New 40k edition

pretre

39 minutes ago, pretre said:

Even if they only last 2 years, $50 isn't that much compared to all the other crap you can spend money on that you get less enjoyment out of .

Other than nice meals out on occasion $50 is a price point that I can not drop regularly anymore. The books were damn nice I will give them that but not something I could pick up on a whim.

• Like 1

At the rate GW has been releasing books, I haven't been able to keep up with purchasing the ones for all of my armies. Fortunately, you can usually find pdf versions online if you know where to look.

I'm hoping that with the new edition they will do something similar to the AoS app and have all of the core rules be free (including stats for most units) and have specific army packages available for purchase with special formations and all of the lore for that faction (basically all of the info that would be in the corresponding army book).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tombking said:

Steam sales are my life.

Well, think how many games you buy during a Steam sale. If it is more than $50 of Steam games, that means you skip a single Steam sale and you're set for your army. And I'm pretty sure you have sunk a lot a money into your model collection ( I know I have.). 

I mean, I guess it all comes down to priorities. 

3 minutes ago, Sugarlessllama said:

If it is more than $50 of Steam games

Over 7 years...

$1244 Current account value

$240 Total cost with sales So that's about $34/year. So less than a marine squad a year.

21 Steam level

$12.32 Average price

$7.18 Average price per hour

119 Games owned (a bunch of these are from humble indie bundles that I imported)

5,988h Hours on record ( I have one idle game that umm yeah I make no excuses but I like it )

73.0h Average playtime

37 Games not played

And to further derail to disappoint self this will calculate those numbers up there for you  https://steamdb.info/calculator/

1 minute ago, tombking said:

37 Games not played

So this tells me you that you could easily afford a new codex. Since you could easily skip a bunch a steam sales, and humble bundles without sacrificing your video game hobby. I mean, all you would have to do is play the games you already own but haven't gotten around to playing yet. 

Just now, Sugarlessllama said:

I mean, all you would have to do is play the games you already own but haven't gotten around to playing yet. 

Those are from the stated humble bundles which I bought when I had a lot more disposable income and only wanted about 3 of the 10+ games. Everything I have purchased direct from Steam I have at least put in an hour or so on.

And at $34/year that is not even one codex. That is not even a squad of anything. Sure let me not buy anything on steam for 2 YEARS to get ONE CODEX. Never mind the models I need to play.

When the codexes were soft bound and $20ish to $30ish I could afford it for more than just my army. My disposable income however has not kept up with the price increases from GW. Then them changing editions quickly making at $70 rule book and a $60 codex useless when I can get out to play once a month at best... it was time for a break and I have been playing since Rogue Trader.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tombking said:

Those are from the stated humble bundles which I bought when I had a lot more disposable income and only wanted about 3 of the 10+ games. Everything I have purchased direct from Steam I have at least put in an hour or so on.

And at $34/year that is not even one codex. That is not even a squad of anything. Sure let me not buy anything on steam for 2 YEARS to get ONE CODEX. Never mind the models I need to play.

When the codexes were soft bound and $20ish to $30ish I could afford it for more than just my army. My disposable income however has not kept up with the price increases from GW. Then them changing editions quickly making at $70 rule book and a $60 codex useless when I can get out to play once a month at best... it was time for a break and I have been playing since Rogue Trader.

Fair enough. However, the new codexes being printed (AM, DA, CSM, and supplements) have all been soft covers between $30 - $40. Additionally, the core rules are going to be free. 

15 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Going to be free doesn't mean [big bad swear word] in relation to before being free.  Just sayin.

Sure thing dude. I don't see the benefit to wallowing in your pessimism, but you can keep doing that. Me? I'm going to continue enjoying the game and my Space Marines all day, every day. So keep complaining duderinos, I'm going to be fine either way. :D 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Who's complaining or wallowing? Your counter point to previous not spending of money was that in the future it will be free. Your point failed. I was bringing that to your attention.

Regardless, the codex and core rule books have been free for years. 

How did my point fail? GW announced the Core Rules would be free. I stated that the Core Rules would be free. So....... yeah........