New 40k edition

pretre

The data sheet mentions power level, and the article says "...less competitive narrative or open play games..." So what about competitive? There have to be a mechanism to balance out a stock unit of guys vs a unit of tooled up guys. And if this datasheet is supposed to be all encompassing, I find the lack of competitive play description disturbing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PumpkinHead said:

The data sheet mentions power level, and the article says "...less competitive narrative or open play games..." So what about competitive? There have to be a mechanism to balance out a stock unit of guys vs a unit of tooled up guys. And if this datasheet is supposed to be all encompassing, I find the lack of competitive play description disturbing.

That must be coming in The Primarchs Handbook

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PumpkinHead said:

The live QA mentioned this already.  Power level is for casual, normal points are still in.

• Like 4

Someone on FB reminded me of the real winners this week:

Ork Bikes.

Currently: 3 Shots, TL. 1 Hit, reroll and 4/9 hit. So 1 and 4/9 hits per bike.

8th: 6 Shots. 2 Hit. So 2 hits per bike.

That may not sound like much of an improvement, but 6 shots per bike!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pretre said:

Someone on FB reminded me of the real winners this week:

Ork Bikes.

Currently: 3 Shots, TL. 1 Hit, reroll and 4/9 hit. So 1 and 4/9 hits per bike.

8th: 6 Shots. 2 Hit. So 2 hits per bike.

That may not sound like much of an improvement, but 6 shots per bike!

Heck, even basic biker marines now shoot 4 times at 12" range.

• Like 1

Warhammer 40,000 Faction Focus: Eldar

Who is Reece, and why should I care?

Reece helps runs some of the biggest independent Warhammer 40,000 events in the world, including the Las Vegas Open and the recently announced Southern California Open. Like Frankie, he’s also been part of the playtest team for the new edition of Warhammer 40,000, putting in hundreds of hours to make sure this new edition will be great for all you gamers out there (Thanks Reece!).

He knows what he’s talking about when it comes to Warhammer 40,000, so let’s see what he has so say…

40kFFEldarBanner2.jpg

Reece: The enigmatic Aeldari of the Craftworlds have been granted new hope thanks to the birth of Ynnead, but what should we expect from them in new Warhammer 40,000 in regards to playstyle?

The Craftworld Aeldari, one of the most iconic races in the grim darkness of the 41st Millennium, have had a long and storied journey through the history of the game. They have been waging a battle for survival since before the Emperor was a gleam in humanity’s collective eye, and they have been forced to do whatever is necessary to achieve that goal.

Eldar currently bring a plethora of powerful tools to the tabletop: potent psykers, the indomitable Wraithknight, blisteringly fast Warp Spiders and, of course, the infamous scatter laser equipped Windrider Jetbikes. The Eldar player has more powerful options available to them than they know what to do with. Ironically though, among all those tools, we tend to see the same units pop up frequently while many mainstay units languish on the shelf.

40kFFEldarJetbikes.jpgWouldn’t it be fun to see more of iconic units such as the Phoenix Lords and their Aspect Warriors? The Avatar of Khaine? Well, I am here to tell you that all of these units have their place on the tabletops of the new Warhammer 40,000.

Phoenix Lords, especially, will benefit from a nice 2+ armour save. They’ve all been re-pointed to make all of the choices appealing, and they are more well-rounded – not only tearing bloody swathes through enemy combatants but also boosting the abilities of friendly warriors nearby. Asurman, specifically, is just fantastic, with the Sword of Asur able to deal mortal wounds and nearby friendly units benefiting from an invulnerable save!

Whether you want to play an Iyanden Ghost list with legions of silent Wraith-constructs (who you will be quite pleased with!) led by Spiritseers wielding potent Runes of Battle psychic powers, or an Alaitoc army of Rangers led by Illic, you can… and they’re good!

40kFFEldarIyanden.jpg

You’ll recognise many of the same elements from your current army as well: high mobility with army-wide special rules such as Battle Focus, and of course the classic powers such as Guide, Doom and Fortune.

You’ll also be happy to see multiple playstyles available to you. From infantry (and you all know I love my “Footdar” army!) to mechanised, to psyker heavy to totally psyker absent. You won’t feel shoehorned into a single build style but can exercise your creativity and field the army you desire.

40kFFEldarStormGuardians.jpg

But as stated earlier, what makes me most excited, as a long time Eldar player, is the new viability of some of the most enduringly beautiful models in the range. Striking Scorpions particularly are just vicious combatants that will strike fear into your opponent and disrupt their battle plans with the Masters of Stealth special rule and their Mandiblasters softening up enemy units at the beginning of the Fight phase by dishing out mortal wounds.

40kFFEldarScorpions.jpg

Howling Banshees get a new lease on life too. These girls are now faster than almost any other Infantry unit in the game, and nearly always get to go first in the Fight phase even if they didn’t charge.

I’d be remiss, though, not to mention the man himself: the Avatar of Khaine. With an ability that means he can even ignore some mortal wounds, he’ll be better protected than ever while filling your army with the fighting spirit of Kaela Mensha Khaine! If any unfortunate soul survives to challenge him directly, I can tell you, there are few models that can deal as much melee damage as the Avatar can with the Wailing Doom, which allows you to pick the highest of two dice rolls when dealing damage. Even Roboute Guilliman must tread cautiously with this adversary. As a bit of a sneak peek, take a look at his iconic weapon – the Wailing Doom to see what we mean:

40kFFEldarWailingDoom.jpg

There’s so much more to say, but for now, we’ve come to the end of today’s article.

I hope all of you are as excited as I am for the future of the Craftworlds in the new Warhammer 40,000.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Kremmet said:

TBF, having a high amount of viable lists doesn't often translate to a high amount of lists seen.

Yeah, certain hidden costs of lists pop up and lead people certain ways.

Like actual model costs.  Having mostly metal models holds back certain armies as the cost is pretty hard to deal with.

Ease of transport.  Lugging around armies that had lots of cheap transports (in game) can be pretty difficult.  Or setting up over a hundred little guys before every game after moving them around. 

Things like that.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, fluger said:

Yeah, certain hidden costs of lists pop up and lead people certain ways.

That's definitely true especially with how popular army boards are now. It's much easier lugging around a light and stable army than it is one with a bunch of fiddly, easily-chipped parts.

It's also important to remember that, while many armies may be viable, a few will likely be less mentally straining which ups their chances to win considerably in sequential formats.

• Like 3