New 40k edition

pretre

Yesterday, we looked at the biggest models in Warhammer 40,000, and how devastating they can be.|

Today, we’re going to look at the little guys.

The new Warhammer 40,000 will give infantry a chance to shine. There is stuff you just can’t do with very well with vehicles, bikes and walkers, like hold ruins, use cover effectively and swarm the battlefield in numbers to claim every objective.

New40kInfantryArt.jpg

One thing that is certainly going to help infantry out is the fact that everything can harm everything in the game. We’ve heard already that characteristics don’t cap at 10 anymore, so the old 10×10 strength vs toughness table was in for an update. In the new edition, there’s a simple but elegant system to find out what you need to wound:

New40kInfantryTable.jpg

So, you can see that while even the humble lasgun has a chance to take down the biggest foe, you’ll need a lot of small-arms fire to really threaten the big stuff. We’ve already seen the profiles of a Space Marine, a bolter, a lascannon and a Gorkanaut, and now we know all the steps to work out just how such a Shooting phase might go. Some quick maths tells us that we’d need over 500 bolters firing at that Gorkanaut to bring it down, whereas you’d need just over a dozen lascannons. So, while you might occasionally chip the odd wound off with bolters, lasguns or shootas, you might find that your standard infantry guns are better used elsewhere.

Not a problem though, because in the new Warhammer 40,000, models in a squad can fire at different targets. So, this means your Tactical Squad can have your boys with bolters deal with that onrushing Hormagaunt horde, while the flamer bathes a nearby Lictor in prometheum fire, and the squad’s krak missile takes an opportunistic pop-shot at that onrushing Carnifex – just as you always imagined they should!

Infantry is going to have a lot to offer a cunning general in this edition.

Tomorrow, we’ll take a look at how characters work, join us then.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, fluger said:

I was thinking about this and the new to wound rolls means infantry is less susceptible to mid strength weapons.  Now T4 models are only wounded on a 3+ from S5 to S7.  T3 models from 4 to 5.  Makes T4 very desirable.

Yeah, that right there cuts casualties from S6-7 fire by 20% for T4 Units. That's pretty substantial for stuff like Orks or Berzerkers trying to get across the table into Assault.

10 minutes ago, WestRider said:

Yeah, that right there cuts casualties from S6-7 fire by 20% for T4 Units. That's pretty substantial for stuff like Orks or Berzerkers trying to get across the table into Assault.

Yup, and flipped the other way, mid strength attacks should now be more useful against High Toughness targets.  Take the t8 we've been seeing.  S5 to S7 has the same chance against it.  Depending on ultimate values it could lead to a few sweet spot S and T.

I can see why Heavy Bolters were called out as useful now since they have a decent high rate of firepower and we assume at least a -1 to armor.  Vs T4-T9 it wounds the same as S6.  As well, they wound T4 the same as S6 or S7.  I'm really interested to see how this all plays out.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

A guest contributor who is heavily involved in the tourney scene saying certain models don't get play cuz they blow isn't the same as GW admitting that some units are actually bad. 

But a guest contributor who is a tourny player who loves the fluff of Chaos but won't play certain units because they are bad and is now saying that you will want to run units x,y,and z becasue he is a playtester and has been putting a ton of time into playtesting this edition. He now is telling us a lot without actually telling us things. While this article could have been better with some actual rules and unit info, it shows that GW is taking a lot of different voices into the game to make it the best it can be (hopefully they won't blow it). 

• Like 2

Shooting different weapon profiles at different units is exciting. I mean.... I doubt Tyranids will make much use of it, but it'll be fun to see mixed weapons in the squads I'm up against. This could make Warriors more interesting too. Warriors may actually get really good. T4 to get you over that hurdle, no more doubling out (at least I think it's gone? Unless it just becomes multiple wounds), now you can toss a bio-cannon in there and it isn't just a waste... Probably the same statline as marines plus a couple wounds, and still 4+ save I imagine.

And it makes me wonder about trading Nids for Marines. I love the concept of generalist units. Mixed weapons to handle multiple targets, but it wasn't very effective since I started playing because you couldn't split fire. Sounds like it might be more effective now.

Has anyone picked up on anything about charging rules for which units are able to be charged? If you fire on multiple units, which unit do you choose, or is the requirement to charge a unit you shot gone entirely. How does this work in 7th with split fire? Can you assault one/both/primary unit.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, VonVilkee said:

Seemed like charging happens before shooting so engaged models can't shoot not even a problem to consider.

This is extrapolated from the pistol discussion where they can shoot even in close...

Interesting, I hadn't taken it that way but it's possible.

Movement / Psychic / Charge / Shooting / Fight

Also would mean if you fail to charge you can still shoot...

• Like 2

Well...  It is GW's job to make money off our enthusiasm.  It is Frankies as well.  That being said, I don't think Frankie would ever walk over the line of being disingenuous on the subject of this, and so his enthusiasm for Abaddon alone makes me excited and i am giving him the benefit of the doubt on it.  

I have no earthly clue how "real" the feelings are for this new edition from those "in the know" but I do know that I have a vast collection by any measure and am going to be very excited for the opportunity to test another 100 unorthodox mad creations in the laboratories that are the 41st Millenniums battlefields!

How cool will it be to see say... a Hunter actually grace the table?  tactical Marines not to be met with the "Meh" response?  Terminators lambasted online for being "overcosted", a leader like Abaddon unshelved and something besides Heldrakes taking up the Fast Attack slots?  Dare to dream:  Tau flyers that people don't routinely dismiss?  Ogryns that anyone would field?  The list of such possibilities is really the most exciting part of the new edition.  the rules are cooooool and aaaall but what they will do with the lost and forgotten units is of paramount importance to the game balance and along with that, whether they will "fix" things on the fly when it becomes apparent people aren't using something...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

the rules are cooooool and aaaall but what they will do with the lost and forgotten units is of paramount importance to the game balance and whether they will "fix" things on the fly when it becomes apparent people aren't using something...

Exactly,  

I have hope, but nothing else.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, fluger said:

To be clear, I have hope for the first time in ages...

This mirrors my thoughts pretty closely. While I don't think 40k will suddenly become a game known for its tactical depth, it can at least be less cluttered up by archaic design principles and poorly worded rules with little-to-no clarification given. That would be a drastic change for 40k and GW as a whole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fluger said:

Interesting, I hadn't taken it that way but it's possible.

Movement / Psychic / Charge / Shooting / Fight

Also would mean if you fail to charge you can still shoot...

unless the act of declaring a charge disallows it... this could open allot of possibilities for pistols as shooting in close along with better melee makes pistol armed melee units better than others...

• Like 1