New 40k edition

pretre

53 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

That's idealism talking.  But as i said, Tournament players don't want it that way.  No one would WANT imbalance, as Fluger said.

Sorry, I think I read your previous post before my coffee kicked in. I agree that balance and less randomness is a good step towards tournament play.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tombking said:

Pretty much every special character to my recall was broken in one way or another. Oh and assault that really really was a chore.

While I miss some of the silliness of it I don't miss the gameplay at all. I think I really liked 3rd and 4th the best.

I actually like most of the basic rules of 6th the best, I feel the issues were in the codexes mostly.  Probably a minority opinion, but it is what it is.  

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, fluger said:

I actually like most of the basic rules of 6th the best, I feel the issues were in the codexes mostly.  Probably a minority opinion, but it is what it is.  

I feel like the core rules of 6th could work really well for something more on the scale of 2nd, but with Armies at modern sizes, 6th-7th just have too much stuff that bogs the game down.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WestRider said:

I feel like the core rules of 6th could work really well for something more on the scale of 2nd

2nd edition rules I found really worked well at 1000 points or less (which would probably be about 500-700 points now)

Heck they really rocked in Necromunda and Gorkamorka were you had less than 20 models per player. They were not awful rules but just worked for small scale skirmish and once you started getting above that they got too fiddly and time consuming.

Which is why I really liked 3rd... every time someone would gripe to me about all the detail lost I was like I can play more turns with more toys in half the time, why is this a bad thing...

ETA also I am now too damn old to want to deal with all that fiddly stuff with that many models on the table.

Edited by tombking
  • Like 4

Here then is an FAQ* that answers a few of them. For more news and information over the coming days and weeks, make sure you check out warhammer-community.com where we’ll be running daily articles on all things Warhammer 40,000. There’ll be news, there’ll be rules previews, there might even be some pictures of new models…

Is my army still valid?

Yes, it certainly is! You’ll still be able to use your army in the new edition of Warhammer 40,000. All current armies will be supported with new rules.

Can I still use all my models?

Yes. Every Warhammer 40,000 miniature we sell today will be usable in the new edition of Warhammer 40,000. What’s more, they’ll be supported with new rules, which will be available from the get go in handy, low-cost books.

Even Forge World models?

Yes, even all of your Warhammer 40,000 Forge World models**.

Wait, did you guys blow up the universe?

Nope. This is very much still the Warhammer 40,000 setting you know and love. Now, that’s not to say we won’t see the story advance – there’s some pretty epic stuff ahead! You can certainly expect to see the story arcs that began in the recent Gathering Storm campaign books continue to unfold with plenty of exciting developments to look forward to…

How can I get the rules?

We’re going to make it easier than ever to get your hands on the rules and start playing. The core rules for the game will be free, and you’ll have several options on how you get your hands on the full rulebook. Watch this space for more.

Have you dumbed down 40K?

Not at all. We’ve made it easier for new people to enter and get to grips with the basics. At the same time, we’ve made sure you can add as much depth and complexity as you like – there’s some fantastic new gameplay elements coming. What we’ve done is reexamine every aspect of the game, and made plenty of improvements, many based on the gaming community’s feedback and suggestions. If you play today, this game is recognisably still Warhammer 40,000.

What happens to my codexes?

The rules in our current range of Warhammer 40,000 codexes aren’t compatible with the new edition of Warhammer 40,000. These books will be going off sale very soon. If you do want to pick any up, now’s the time – as all of the great hobby content and background information will be as valid as ever.

What’s in the new starter box?

A new starter box? That’d be exciting! I guess we’d fill it with some awesome new miniatures… (come on, we can’t spoil all the surprises for you!)

Are you getting rid of points?

Not at all. There will be a full points system, for use in matched play – one of three ways to play covered in the rulebook.

What do you mean “3 ways to play”?

We realise that people like to play Warhammer 40,000 in different ways. 3 broad systems are covered in the new edition: 1) Open play is the most flexible, and easiest to get started with, allowing you to use any miniatures you like. 2) Narrative play is where you can refight the iconic battles of the 41st Millennium, or create your own campaigns and sagas. 3) Matched play is designed for more balanced and competitive games, ideal for gaming clubs, leagues and tournaments. However you want to enjoy playing Warhammer 40,000, there will be rules for that.

Why should I not just stick with current Warhammer 40,000?

This is the version of Warhammer 40,000 you’ve been asking for. We’ve listened to your feedback, and we really believe that this is the best Warhammer 40,000 has ever been.

Will the rules be updated annually (ala, the General’s Handbook)?

What a great idea! We’ve had such a fantastic response to our community-led approach with the Warhammer Age of Sigmar rules updates that we’re committed to doing the same for Warhammer 40,000. You’ll be able to submit your questions and queries on the Warhammer 40,000 Facebook page and we’ll make sure we continue to evolve the game as feedback rolls in.

I haven’t played 40K in a while…

Welcome back! The new Warhammer 40,000 is easier to learn and quicker to play, but still has all the tactical, strategic and narrative depth you could want from a game set in the incredibly rich setting of the 41st Millennium. It’s going to be easier than ever to get started, and more fun than ever to master.

Why should I trust you?

Come on! This is New Games Workshop™

• Like 1

https://warhammer40000.com/

has some additional stuff

"upscaled marines" is really gonna hurt the wallet/collection if the old models now look gimpy.  Maybe just a new unit, maybe entirely new-sized marines.  The site took the photo down apparently; caused some uproar already.

I'm hoping just a different look, not a re-sizing of all the marines out there.  That'd be a LOT of models

JNVGlYJ.jpg

2 minutes ago, JMGraham said:

Huh. New Eldar faction, the Ynnari.

I know they said Forge World models will still have rules, but I wonder what they'll do with Forge World lists, like the Corsairs and the Lost and the Damned. And 30k, for that matter.

They will be converted to the new ruleset just like Chaos Dwarves did for AoS.

1 hour ago, Sugarlessllama said:

Don't worry. As was pointed out, your collection will still be valid and there is be a new faction book dropping for you. So buck up chum! :D 

Aye, but I haven't even read my current books and I preordered the latest Eldar book and now it's obsolete two months after release

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Romans832 said:

Aye, but I haven't even read my current books and I preordered the latest Eldar book and now it's obsolete two months after release

All the backround/stories in the codex`s still apply fully.The only thing that is changing is the unit stats and perhaps formations.

Actually,now that I can see a bit more about the new direction,im considering picking up the recent Gathering storm books just for the backround/stories:)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Threejacks said:

All the backround/stories in the codex`s still apply fully.The only thing that is changing is the unit stats and perhaps formations.

Actually,now that I can see a bit more about the new direction,im considering picking up the recent Gathering storm books just for the backround/stories:)

Cool