New 40k edition

pretre

5 minutes ago, PumpkinHead said:

Not liking the 0-2 flyers on the detachment. That means you have to decide between crones, harpies, and flyrants, or take multiple detachments to try and fit them in.

agreed. I have the fire raptor, storm eagle, heldrakes and assault pod that can't fit into one. hopefully there is an airforce detachment.

WARNING: Force Commander DasBox ran afoul of two Tau formations last Sunday and hasn't been the same since.

I danced and capered about like a loon when I found out  formations were going away. No more BS freebie super powers keeping honest us IG players down. Now you'll have to fight fair again universe! And WE just fixed bayonets....

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DasBox said:

WARNING: Force Commander DasBox ran afoul of two Tau formations last Sunday and hasn't been the same since.

I danced and capered about like a loon when I found out  formations were going away. No more BS freebie super powers keeping honest us IG players down. Now you'll have to fight fair again universe! And WE just fixed bayonets....

I'm just hoping I can still field my all tank IG list...

27 minutes ago, DasBox said:

I don't think formations would have bothered folks quite as much had some more effort been put into balancing them but I digress. Tanks'll be fine. I gett the feeling though they might get a reduced armor save from behind. Seems like a simple way of doing it.

They probably also would have been better received if the very first one hadn't been one of the strongest. I love the idea of Formations, but the execution was terrible.

Another cool thing about the new system is that, assuming there is a Detachment to run an all-Tank IG Army, that would also be usable to run an Armoured Krumpany or (Chaos) Space Marine Armoured Task Force, or any other Faction's all-Tank Army.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, WestRider said:

They probably also would have been better received if the very first one hadn't been one of the strongest. I love the idea of Formations, but the execution was terrible.

Another cool thing about the new system is that, assuming there is a Detachment to run an all-Tank IG Army, that would also be usable to run an Armoured Krumpany or (Chaos) Space Marine Armoured Task Force, or any other Faction's all-Tank Army.

I've always wanted an effective Aurora Chapter all tank space marine force.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fluger said:

I've always wanted an effective Aurora Chapter all tank space marine force.

The Angels of Death book actually has a Decurion for that. I was kind of thinking of using it in a more casual game, taking all my SM Tanks, Chaos and Loyalist, and pooling them together. Pretty sure I've got 9 Predators, altogether :D

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, fluger said:

I look forward to seeing if predators are worth their points.

I just want a Land Raider with van vets a termie chaplain and then a ton of preds and a whirlwind or two.

With the switch to wounds maybe landraiders will get so many they are worth their points! Maybe a rule that ignores effectiveness reductions who knows yay all new 40k!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, VonVilkee said:

With the switch to wounds maybe landraiders will get so many they are worth their points! Maybe a rule that ignores effectiveness reductions who knows yay all new 40k!

I for one would be super excited to see Land Raiders more often on the field! They are such a cool kit!

• Like 3

Behold a quote from the darkest pits of the internet:

"Almost 20 years I have played 40k. It doesn't really change. New minis and new rules come about but it is always fundamentally the same game. You ether adapt, play an ageless army or you tumble into the pit with the other mewling spawn and bitch for eternity."

-Anonymous

I thought you all might find it something worthy of pondering. Not calling you whiners.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DasBox said:

That's a good question. I'd argue any well organized IG army is ageless but I've been playing guard for ages. Simple Space Marine armies built around a Command Squad and two Tac. Squads might  be qualified as "ageless".

I'd argue that guard have randomly added and subtracted tank variants every time a book comes out, sometimes wildly. The 4th ed book had what 2 Leman Russ, a basilisk, and hellhound? Then 5th something like quadrupled the number of variants. 

But I get your point. They've always had essentially 3 unit profiles. Standard guardsmen, chimera chassis, and Leman Russ chassis.

• Like 2