New 40k edition

pretre

8 hours ago, Lord Hanaur said:

It also empowers hordes more than they have ever enjoyed.

Kinda sorta, it just means a horde general doesn't have to be finicky with so many models.  I've always spaced my models.  What's been their death knell was the massive uptick in high rate of fire mid strength weapons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PumpkinHead said:

So everyone has the ability "hit and run" ... but from the sounds of it, if you Fall back, you are just asking to be shot at and recharged.

Depends on the situation. Like was mentioned in the post, if you have a strong gun line, you can have a unit that was changed fall back from the combat and then the rest of your force can shoot into that assault unit.

I like the idea because it means that Tau and Imperial Guard can keep their original play style, while still making assault armies viable.

Missing the whole ruleset, and maybe I'm missing revealed rules, so I cannot see the full picture.

Isn't the fall back move a potential nail in the coffin for assault armies? Sticking in combat seemed like one of the only potential safe zones against range-focused armies. They have said they want to make assault viable though, so there might be more to it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, happycamper said:

As someone who just got into 40k and picked Blood angels and Orks.... I'm liking the rule changes for my melee guys lol

Just a quick thought is that it seems to be pretty balanced.  Chargers going first helps Orks, but everyone getting to hit and run (sorta) is kinda bad as well.  We'll have to see the whole thing to make a final proclamation.

• Like 1

Just now, Scipiano said:

Missing the whole ruleset, and maybe I'm missing revealed rules, so I cannot see the full picture.

Isn't the fall back move a potential nail in the coffin for assault armies? Sticking in combat seemed like one of the only potential safe zones against range-focused armies. They have said they want to make assault viable though, so there might be more to it.

I'm pretty sure that the changes in other areas will make up for it. If shooting isn't as nasty as it is in 7th, and Assault Armies are generally faster, etc., that will help a great deal. I actually always kind of hated games with my KDK against shooty Armies, because you could pretty much tell how the Game was going to end by Turn 2, and for one player or the other, there really wasn't much of anything meaningful they could do. This gives both Players more options, keeping those Games more active, and I think will end up being pretty cool.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scipiano said:

Depends on the situation.  But, yes, that's certainly something that helps shooting-based armies.  We'll have to see how that figures in to the whole tapestry.  

1 minute ago, Brother Glacius said:

I'm curious to see if cover affects who strikes first. That was always a huge pain when I played nids. That great init stat was useless because the guardsmen hid in a bush. Or how are nades going to affect assault? Still lots of ways to add depth to this.

Seems that chargers always go first. 

My assumption is terrain would just slow them down like normal, so you could fail charges.  

2 hours ago, Scipiano said:

Well, the units that fall back can only move. They can't shoot, nor "advance" which is the new term for run. So both shooting and assaulting armies are going to have to be thoughtful to how they engage the enemy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugarlessllama said:

Well, the units that fall back can only move. They can't shoot, nor "advance" which is the new term for run. So both shooting and assaulting armies are going to have to be thoughtful to how they engage the enemy.

Yeah, there could be a decent tactical interplay if there are good ways to engage key targets. I could see it being rather easy to throw cheap roadblock units to keep the assault units at bay indefinitely though.

That said, shooting looks a little less scary, and I have a feeling we will see some nice bonuses to assault if they want to make it a viable option. Overall I'm excited for a shakeup and consolidation of the rules.

Definitely looking forward to a game where everyone can take what they like and have the game come down to tactics and dice rather than points efficiency. 40k has been fun when I can get the list power levels to match up, but I've been on either side of some straight mow-downs, and that can rob the game of the essential 'fun' element imho.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Scipiano said:

I could see it being rather easy to throw cheap roadblock units to keep the assault units at bay indefinitely though.

That's a tactic now, but a melee beatstick would just cut through it easily if you charge them.  Also, unless multicharges are gone it shouldn't be hard to hit several at once to clear the path.