New 40k edition

pretre

11 minutes ago, Munkie said:

I'd argue that guard have randomly added and subtracted tank variants every time a book comes out, sometimes wildly. The 4th ed book had what 2 Leman Russ, a basilisk, and hellhound? Then 5th something like quadrupled the number of variants. 

But I get your point. They've always had essentially 3 unit profiles. Standard guardsmen, chimera chassis, and Leman Russ chassis.

Exactly. There have always been the three solid standbys for IG. Trooper, Tank and Transport. I never really fell for all those fancy new fangle variants of the Russ. Only things I use beyond the base variant is the Vanquisher. 

• Like 1

Did you think we were finished with Cadia?|

Think again.

We saw the fall of the fortress world as the catalyst that began the events of the Gathering Storm. Abaddon’s greatest Black Crusade smashed against the defences of the planet in overwhelming force, but not before the world’s defenders enacted a devastating toll on the attackers.

The planet’s stubborn defence also bought the Imperium precious time to entrench forces on neighbouring worlds and systems; siege works were dug, artillery emplaced, and weapons raised to the sky to await the coming onslaught.

Abaddon was successful though, and following the fall of Cadia (and possibly, because of it) a great warp rift rent the galaxy in half, allowing the forces of Chaos to launch their attacks across the entire length of the Imperium.

New40kWarZoneCadiaBlackLeg.jpg

As they dispersed, though, their strength around the Cadian Sector – as well as in and around the Eye of Terror itself – thinned. Many warbands of Traitor Legionaries and renegades, some in direct disregard of the Despoiler’s orders, used the opportunity to bypass the defenders of the Gate entirely and launch their attacks on more vulnerable worlds elsewhere in the galaxy.

This has left huge numbers of Imperial defenders deployed around Cadia awaiting a coordinated Chaos second wave that may never come. There are whispers in Imperial Sector Command of the possibility of retaliatory strikes, of claiming back some territory lost in the recent war, and even of reclaiming the ruins of Cadia herself.

New40kWarZoneCadiaMap.jpg

Poised around the Eye sits a force of Space Marines rivalling that of the Legions of old, entire Knight Households, and of course, the orphans of Cadia themselves – more than 200 regiments of Astra Militarum shock troops eager for vengeance.

Cadia may have broken; the Guard, have not.

We’re sure a few of you Imperial players have been itching for retaliation since the Storm came to Cadia. Maybe your time is now…

We’ll be back tomorrow with more news on the new edition, when we look at how the biggest models in the game will work.

Today we take a look at the biggest models in the game, and how they’re going to work in the new edition.|

There are a few big changes here, though we covered some of them a little when we looked at profiles. Like the three units we’ve seen already, every model will be using the same profile system, so everything will have Wounds, Toughness, Strength, etc… This includes all vehicles.

We’ve also gotten rid of specific rules for Gargantuan Creatures and Super-heavy vehicles. Instead, these units will have a suitably impressive statline, but still play by the same rules as everyone else. This also means that those units that previously sat just shy of Super-heavy status, and missed out on bunch of special rules because of it, will now be appropriately killy and durable.

New40kLargeModelsTyranid.jpg

You’ll soon see that some of Warhammer 40,000’s biggest hitters have A LOT of Wounds, high Toughness and a good save. The biggest Tyranid monsters now have over a dozen wounds, where Imperial Knights have over 20!

This makes them almost infinitely survivable against small arms fire, but means that high-power weapons that can take chunks of wounds off at a time (lascannons, powerfists, battle cannons, etc) can take them down relatively quickly when brought to bear in force. Gone are the days of a lucky first-turn meltagun blowing up your Land Raider. (A squad of them will still ruin its day though…)

There are almost no weapons in the game now that can instantly kill these big guys, so there will be no shortcuts to dealing with them – you have to get your hands dirty and take those Wounds off.

New40kLargeModelsGorkanaut.jpg

This can make big models very powerful, but there is a counter mechanic in the rules. As these large, powerful models take damage, their combat effectiveness starts to degrade. The best way to show you this is with an example.

Here we have a Mork(or possibly Gork)anaut (as requested by Stacy from our Warhammer 40,000 Facebook page):

New40kLargeModelsMorkanautProfile-1.jpg

Whoa, so – with 18 Wounds at Toughness 8, this guy is a tough cookie to crack – able to wade through bolter fire untroubled and requiring a lot of heavy weapons shots to take down.

You can see, though, as it gets to the point of only having half its Wounds left, this walker starts to get less effective – it will move slower and its attacks will get more clumsy as servos are fused, and sensor arrays fail to register.

At 4 Wounds left, it’s all but crippled, though its shooting output will be undiminished – so it starts as a combat wrecking ball at the beginning of the battle, crashing through enemy lines, and ends up as more of a semi-mobile shooting fortress at the end of its life.

