New 40k edition

pretre

3 hours ago, CaptainA said:

Nope, GT that's been planned since the beginning of the year.

I'm surprised people aren't giving themselves more time to assimilate.  After all it IS competitive play so on some level you want less "ah ha, I gotcha!" moments and more steady play.  It'll be interested to see the lists that come out of it.

• Like 1

New Warhammer 40,000 – War Zone: Damocles

Another new bit of Warhammer 40,000 lore from the new edition for you today.

The Damocles Gulf has been a hotly contested region for the century, with the T’au Empire seeking to expand its territory and locking horns with well established, but hard-pressed Imperial forces. The war has been bloody on both sides with the death of a Space Marine Chapter Master answered with the assassination of key Ethereal personnel – there’s a lot of bad blood.

The Imperium, seeking a swift resolution to the conflict in the face of mounting pressures elsewhere, used a pretty drastic solution at the finale of the last campaign – launching world-ending incendiaries into the nebulae of gases across the war zone, effectively setting fire to the entire Damocles Gulf and denying it to both sides!

Problem solved, right?

Wrong.

The Cicatrix Maledictum, the great warp rift that split the galaxy in half, snuffed out the multi-system-spanning firestorm – the war for the Damocles Gulf is back on! With the Imperial defenders pressed hard on every front from Chaos incursions, reemergent Necron dynasties, and ravenous Tyranid hive fleets, the T’au were quick to react to the new opportunity. They launched their Fifth Sphere Expansion to fight back against these terrors of the galaxy, seeking out new worlds and claiming more territory for the Greater Good.

Wait, fifth? What happened to number four?

Yeah, about that. So, the dynamic and ever optimistic T’au might have been a little over-eager to embark on a new expansion.

The Fourth Sphere Expansion fleet set off almost immediately once the fires in the Gulf had subsided, but with the Great Rift still raging through that region of space, all contact with them was soon lost. Were they all killed by some unknown attacker(s)? Did they just lose contact due to interference? Perhaps they entered the Warp – intentionally or not – becoming lost (or worse) in the violent empyrean tides? Maybe they will yet be found, or emerge somewhere unexpected in the galaxy, a lost portion of this optimistic new empire ever intent on conquest…

We’ll have to wait and see.   

Tomorrow, we’ll have more from the new Warhammer 40,000 rules when we look at Stratagems.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Right? I was hoping for another faction overview.

Frankie from the SoCal Open is back, Warhammer Community readers!

40kFFDaemonsBanner.jpg

Today I am here to spread the good word about the various Chaos Gods. Have you accepted our dark lords as your masters?

First, our mighty lord, Khorne. Khorne is not what you’d call a complex deity. His desires are straightforward: blood and skulls! Next you have Tzeentch, the god of knowledge and self-growth…as in growing a few extra limbs and growing knowledge of forbidden lore that will drive you insane by learning it. Slaanesh is the lord of excess, and the followers of She Who Thirsts are all about (over)indulgence. Lastly, you have the happiest of the Chaos Gods, Nurgle. He brings entropy to the universe with a laugh and a smile, sharing his many generous gifts of flesh-melting diseases and fly-blown poxes.

40kFFDaemonsUndivided.jpg

Chaos Daemons are one of the most powerful armies currently in Warhammer 40,000. You’ve got large Screamer units running around with re-rollable 2+ invulnerable saves due to the various bonuses available to them, Daemon Princes flying around the table blasting people with mind bullets, Pink Horrors splitting into Blue into Brimstones. If that weren’t enough, legions of fresh Daemons can currently be summoned onto the tabletop from the Warp at no points cost.

Daemons also currently control the Psychic phase with what feels like millions of Warp charge dice. And I know I am not the only one who loses track of the incredible complexity of the Daemon army. A Daemons player currently rolls on several charts before the game starts to find out what their army does – it feels like you need a flowchart sometimes. 

But what about Daemons in the new Warhammer 40,000? Let’s run through this preview one god at a time, shall we?

Khorne blesses his devotees with an increased ability to reap skulls in his name. These models charge up the table taking skulls for the Skull Throne with Unstoppable Ferocity, which grants them a bonus attack and a point of Strength in combat if they charge or are charged. This turns already formidable melee units into killing machines! Your Bloodthirster will be a king of melee when he charges, as he should be.

40kFFDaemonsKhorne.jpg

Tzeentch grants his minions the ability of Ephemeral Form, giving his Daemons +1 to their invulnerable saves. Wow, that’s good! Lord of Change with that boost will be quite powerful indeed, with a 4+ invulnerable save and SIXTEEN wounds!

Your opponents will come to fear not just the big models though, as even your basic Horrors have the ability to lay low even the mightiest of enemies with their psychic might. You will want to include several units of these in your Tzeentch army to deal with some of the tougher enemy units out there.

