New 40k edition

pretre

One thing to note about the cover save mechanic,in AoS you can only improve your save if the unit has a save to improve,,and you can bet that there will be some very "soft" units that dont have saves.Though I believe there is at least one unit(in aos) that has no save yet does have a mortal/unsaved wound save,so theres that too.

• Like 2

t’s a big one today folks, as we take a closer look at the Shooting phase.|

This phase will be very familiar to anyone who plays today, but there have been a few tweaks and improvements to the rules.

We’ve already seen the profiles of our miniatures, so we know that we’ll be hitting on a fixed Ballistic Skill (a bit like you do now) and we’ve also seen a little about how weaponswork – multiple damage from powerful weapons, and armour save modifiers, for example. Today, we look at some of the other rules of the phase.

When you select a unit to shoot, much like today, they can all fire their weapons at the enemy. You can’t shoot, however, if you Advanced this turn, or if you fell back from combat. (See our movement article for details on these.)

New40kShootingCypher.jpg

You also can’t shoot if there is an enemy with 1″ of you. The exception to this rule is pistols. Models with these hand-held firearms can shoot at the closest enemy target in the Shooting phase, even if they themselves are locked in combat! This is going to make characters with pistols <cough-Cypher-cough> incredibly deadly up-close.

When picking a target, you won’t be able to shoot enemies that are in combat with other units, much like the current edition. However, you can fall back from combat in your Movement phase, allowing other units to fire at your opponent at the expense of your own actions this turn. Expect to see cunning generals deploying their armies in waves to take full advantage of this.

Heavy weapons are worth talking about too. These no longer snap fire if you move, and instead they have a flat -1 to hit modifier for moving units. This applies to all models with heavy weapons, vehicles included. There are a few other factors that affect hit rolls too – smoke launchers on a vehicle, for example, have the same effect of -1 to hit.

New40kShootingStormtalon.jpg

The last big change we’re going over today is cover. Currently, cover saves give a blanket save to all units, and one that only comes into effect if the shot would otherwise ignore their armour. In the new Warhammer 40,000, cover is a bonus to your armour save. Critically, this ability often only applies to certain types of unit. For example, only Infantry gain the bonus of cover from a crater.

This interaction works quite nicely with the modifiers to armour saves of certain guns, and means that when someone is trying to hide behind a wall or barricade, if your weapon has a high enough armour penetration, you can shoot them through a wall!

There are also a few weapons that ignore this bonus cover to armour effect – such as those wielded by Chaos Noise Marines and a Leman Russ’ nova cannon.

There you have it – a few of the changes you can look forward to in the Shooting phase.

We’ll be back tomorrow with news on the Charge phase.

• Like 6

-1 to shoot if you move... Not bad. Makes things more mobile in general and more shooty, though there was no mention of shooting at flyers...

So with pistols you shoot the closest enemy, but not one locked in combat. Does that mean you are shooting the unit your locked in combat with, or the next closest unit?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PumpkinHead said:

So with pistols you shoot the closest enemy, but not one locked in combat. Does that mean you are shooting the unit your locked in combat with, or the next closest unit?

Looks like you shoot the unit you're in combat with.

Makes pistols more attractive.  I had wishlisted a while back to have pistols overwatch at full BS.  This works similarly. 

• Like 2

Cover added to armor is awesome.  I've hated since 3rd edition how marines in the open were just as survivable as marines in cover when shot at by most weapons.  This is awesome.

The -1 to hit on heavies emphasizes small arms on fast platforms, but also helps high bs infantry a lot.  Very strong balancing factor.

• Like 2

"But, you'll probably be able to more more than 6" with most vehicles as movement isn't standardised any more. And you can shoot your turret weapon AND hull weapon at only -1. Your transports are going to be fine, trust us."

Q: "now I can finally move my long fangs around, and my blood claws will me amazing in close combat. are negative modifiers to BS cumulative? say for example a heavy weapon unit moved and the enemy triggered their smoke launcher."
A: "Yes, they will be.
Hitting a vehicle in a cloud, while moving, with a sniper rifle is pretty tricky."

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, pretre said:

If plasma weapons hit in CC now, are they actually worth the points for the first time in 7 editions?

Back in third when they had chaos legions in white dwarf. World eaters could get plasma pistols for 5 points. They were worth it since they had no other weapon choice.

1 hour ago, pretre said:

If plasma weapons hit in CC now, are they actually worth the points for the first time in 7 editions?

It's possible, but it will still come down to points.  That being said, it certainly ups their utility.

I'm interested to hear if we still have move-shoot-assault or if it will go to charging in the movement phase.  Meaning, you move into base contact during the movement phase and then swing in the assault phase.

I really hope this is the new way (how does AoS handle it?), as that again is a buff to pistols (since you don't lose the shot and you can't shoot yourself out of charge range) and also means you have to commit to it earlier and have less time to soften up the enemy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fluger said:

I've hated since 3rd edition how marines in the open were just as survivable as marines in cover when shot at by most weapons.  This is awesome.

Yep, now it's just terminators that are as survivable in cover as they are outside of it. Personally I find it odd considering they added shooting modifiers in the same breath, but maybe there's a balance issue between 3+ units and 2+ units we're not aware of yet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kremmet said:

Yep, now it's just terminators that are as survivable in cover as they are outside of it. Personally I find it odd considering they added shooting modifiers in the same breath, but maybe there's a balance issue between 3+ units and 2+ units we're not aware of yet.

6 minutes ago, Skkipper said:

It is going to be armour mods that make a difference say gun has -1 ap then termis in cover are still 2+

Exactly what I was going to say.  But yes, against shooting with no penalty to the save, terminators in cover are the same as without.  Still weird.  

For sure.  I would've preferred a to hit penalty, but I also like the reverse idea that a guardsmen hiding behind a piece of terrain getting hit by a lascannon doesn't get as good of a save as if they were hit by a bolter.  That's pretty slick.

Frankly, I like the SAGA version of cover best where basic cover makes it harder to hit and hard cover makes it harder to hit and increases the armor.  

• Like 2