New 40k edition

pretre

11 minutes ago, PumpkinHead said:

I am not a fan of getting rid of the "to hit" table. That means if the great G.man is fighting his mirror image, he sucks at defence. Hitting on 2+ always is kind of lame. I liked the aspect that if a model had 2x+1 WS he could parry away a few attacks by making the opponent need a 5+ to hit.

While I agree that it is nice to have semi-opposed rolls, it is a low hanging branch for removing unneeded complexity.

• Like 2

Flame templates will be good on tyrants still doing d6 haywire hits most likely.

Not to bad. Will be interesting to see how they will but our big guns Tfex and the Hive Guard guns.

If the lascannon is the most powerful gun than Grav weapons may have taken a nerf. Which they needed greatly.

Will be interesting to see tomorrows info on movement but I not seeing how that's is needing a whole day on. I rather have info on other subjects.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CaptainA said:

Don't be so sure. They could put in save modifiers for facing.

I can, again, virtually guarantee there won't be facings.  Vehicles and MCs are going to be identical for the most part.  

Facings were always complicated and sometimes confusing (I've never heard a convincing argument one way or the other on the facings of Knights, Valkyries, or Eldar Skimmers, we all kind of winged it).  Best to scrap them entirely, honestly.  Again, the game is going for streamlined, and checking facings and precise model movement are anathema to speedy play.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fluger said:

I can, again, virtually guarantee there won't be facings.  Vehicles and MCs are going to be identical for the most part.  

Facings were always complicated and sometimes confusing (I've never heard a convincing argument one way or the other on the facings of Knights, Valkyries, or Eldar Skimmers, we all kind of winged it).  Best to scrap them entirely, honestly.  Again, the game is going for streamlined, and checking facings and precise model movement are anathema to speedy play.  

Your reasoning has reasoning...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, fluger said:

I sure hope they dont remove them,and I find it hard to believe that they will for several reasons.One being turreted vehicles vs assualt guns.In AoS there really is not any vehicles to compare to either of these types so no facing rules are really ever needed.The Ironweld Arsenal Steamtank is the closest they come yet even if it did have armor values and facings,it wouldnt make much difference as it would likely have the same value all around.

I honestly cant envision how 40k would be itself and set apart from AoS without having things like vehicle facings as a part of the game,especially when taking into account the super heavy vehicles and walkers,,many of those are clearly more vulnrable in the rear facing.I think it would be a huge "dumbing down" of the game if they removed vehicle facings,,and they said they werent going to do that.

14 minutes ago, Threejacks said:

I think it would be a huge "dumbing down" of the game if they removed vehicle facings,,and they said they werent going to do that.

One person's dumbing down is another person's streamlining.  

Look at how they dropped templates/blast markers.  That's specifically to streamline and avoid a premium being placed on hyper specific model placement.  

40k can set itself apart by having a unique setting and great fluff compared to AoS.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, fluger said:

Look at how they dropped templates/blast markers.  That's specifically to streamline and avoid a premium being placed on hyper specific model placement.  

40k can set itself apart by having a unique setting and great fluff compared to AoS.  

That's what I like about you, Fluger: even while throwing shade you still sound calm and reasonable.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fluger said:

It also empowers hordes more than they have ever enjoyed.

Movement has always been key to Warhammer 40,000 – positioning your units for optimum arcs of fire, advancing to claim objectives or just plain-old charging across the battlefield into combat!|

Movement in the new edition will be very familiar to players of the game today, but the rules team have taken the opportunity to improve a few elements.

In the new edition, every model has its own Movement characteristic. This means that, rather than every model moving 6″ unless specified otherwise – things like Terminators will advance slowly and inexorably, while Harlequins leap and bound, and bikes and speeders zip across the battlefield.

Some units will have a minimum move too – this mostly applies to flyers, who can’t stop. Again, this is much like the rules today, but every flyer will have their own minimum and maximum move value, to represent the fact that swift fighters will naturally be quicker than a lumbering bomber.

Running has been rolled into the Movement phase now, too. You can “Advance” when you move by rolling a dice and adding the result to your Movement to go a bit faster at the expense of shooting.

This applies to all models – infantry, vehicles, bikes – everyone. By including this roll as part of your move, the game speeds up, as you no longer have to move modes in both the Movement and Shooting phases.

Other than that, the movement rules are pretty much what you’d expect today – no moving though enemy models, unless you can fly over them, and no walking through solid walls – logical stuff.

New40kMovementHarlequins.jpg

Oh, there was one last thing.

If you’re in combat at the start of your turn, you can Fall Back by moving away from the enemy. You’ll lose the ability to advance, shoot or charge that turn, and crucially, enemies will be able to shoot at you! This does, however, open up a vast range of tactical options for armies like the Astra Militarum, who will now be able to effectively deploy in firing lines, with each row falling back from any assaults in good order (if they survived) while the unit behind them fires at the attackers. It goes both ways though – if you have a dedicated assault unit that specializes in killing infantry (like Warp Talons) your opponent will find it much harder to pin them down in combat with heavily armoured units for the entire game.

That’s a big change!

We’ll let that rattle around your brain for a day, and we’ll be back tomorrow with news about the Psychic phase.

• Like 5