Save some Reinforcement Points for Blue Horrors and Brimstone Horrors as well, as these still split out of their parent unit like a series of Russian Dolls and are great for grabbing objectives and keeping enemy units busy long after other units would have been destroyed.

40kFFDaemonsHorrors.jpg

Slaanesh is all about speed, baby. They will almost always swing first in combat, even if they did not charge, due to their Quicksilver Swiftness special rule! This means even relatively fragile units such as Daemonettes can be a threat at all times. They’re one of my favourite units – I own nearly 100 of them at present (I might have a problem) – and I can’t wait to get them on the table.

The good news is that these crab-armed warriors are absolutely lethal, especially if taken in units of twenty or more models. In large units like this, the Graceful Killers special rule grants them a bonus attack with their Piercing Claws (which are resolved at AP-4 when you roll a 6+ to wound!) allowing them to slice through armour in melee.

40kFFDaemonsDaemonettes.jpg

Last, but certainly not least, we’ve got Papa Nurgle and his motley crew. Probably the coolest models in the Nurgle Daemon line are the Nurglings, in my opinion. These little buggers were often taken in the past just to fulfil the Troop requirement, but in the new Warhammer 40,000, they will be taken for their ability to deploy near enemy models and engage them quickly, tying them up or simply getting in their way using their Mischief Makers special rule. That would normally be a very dangerous proposition for a unit of little guys, but the children of Nurgle are Disgustingly Resilient – which means they ignore wounds on a roll of 5 or 6! 

40kFFDaemonsNurglings.jpg

Well, that is all we have on the Daemons faction in the new Warhammer 40,000 for today. I hope you all enjoyed the read and are looking forward to spreading the dominion of the Dark Gods to a tabletop near you!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

It appears even the units that split from the horrors must be accounted for in the army list though so...  I can imagine the points costs of these units wont be high and you'll be able to field a fair number?

Correct.  Just as in AoS, everything must be paid for.  So models summoned, or split from units, must be paid for.

From a guy on DAKKA I thought a good sum-up of the latest race article.

Hmmm. Seems like a virtual port of Chaos Daemons AOS rules. Which is good in my opinion.

GENERAL THOUGHTS:

Sounds like were about to loose our random for the random god rules, good.
Downside we'll probably loose all the wargear options not currently available in the existing model kits.
Which effect Slaanesh and Tzeentch more that the others tow sine they don't usually have melee weapons to proxy in.
So good by ether blades, lash of despair, and other weapon themed gifts and rewards.
Also, free summoning, invulnerable saves stacking to 2++, and flying circuses.

Removing instant death takes us right back to the 4th edition codex where everything was immune to it.
So all of the Chaos Daemon multi-wound models get a boost but especially our elite units.
The Greater Daemons seem to be getting a significant bump in durability, with 15+ wounds and hopefully they are not still T6.
That could make non flying greater more viable.
Although I'd like Daemon Princes to have more wounds, capping the wounds at 10 would allow non-flying Daemon Princes to be viable again.

SLAANESH:

Piercing Claws:

Spoiler:

Slaaneshi daemons got to keep rending attacks at AP-4. I was almost certain that they would be just a flat AP-1, and 2-3 attacks.
If we're lucky they might still have base attacks at AP-1. Probably not but I dream, right?
Not as good as 7th Edition rending since you always get a 6+ save and can potentially improve the save, and it doesn't say they auto wound.
At S3 they only wound T4-5 on a to wound roll of 5+, and T6+ on a 6+.
Good thing they're getting bonus attacks for being taken in large units.
That said I really hope fiends got a strength increase and/or more attack to help the girls crack open vehicles.

Graceful Killers:

Nearly a straight port over from AOS, but now effects units of 20+ rather than effecting units of 10+ of 6+ wound roll; and units of 20+ on a 5+ wound roll. So a bit weaker.

Quicksilver Swiftness:

Oh please let this be the same as AOS.
Where its either "run and charge" in the same turn or "run and charge" with a 2D6 run.
The striking first in combat rule could just be "always strike first" unless the enemy unit has the same rule, like it was in fantasy.
Or more likely its a dice roll to steal the charge, kind of like rolling to seize is now.

Keeper of Secrets:

I'm excited for this one, if they follow AOS then she's moving 12" a turn before advancing.
She going to have at least as many wounds as the LOC so 16 at minimum.
Probably only a 5+ invulnerably save and no armor.
But maybe a -1 to hit modifier within a certain radius due to its disturbing beauty.

Masque:

I guess now that all the other characters are also unable to join units...she's better now?
Or at least your no more penalized that taking any other herald.

