewod.jpg

IMG_3197_zpsyarqcgez.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Swan-of-War said:

Thanks Romans!  I've been finding that painting on sprue has some assembly challenges (e.g. gaps) of its own.

I've come to think that partial assembly is really the happy medium. Get chunks big enough to easily work with, but separated enough that you can still get to everything.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...