New 40k edition

pretre

So Land Raider Spartans will pump out 8 las cannon shots? Godhammers will do 4. Plus all the h. bolters/ assault cannons. Battle cannons are d6/s8/d3 + battleshock. Land Raider Crusaders will now shred infantry when you include splitfire and battle shock. This whole edition is looking better and better.

• Like 1

I'm curious what Haywire will do in 8th edition (please don't make me swap arms on my scourges again).

Historically, it's excelled vs vehicles, but is mediocre at best against anything else. With the line between vehicle and monstrous creature ranging somewhere between blurry and non-existent, it seems like it may turn into just a general big game hunter. I'm all for that :)

Humm points prediction based on 2000 point armies-

LR-base 400

Leman Russ 280 base w/battle cannon

IG 10 man squad base price 80 pts

IK 500

WK assuming it still has invuln 580

SM captain-160 base price

Ork Warboss-120 base price

Of course,just distance 40k further from AoS they will probably use points basing on a 10k point army or something,lol

1 hour ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Do AoS points differ that dramatically from WFB?

I hear going from points to no points is a pretty big difference. :wink:

That aside, yes, General's Handbook points differ quite a bit from what WHFB was. That said, AoS is nothing like WHFB so that's not all that surprising. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Munkie said:

I'm curious what Haywire will do in 8th edition (please don't make me swap arms on my scourges again).

Historically, it's excelled vs vehicles, but is mediocre at best against anything else. With the line between vehicle and monstrous creature ranging somewhere between blurry and non-existent, it seems like it may turn into just a general big game hunter. I'm all for that :)

I'm kind of expecting that Vehicles will be keyworded, so Haywire will have something like "Always Wounds on 2+ against targets with the Vehicle Type."

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Kremmet said:

I hear going from points to no points is a pretty big difference. :wink:

That aside, yes, General'a Handbook points differ quite a bit from what WHFB was. That said, AoS is nothing like WHFB so that's not all that surprising. 

I played alot of AoS pre-GH we usually used the fan project scrollbuilder.com,,and now I hear that person is being contacted to work with GW on projects,,possibly has worked on the 40k point system even.
  I also played alot of non points AoS,,we usually just matched wounds or even just based armies on a warscroll limit,,no more than 1 monster,3 heros,,stuff like that.Yes it can get rather wonky but for the most part everyone usually  was pretty casual about it and never really threw down stupid stuff as its no fun to steamroll or be steamrolled.Overall games were pretty balanced even without points,,but no one was trying to break it here locally so theres that,heh.

3 hours ago, Threejacks said:

Overall games were pretty balanced even without points,,but no one was trying to break it here locally so theres that,heh.

Things tend to be balanced when everybody is on the same page. Ostensibly, points are there so you can play new people in new environments without arguing over the supremely subjective point that is what's broken. I also played a fair amount of AoS when it came out which makes me quite thankful that 8th at least sounds like it'll launch as a full game.

• Like 1

In Warhammer 40,000, a unit’s rules can be found on its datasheet.|

Currently, a lot of these rules will reference universal special rules, and you might need to do some digging to find a specific rule in the main rulebook, or just be really good at memorising a lot of rules.

Not for the new Warhammer 40,000 – universal special rules are out, and all the rules for a unit will appear on its datasheet – no more lugging a demi-library of books to every game night to ensure you have all the rules you need. Even the rules for weapons will be on there for the most common weapons the unit is likely to be equipped with. The best way to show you is with an example. We’ll be using the Rubric Marines Datasheet, as requested by Marco Tonino on our Warhammer 40,000 Facebook page.

New40kDatasheetsRubric.jpg

Ok, lots going on in there, so let’s look at a few elements.

At the very top right, we have the Troop icon, which represents the unit’s battlefield role. There are actually two ways to use Rubric Marines, either as an Elite choice in a Chaos Space Marines force (maybe belonging to a sorcerer pledged to the Black Legion or a renegade warlord), or if your detachment is pure Thousand Sons, they can be Troops, much like today.

Next to that we have Power Level, which we’ll look at in detail tomorrow, but for the moment, suffice to say that it is a quick and easy mechanism for balancing in less competitive narrative or open play games.

New40kDatasheetsSorcerer.jpg

Then we have the unit profile. You can see the Rubric Marine is, perhaps unsurprisingly, quite similar to a Tactical Marine we’ve seen already. These guys are a little slower than their non-dust brothers, whereas the Sorcerer leading the unit is faster and a more deadly close combat fighter with his extra attack.

Wargear options are listed next, along with stats for their weapons. Most units have all their weapons on their datasheet, though some with a lot of options (Space Marine Tactical Squads, for example) will list only the most common.

Next we have Abilities. Universal special rules are out, so any time a unit acts differently to what its stats might indicate, the rules for how will be in here. The bulk of these rules will be written in full, but there might occasionally be an army-wide, or very common rule for a given faction that isn’t, though these will always be in that same publication with page references, to make finding it easy.

New40kDatsheetsrRubric.jpg

After the special abilities and psychic powers are the keywords. There are two types of these.

The first, faction keywords, are what you use when selecting your detachments for a Battle-forged army, and often trigger in-game effects regarding what units gain benefits from certain Characters or can travel in specific Transports.

Other keywords are not involved in selecting an army, and usually have more general battlefield effects – for example, perhaps only Infantry can gain the full benefit of certain types of cover.

So, there are Datasheets and some juicy new Thousand Sons rules to speculate about.

We’ll be back tomorrow to look at points and power levels.

• Like 2