Chariots:

With increased wounds and a single toughness value for the model these might actually do something in combat for the first time since the 4th edition!
Sadly, since AP-4 rending still exists the 40K version probably wont be causing mortal wounds when its charges.

KHORNE:

So Khornate daemons receive +1 attack and +1 Strength in combat if they charge or are charged.
Probably applies to all Khorne daemons, and possibly is the new mark of Khorne as well.

Bloodthirster:

I'm calling it now the BT will be hitting and wounding on a 2+, and doing D3, D6 or a flat 6 depending on the weapon.
If a Lord of Change the least durable of the Greater Daemons has 16 wounds, the BT will have 18+, and a 2-3+ armor save.

TZEENTCH:

Tzeentchian Daemons: +1 to their invulnerable saves.
Possilbly also the new mark of Tzeentch as well, given Rubics were revealed to have a 5+ invulnerable save.

Lord of Change:

4+ invulnerable save and 16 wounds.
So two more wounds than the new Tzeentch Battle-tome version.

Horrors:

They're still Psykers.
They also are able to deal with some of the tougher enemy units.

Blue Horrors and Brimstone Horrors:

Require that you save some Reinforcement Points to split out of their parent unit.
So no more free models.
Seems fair but I rarely used summoning anyway.

NURGLE:

If they port over the -2 to hit in the shooting phase, and the -1 to hit in the combat phase for 20+ model units Plague bearers will be quite scary.
Especially if they port over some of the mortal wound causing disease abilities.
Or at least cause D3 or D6 damage.

Great Unclean One:

Since Glottkin in AOS has 18 wounds, and they say in the article the LOC has 16.
The GUO could easily 20+ wounds and T8.

Disgustingly Resilient:

Nurgle Daemons ignore wounds on a roll of 5+.
Another straight port over from AOS and essentially FNP.
Yeah, so there your new mark of Nurgle

Mischief Makers:

Allows Nurglings to deploy near enemy models and engage them quickly.
Sounds like a scout move.

Posted 14/05/2017

New Warhammer 40,000: Stratagems

Stratagems are a key part of the new Warhammer 40,000 game.

These represent your army’s commanders marshalling their forces and vital orders coming down from high command (that’s you!).

Any army that is Battle-forged can use Stratagems, and as we’ve established already, it’s very easy to make a Battle-forged army. If your army is Battle-forged by the current rules of Warhammer 40,000, it still can be in the new edition.

Battle-forged armies earn Command Points based on how efficient they are likely to be at the logistics of war. Armies with a balanced mix of unit types and plenty of troops will tend to have more to play with, and every army that is Battle-forged gets 3 Command Points to start with. Some units are such capable and experienced commanders that they give you additional Command Points just by including them. Bjorn the Fell-Handed, for example, the oldest living(ish) loyalist Space Marine, gets you an extra one just for showing up!

As the game plays on, you can use these Command Points to activate a variety of Stratagems. Many of these will be specific to certain missions or factions, but there are three that every army can use:

New40kStratagemsTable.jpg

As you can see, these abilities are nothing to scoff at. That Tactical Re-roll can be used to ensure a critical high-damage attack wounds a key enemy unit. But at the same time, your opponent could just as easily use theirs to re-roll that critical armour save. Or maybe you want to keep ahold of them to make sure you make that vital charge next turn?

Are you expecting to lose half of your biggest Ork squad to a punishing Morale test after taking heavy casualties in the Shooting phase? Not anymore! Auto-pass for 2 CPs.

The Counter-offensive is pretty huge too, with the ability to interrupt your opponent’s battlefield-wide charge to strike ahead of some of their units. It works best, of course, if your units are tough in a fight and at least one of the enemy units is going first, but used correctly, this can swing a game.

In narrative and open play, most missions will include a few extra stratagems too, representing things like preliminary bombardments, proximity mines and silenced weapons.

In matched play, these Stratagems have the additional restriction that the same Stratagem cannot be used by the same player more than once during any single phase. So, if you use that Command Re-roll to pass an armour save in the Fight phase, you can’t then use that same Stratagem to re-roll a hit later in the phase.

So there you go: Stratagems.

We’ll be back tomorrow with news from the Indomitus Crusade.

• Like 4

I'm digging the fact that it says all current battle forged will continue to be so. Tells me one of those generic detachments might just be an hq... but either way a heavy support one has to be in there but as it would not be as balanced it will generate less command points... hopefully it just relies on them less for balance but seems really good there...

My mind is whirling with the possibilities... hoard nothing but troops with 15+models gets lots of command points to ignore battle shock tests... oh boy the possibilities. 16 if I remember right,  16 different generic open to everyone detachments... I want to see them all!

• Like 2