Different vehicles will be reduced in effectiveness in different ways too – some will get worse at shooting, some will slow down, and some some will become less effective in melee.

So, the big stuff sounds pretty scary!

We’ll be back tomorrow with some good news for the little guys, when we look at how infantry work, and how combined firepower can be used to topple even the mightiest foes.

• Like 3

Faction Focus: Chaos Space Marines

Who is Frankie, and Why should I care?

Frankie is part of the team that runs some of the biggest independent Warhammer 40,000 events in the world, including the Las Vegas Open, the Bay Area Open and the recently announced Southern California Open. An avid player for years, with an impressive tournament record, he’s also been part of the playtest team for the new edition of Warhammer 40,000, putting in hundreds of hours to make sure this new edition will be great for all you gamers out there (Thanks Frankie!).

So, basically, he know’s his stuff.

Today, we start a new article series where he (and a few others) will talk about how the new edition is going to affect specific factions, and what units they think we’ll be seeing more of. We start off with Chaos Space Marines – take it away Frankie…

FrankiesGuideCSMBanner.jpg

Hello Warhammer Community readers! Frankie here from the SoCal Open Gaming Convention to talk to you about the (alleged!) bad guys of the 41st Millennium and some of what to expect from them in the new Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Space Marines. Okay so maybe they’re actually pretty bad, especially after Abaddon’s success in destroying Cadia, but we all know the False Emperor is the real bad guy here….

I myself have always enjoyed playing Chaos; the models are incredible and their back story is the best. The interactions between the Chaos Lords is amazing as well, as most of them don’t respect (or even like) each other but will join up to win battles and earn glory for Chaos. My favorite thing about Chaos is the Daemon Engines that they have in their armies. Flying mechanical space dragons breathing warpfire that burns your soul? Sign me up!

Chaos armies usually lean towards close combat, which is not what you normally see from a lot of armies in Warhammer 40,000 currently. Chaos has a solid control of the psychic phase as well, with the nasty Sorcerer Cabal that has been rampaging across the tables around the world – very fitting for an army that largely calls the warp home.

The troops you usually see on the field are the bravest humans in the galaxy, the Chaos Cultists! The Cultist Champion will challenge any foe that is willing to accept no matter how powerful they are. He usually doesn’t do anything that would impress the Chaos Gods, but at least he is willing to try!

FrankieCSMCultists.jpg

Now for the moment everyone has been waiting for: how does Chaos play in the new edition? It has been a long time since we’ve seen Chaos armies with a lot of power armour on the tables, but no more! In the new edition, you will be seeing a great many Chaos armies, and a lot of them will have power armour in abundance! Yes, you read that right, you will want to have Chaos Space Marines in Chaos Space Marine armies!

Make sure to dust off your Havocs and gear them up for business as they are going to be helping the galaxy burn, baby! The changes to Heavy weapons have made these guys a great choice to help defeat the deluded lapdogs of the Emperor.

I cannot remember the last time I saw Havocs on the table, and it is a very welcome sight! Make sure to have a fully stocked arsenal as those lascannons, autocannon, missile launchers and even – you better believe it – heavy bolters, as they are going to be doing plenty of work in this new version of Warhammer 40,000!

They will provide excellent cover fire for your Chaos Terminators which will now strike fear into the hearts of your opponent as they bring devastation to the battlefield where they are least expected.

FrankieCSMBlackLegion.jpg

Abbadon has always been a bit of a disappointment to me. I have tried to play him in countless armies, but he often just ended up poking himself in the eye with Drach’nyen and not accomplishing a whole lot. Well how about we change that around and allow Abbadon to kick some serious Imperial tail?

Your wish is Games Workshop’s command, and now Abbadon has the rules to stomp face all along the Crimson Path (no surprise here, but he’s claiming credit for the Great Rift). Cadia was just the first step! He is a force to reckon with and inspires his Legion, allowing them to dominate the battlefield with an incredible ability which I will not spoil for you here. He is also a monster in combat, as his back-story would suggest, tearing people apart with the Talon of Horus and Drach’nyen. Imperium, be prepared for the Black Legion to cast an ominous shadow across the galaxy once again.

As stated above, your Daemon Engines will be rightly feared as well. With the changes to rules we’ve seen in vehicles, these furious engines of destruction no longer need to worry about being destroyed by a single lascannon shot as they prowl the battlefields.

FrankieCSMDaemonEngines.jpg

Lastly, I want to talk about some of the most savage close combat fighters in the galaxy: the Khorne Berzerkers.

These guys are supposed to be feared for their brutality and combat prowess. Well, guess what? They will be – start fearing them now. Khorne will be pleased with this newest iteration of Berzerkers… very pleased! One of the key things that makes these blood-hungry units so good is the change to charging, as now they all get to swing first in a turn in which they charged. No more getting wiped out before they have the chance to hit anything.

