New 40k edition

pretre

17/05/2017

New Warhammer 40,000: Tactical Reserves

In the new Warhammer 40,000, as today, keeping some units in reserve is still a very important and potentially powerful tactical tool.

There are some pretty fundamental changes to how they work though. For a start, not every unit can be placed in reserve, so most of your army will usually deploy on the battlefield at the start of the game. This means that they will be contributing to the battle from turn one, but will also be a target for the enemy – so you’ll have to work out how to best utilise those early turns.

Quite a few units still have the option to join the game mid-battle though, and they use a variety of mystical or technological means to do so. While there are no longer universal special rules like Deep Strike or Outflank, many of these abilities will have common themes – so you can still expect units like Terminators to teleport down, Genestealer Cults units to ambush and Ork Kommandos to use their kunnin’ to sneak up on the foe.

As an example, let’s take a look at the special rule for a Trygon, a unit famed for its unusual method of deployment, tunneling up under the enemy army:

New40kReservesSubterrain.jpg

So we can see that this will be quite a powerful ability. Not only delivering the Trygon into the heart of the enemy force, but also an accompanying unit of Tyranids. And there’s nothing stopping them from charging this turn either! Though that 9″ distance to the enemy (which is common to a lot of units with similar abilities) will mean that the averages on the dice will be against you for that 2D6 charge distance. (You can always use your Command Re-roll of course…)

In matched play, there are a few additional restrictions to deployment methods like this, which you might imagine, can get very powerful very fast when used by multiple units across a single army. Matched play games use a special mission rule called Tactical Reserves.

New40kReservesRule.jpg

This rule helps limit some of the more extreme cases of withholding reserves in competitive games. So, while it’s totally possible to have an all Deathwing Terminator army, for example, you can’t use the teleport rules on all of them in matched play. (Though we do think a narrative game where the entire Deathwing teleports in on the first turn to take a Chaos bastion would be pretty awesome.)

Lots to think about there.

We’ll be back tomorrow with a bit more news on vehicles in the new Warhammer 40,000.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, fluger said:

Wyches still seem a bit meh.  Sure I get you get a chance to hold things in melee, but the issue was always getting TO melee.  If the transports are faster, that's nice (also note that vehicles get engaged in melee...), but I have fears.  

We shall see. Although, I seem to be the only DE player in the world who really likes wyches even now. Warriors are so redundant that I see no point in ever taking them. Wyches at least offer you something that the army doesn't have in droves.

I was really hoping they'd reveal something about the webway portal. Taking away that unique and fun mechanic and replacing it with a locator beacon was the biggest crime GW ever committed against the DE.

• Like 1

Greetings soldier,

Today we take another look at your trusty lasgun.

Some of you may have heard tell of the report of brave Trooper Perkins, whose lone, well-aimed lasgun shot took down a rampaging enemy Helbrute.*

Yes, it is of course completely possible to take down any foe with the mighty lasgun: king of weapons.

The lasgun is a feared and deadly firearm, and the envy of non-Imperial infantry across the galaxy. While not strictly advisable to use in an anti-armour role, in the likely event that the disciplined fire of your platoon has already accounted for all enemy infantry forces within range, you will be authorised to open fire on enemy vehicle assets.

In this example, we consider the Ork Stompa – as detestable a conglomeration of heretical alien technology as you are ever likely to face. Consider its weak points – visible missiles, open ammunition caches, poorly armoured fire ports – all easy targets for a disciplined marksman to exploit. Calmly hold your ground, choose your target, and cripple the brute with a well-placed shot. Repeat this process until the foe is no longer a threat.**

BringItDownTarget

Note that, while a single lasgun is, of course, capable of taking down such a brute, it is still not advisable to take one on alone. We would recommend you secure some support before attempting to face a foe of this class.***

There you have it, Guardsmen. We hope we have redoubled your faith in your blessed lasgun.

Thought for the day:
‘Do not ask how you may give your life for the Emperor. Ask instead how you may give your death.’

* Actual post-battle analysis now reveals the likely cause of the Helbrute’s death was the volley of meltagun shots from the Catachan Veteran Squad concealed nearby, and in fact, Perkins not only missed his one shot, he was immolated in the ensuing explosion as the Helbrute’s reactor blew. Still, what a hero.
** Note: The estimated number of lasgun shots required to destroy the example enemy war machine is several orders of magnitude higher than the number of charges supplied in a single lasgun. Additional ammunition, and/or lasguns, may be required.
*** Such as a battalion of several thousand Guardsmen, some heavy weapons support, an artillery barrage and an orbital bombardment.

• Like 2

:rolleyes:

Is anyone else tired of the "lasgun: king of the battlefield" gag?

We get it, it's the worst mainline gun in the game, and the Imperium loves to use propaganda. Hilarious. 

There is literally an entire book based on this joke (the guardsman's field manual or whatever). 

"Hey 40k enthusiasts! Thanks for staying with us while we preview the new edition every day. Boy have we got a doosy for you today! You know that joke we've been publishing for 15 years? While many things are changing about the new edition, you'll be thrilled to hear that this joke isn't among them! That's right folks, we're still committed to speaking ironically about lasguns!"

Lasguns: reaching for "git er done" levels of hilarity.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Swan-of-War said:

Whoa there tiger

Don't worry. I'm not mad, just disappointed. Can you imagine being the writer assigned to that article? Somebody had to have lost a bet or slept through their alarm clock and that was their punishment. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Munkie said:

Somebody had to have lost a bet or slept through their alarm clock and that was their punishment. 

Having to write the fluffy humor piece instead of an obvious advert (for once) in GW land? If I were there, I'd jump at that punishment every time. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Munkie said:

:rolleyes:

Is anyone else tired of the "lasgun: king of the battlefield" gag?

In this case, I'm pretty sure it was specifically a response to half the 40K internets flipping out over the whole "A lasgun can hurt a Land Raider in 8th" thing, which is why I thought it worth getting dropped into this thread.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, WestRider said:

In this case, I'm pretty sure it specifically a response to half the 40K internets flipping out over the whole "A lasgun can hurt a Land Raider in 8th" thing, which is why I thought it worth getting dropped into this thread.

That could be the case, and I hope so, because I do enjoy when they take digs at the angsty community. 

However, just as likely, they already had their quarterly lasguns are "great" article in the works and they opportunistically rushed it out :tongue: