New 40k edition

pretre

Good to see AoS movement is being used,,works very well and is usually the fastest phase to work through in the game,,even when playing horde armies:)

Couple of examples of how the retreat mechanic is manipulated in AoS-

Battalion ability--choose a unit within x ",that unit can move in your hero phase,this move does not in any way affect the units ability to move/run and charge later in your turn.This one is used multiple times in various armies.So,,retreat then charge again..especially great for Cav or units that get a HoW ability/bonus of some sort.

Seraphon skinks have a special ability that allows them to retreat from combat in ANY combat phase friend  or foe..Very handy and recently allowed me to squeak out a win against an opponent that was wiping my army off the board most of the game.(retreated on to a nearby objective)

One thing that is different here,,in AoS we have the initiative roll each Battleround and a retreat when you might get to steal initiative can be huge.Without the intiative roll,retreats will be much more controlled and less risky.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fluger said:

Depends on the situation.  But, yes, that's certainly something that helps shooting-based armies.  We'll have to see how that figures in to the whole tapestry.  

They fall back they can't shoot or charge.  Yes the chargers now can be shot at, but unless they are wiped by those shots guess who's charging next round... I think it's a very fair balance in principle 

10 death company with 5 attacks each (assuming attacks are the same) on charge and they get to strike first, not seeing a lot survive that...

Now I'm pretty new so maybe I don't know [big bad swear word], but I have been reading a lot. It seems a melee type army will need to be mobile and high mode count units..

New Warhammer 40,000 – Psychic Phase

40k-header.jpg

The Psychic phase for the new Warhammer 40,000 has changed a fair bit.

Previously, each of your psykers would generate warp charge for your pool. This worked pretty well in most games, but in very psyker-heavy armies, it often meant that some psykers sat around not doing a whole bunch, while one or two mega-psykers (we’re looking at you, Magnus – you big warp charge hog) had all the fun.

In the new system, the Psychic phase has been re-worked from the ground up.

Each time you pick a psyker, you can cast as many spells as their datasheet states (which would previously be the same as their Mastery Level) and there’s a simpler, two-dice mechanic for casting, you just need to beat the warp charge value. The more potent the power, the harder it will be to cast.

New40kPsychicSmiteArt-500x441.jpg

Enemy psykers will then have a chance to block these powers if they are within 24″, and again, the mastery of the psyker will dictate how often they can block a power each turn.

The new system is much more scalable – meaning that the phase works well at any size of game, with any number of psykers running around.

Perils of the Warp is still there of course. It wouldn’t be Warhammer 40,000 without the chance of accidentally having your mind eaten by a Daemon and your soul sucked into the psychic oblivion of the Warp while your body exploded in a multifaceted explosion of etheric ichor…

Every faction will have its own psychic lore with a range of thematic powers. In addition, every psyker knows the Smite power:

New40kPsychicFeatureSmite-500x389.jpg

Mortal Wounds are a new mechanic too – these cannot be saved by any means and punch straight through thick armour and even invulnerable saves! Ouch.

That’s the basics on the Psychic phase.

We’ll be back tomorrow with news on one of the updated war zones from the new Warhammer 40,000, and on Sunday, we’ll be looking at the Shooting phase.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, fluger said:

So we get mortal wounds revealed which are wounds with no saves allowed and we see that psychic powers now manifest with a 2d6 roll per power.  I suspect it the number will be generated by Ld + 2d6 and compared to the TN.  Speculation on my part of course.  

I don't think so. The psychic phase as almost exactly how wizards cast spells in the Hero Phase in AoS. And I am loving it!

1 hour ago, Brother Glacius said:

I agree with Talon, with smite being at 5, there is no way the leadership stat is involved. Just a 2d6 roll. Not sure how I feel about the mortal wound mechanic. :unsure:

It's the "new" D.   But there are units that can save against Mortal Wounds in AoS.  Chaos Warriors with Runeshields get a 5+ save vs Mortal Wounds.

Mortal wounds make more sense to me in a SciFi setting than a fantasy setting frankly.  Super death ray hits you? Don't care how awesome your armor is, you been atomized.

This is the point with the new rules, the base rules are designed to be quick and slim.  The exceptions are on individual units.  Those exceptions can be more granular rather than relying in a vast array of USRs.  

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Prophecy said:

I am fine with everything but the mortal wound mechanic. The you lose because I say so rule has never been a popular idea for me.

As per AoS,,,since 40k is now pretty much the same...Mortal wound dealing units/models are balanced by either high point cost,weak defences and many times short range or melee range is needed.

I suspect that the more elite armies will be the most vulnrable to mortal spam,just like it is in fantasy.

Kinda stunned that it looks now like both AoS and 40k will indeed be using pretty much the same ruleset,,,anyhow for those interested on what kind of possible unit rules may be coming for 40k,you can always dl the AoS app on a mobile device or just head over to the GW web store page and click on any AoS model ,then the rules dl,,all are listed there and can give you  some idea as to what kind of abilities and spells AoS has and you can imagine what you may see as a 40k version.

Feeling pretty good now that ive been playing the new 40k for the last two years:)

..of course I still suck at lol

• Like 2

Huh. I don't hate the rules as they've been presented so far. That's strange. I'm actually kind of liking it.

The Psychic Phase sounds like magic in Mordheim. The effects of the abilities and their point cost will matter the most, if they're planning on not making it abusable. Here's hoping!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Prophecy said:

I am fine with everything but the mortal wound mechanic. The you lose because I say so rule has never been a popular idea for me.

It is not really "you lose". Units and models will just take some wounds. It isn't anything worse than what is currently in play. I dare say, d3 wounds or d6 wounds if someone rolls really well is actually pumping the brakes on the power creep currently in 40K.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

Smite:  the closest visible unit is interesting.  Means you cant actually target a unit that isn't the closest.  Thats different.

Indeed,,as Arcane Bolt in AoS has the same range but can target anything within that range,,though cant boost to d6 either.Assuming there will be casters in 40k that will only have non damage spells available,this will come in handy to fill in when needed,,though your opponent could also tank it by putting a high wound model in close.

Im wondering if there will be a 40k version of Mystic shield,the 2nd universal spell in AoS,,gives +1 to a units save.

43 minutes ago, PourSpelur said:

07Jun pre-order begins is the rumor I heard.

Not sure if there's any truth to that or not.

7th of June is a Wednesday, so I'm betting not. I've seen some speculation pointing to preorders going up on the 10th, and then the actual release on the 17th, or possibly the 3rd and then 10th, respectively. Apparently based on a GW blackout week for employee vacation time.