New 40k edition

pretre

2 hours ago, fluger said:

I still like the 2nd ed version best.  Roll to hit as normal, but ever hit equals 2 hits.

IIRC, it was only that way for single-shot Weapons. Stuff with multiple shots just rolled twice as many Sustained Fire Dice. I can understand their desire to not have the same Rule doing totally different things for different Weapons, tho. Now you just roll 4 dice for that Predator Annihilator, instead of needing one to be different for the TL Las.

• Like 1

Anyone else notice melta will be improved vs monstrous creatures and characters? Damage at half range is roll 2d6 discard lowest no mention of vehicles only! Great way of handling them and getting rid of instant death. 

I do wonder if there will be a rule out there that reduces damage suffered. Like by half or to just one no matter what. That would be super powerful. 

• Like 2

I am going to assume that the game is going away from things that make people angry.  How many angry posts about Triple Heldrakes or Magnus and his flying batteries or the stupid thing they did with Tzeentch horrors.  

I think they are going for a game where stuff dies, but you don't feel cheated by it. They want the game OVER in a reasonable amount of time and they want the stuff that really should be quite impressive, like Land Raiders, to be super impressive.  they want things to "work like they seem they should", which is a mantra they have repeated soooooo many times in their communications.  The pattern is clear:  verisimilitude, lots of dying, a focus on actually making all the units useful and simplicity to learn while difficulty to master.  

...And oh they are going to make sure every model is worth buying because for once (we hope) they figured out that having certain thigns suck (Looking at you, Eldar Rangers) simply makes no financial sense for them.

• Like 3

I'm starting to realize that infantry is going to be significantly more survivable. 

A battle cannon shooting at marines in the open averages 1 dead marine.  And averages a wound on a Leman Russ.

A twin linked heavy bolter is roughly equivalent.

It starts getting more interesting when one realizes most small arms don't negate armor, upping the survivability of guardsmen or fire warriors significantly.

Factor in the statements about how infantry alone can get bonuses from some cover, and...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pretre said:

Man, that seems like a really low fatality rate. Can't even kill one dude, just deafen him?

It's part of a greater strategy. Why kill a soldier when you can disfigure them and send them home? They will put strain on the imperial medical system and kill the enthusiasm for the war effort.

Very clever indeed. 

• Like 4

I love the way of handling blasts and template weapons. Think of the time savings! You don't need to carefully spread out your models if opponents have blast weapons. Thudd Guns and Thunderfire Cannons won't take forever to fire. No more finagling to get the one placement that gets a mm of another model's base under it.

For the speed and simplicity, I'm a fan!

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, DasBox said:

I'm miffed my Battle Cannons aren't going to kill the traitors & gribbly thing from beyond The Stars/Time And Space/Dawn of History any where near as well as they used to. Also I'm a little worried for my poor Russ crews, at this rate they'll need counseling.

The trade off is that battle cannons will now be doing righteous amounts of damage on big targets where before they weren't.  Now a Wraithguard needs to fear a battlecannon.  Think about it.

17 minutes ago, JMGraham said:

For the speed and simplicity, I'm a fan!

Yup, it also takes away moments of high variance, like a unit being forced to disembark a vehicle that is all clumped up.  Either you get a huge hit and wipe a squad or it deviates to nowhere.

Just now, DasBox said:

Guess your right but I just used Vanquishers for the burly things. 

I suspect they will be doing D6 wounds instead of D3.  Maybe.  Either way, the iconic battle cannon is a threat to anything in the game at this point.  That's nice.