What about chainaxes, you ask? You will want to arm all of your “Blood for the Blood God” warriors with these bad boys. Wait…Blood for the Blood God…what does that do? I guess you will have to wait and find out when these warriors hit the tabletops, but trust me, blood and skulls will be reaped!

FrankieCSMBerzerkers.jpg

That is truly just the tip of the iceberg, too. So many units that have languished on the shelves are going to rise up from the ashes to wreak havoc on the tabletops and provide hours of fun.

Well, I hope all you Chaos players are as excited as I am about this new edition. Make sure to get all those unfinished Chaos models ready for battle so you can hit the tables and planets in style!

We’ll be back in a few days to here from Reece about the Astra Militarum.

Share this:

•  
  •  

Tags:

• Latest News & Features
  • Warhammer 40,000

Never Miss a Post

More to explore

Out Now

Don't miss the latest new releases.

Dawn of War III

Out Now. Death comes for all.

Warhammer Live

Subscribe to our Twitch channel today!

The Regimental Standard

Catch up on your required reading, Guardsman.

Photography Guide

Detailed instructions and helpful hints from the pros.

Tip of the Day Playlist

Over 100 painting videos with Duncan

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dusldorf said:

It made me mad. Zero details, just the author saying, "And THIS unit is better! And THIS unit! And THIS unit!" Great...thanks for sharing...

Well they obviously can't share details yet it's just a teaser. However acknowledging that certain units are actually bad is a huge step forward.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, fluger said:

Well they obviously can't share details yet it's just a teaser. However acknowledging that certain units are actually bad is a huge step forward.

A guest contributor who is heavily involved in the tourney scene saying certain models don't get play cuz they blow isn't the same as GW admitting that some units are actually bad. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

A guest contributor who is heavily involved in the tourney scene saying certain models don't get play cuz they blow isn't the same as GW admitting that some units are actually bad. 

I can not recall offhand a single instance that anything coming from an official source ever admitting a unit is bad.

• Like 1

Looks like a solid buff to the Ork Nauts,,though ive sold both of mine(along with most of my Ork army) last year.I may be regretting that if the transport rules pan out to allow assaults out of vehicles.Oh well,,if so ill just have to buy more!,,I didnt really like my paintjobs anyway,heh

Wondering if they will use a similar formula to the new transport rules that came into AoS with the recent Khadron Warlords release.That works so that units can load up in their movement phase as long as the entire unit can make it to within a certain range of the vehicle(6" i think),,and it doesnt say they cant run to do this.Then,once loaded they pretty much dissapear from the board,cant do anything,and arent affected by any powers or abilities.Interesting part is that to dismount,,you do that in your hero phase which is the first phase of the players turn.
  Im assuming 40 will have allowance to shoot out of transports and perhaps unit specific rules to allow dismounting at the end of the movement phase,thus being able to charge after.

• Like 2

New Warhammer 40,000: Infantry

40k-header.jpg

Yesterday, we looked at the biggest models in Warhammer 40,000, and how devastating they can be.

Today, we’re going to look at the little guys.

The new Warhammer 40,000 will give infantry a chance to shine. There is stuff you just can’t do with very well with vehicles, bikes and walkers, like hold ruins, use cover effectively and swarm the battlefield in numbers to claim every objective.

New40kInfantryArt.jpg

One thing that is certainly going to help infantry out is the fact that everything can harm everything in the game. We’ve heard already that characteristics don’t cap at 10 anymore, so the old 10×10 strength vs toughness table was in for an update. In the new edition, there’s a simple but elegant system to find out what you need to wound:

New40kInfantryTable-239x500.jpg

So, you can see that while even the humble lasgun has a chance to take down the biggest foe, you’ll need a lot of small-arms fire to really threaten the big stuff. We’ve already seen the profiles of a Space Marine, a bolter, a lascannon and a Gorkanaut, and now we know all the steps to work out just how such a Shooting phase might go. Some quick maths tells us that we’d need over 500 bolters firing at that Gorkanaut to bring it down, whereas you’d need just over a dozen lascannons. So, while you might occasionally chip the odd wound off with bolters, lasguns or shootas, you might find that your standard infantry guns are better used elsewhere.

Not a problem though, because in the new Warhammer 40,000, models in a squad can fire at different targets. So, this means your Tactical Squad can have your boys with bolters deal with that onrushing Hormagaunt horde, while the flamer bathes a nearby Lictor in prometheum fire, and the squad’s krak missile takes an opportunistic pop-shot at that onrushing Carnifex – just as you always imagined they should!

Infantry is going to have a lot to offer a cunning general in this edition.

Tomorrow, we’ll take a look at how characters work, join us then.

• Like 3