New 40k edition

pretre

4 minutes ago, Munkie said:

Rumored Dark Eldar stratagem: Steal Cake.

Really looking forward to what effect this has...

I believe they are allowed to steal cake from anyone at the table who brought any.  So birthdays and Bar Mitzvah's and the like where a lot of people play 40K, it'll really be useful.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, JMGraham said:

Holy swear word, Batman. I really want to play this game.

That no-restrictions on charging from Deep Strike, but you need to be 9" away thing is a little piece of genius. It also meshes nicely with the fact that units can disengage from combat. The assault armies can still strike from the skies with a precision hammer-blow, but they might not make it in, and even if they do they're not locked in the "safety" of close combat. The enemy can just walk away and gun them down with other units. Everyone gets cake? EVERYONE gets to eat it??!?!?! Absurd!

Been playing the fantasy version for almost two years,it's great!!

Looking forward to some grimdark play now?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Nurgle corrupted the Mk9 geneseed. Not all Primaris Production had been done in Mars. Outsourced production plants fell to Chaos during the destruction of...wait, does WFB take place on Cadia? Anyway, with the boom of chaos herpes, the galaxy is on fire.

It's just MkIX/MkX Armour, not geneseed.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fluger said:

I suspect that if the game is more balanced we'll see more armies and more variety in them.  Would love to see assault marine heavy forces, and predator only space marine forces.

As those who attend the Elvensword Ambassadorial tournaments know, i am a big fan of list variety.  =)

• Like 1

Im wondering now if it goes to a set 5 rounds for the matched play..

The the existing variable turns could be interesting as well.

The thing is,with the game being more like AoS now,its going to be all about the Alpha strike.Either administering one or building a list to take one and hold out for the grind down.The best thing about this system,I think is that Horde armies can really take punishment and can usually take on even the nastiest of alpha strikes,yet they could have issues with a more mixed style list,,that the alpha builds usually destroy.Plus low model count elite armies can be nasty but can really struggle vs hordes.

Another thing im hoping for is a solid mix of competative scenarios,,the 6 matched play ones in the GH go a long ways toward overall game balance,making it very difficult to build an all comers list that can do well in all 6 scenarios.It would be nice too if 40k used the tactical objective system ,,but Its not looking good for that making the transition right now.

• Like 3

New Warhammer 40,000: Close Combat Weapons

40k-header.jpg

Let’s take a look at some close combat weapons, shall we?

We’ve seen already that shooting weapons in the new Warhammer 40,000 use a Strength, AP, Damage system, and melee kit is much the same. The main differences being that there is no range on them, and a lot of them will use the user’s Strength as their basis.

Let’s look at some examples – we’ll start with the classic power weapon lineup.

New40kCCWPowerWeapons.jpg

In the current edition of Warhammer 40,000, the axe is the go-to weapon for a lot of folks. Players gladly took the unwieldy rule in exchange for AP2 and a bonus to Strength. Now, the obvious choice is far from obvious, as they clearly all have their uses. That sword, for example, is looking pretty deadly against most things, with the AP-3 helping it against every type of foe. Even with no bonus to Strength, using the new wounding chart shows that a Strength 4 Space Marine is wounding everything up to Toughness 7 on 5s (which is good,  because a lot of our models have swords).

Even the humble chainsword gets a boost. No longer just a standard combat weapon, the iconic combat weapon wielded by the Adeptus Astartes and many other forces, now gives its bearer more attacks in combat. Perfect for grinding through hordes of low armoured troops, the chainsword now functions on the battlefield how it always has in your head. This change also helps differentiate dedicated combat troops from those just wielding improvised or side-arm weapons.

New40kCCWChainsword.jpg

We can see that all of the above still only do 1 Damage, meaning that while they can chip wounds off bigger stuff, they are primarily infantry killers.

What about some anti-armour stuff though? Check out the power fist:

New40kCCWPowerfist.jpg

At the cost of being more cumbersome to swing, it’s dishing out multiple damage with every hit, and at a Strength that will find it easy to wound anything in the game.

Another high damage option is Force weapons. Take a Grey Knight squad of any sort: every guy in there has a blade that, as well as having all the benefits of the equivalent Power weapon, also dishes out D3 damage on every wound! Those guys are going to be phenomenal up-close killers, as they should be.

New40kCCWNemesis.jpgD3 Damage is good, but if you really want to kill something, try the reaper chainsword. This deals a flat 6 Damage to whatever it wounds. That’s enough to carve a Chaos Lord in half, and a couple of hits will wreck most small and medium vehicles in a single Fight phase.

New40kCCWReaper.jpg

Make no mistake, when facing a dedicated melee unit, stuff is going to die in combat really, really fast.

• Like 3

Bonesword likely -3 rend and d3 damage on a 6.

Biggest news is Trygon may be a Lord of War choice.

MULTIPLE D6 DAMAGE ATTACKS FROM A TRYGON!

And it looks like they get at least 4 attacks from the "destroy a knight in a single lucky round of combat."

Another important development is the Super Heavy Detachment, which has the restriction of units from the same faction. So, we've seen 4 (?) of the 14 detachments, so I'm willing to bet there are specific FOCs that restrict to faction and give a hefty command point bonus, which will give you plenty of benefit from your faction specific stratagems.

I know not everyone is into this, but I am happy with 8th as it stands and I have enough armies to enjoy competitive play EVEN if I can't bring the exact Tyranid fluff force that I want to a tournament.

There's something here for everyone, and it is certainly different enough from AoS for me.

• Like 4

I love how they're dropping in little bits about things that they haven't covered yet in these, helping us get a better picture faster.

1 hour ago, pretre said:

Darn, I might have to swap out some of my creative CCW for Chainswords. In the past, I used whatever because it didn't matter.

I'm pretty sure in a lot of cases it won't matter, because the Datasheet won't give them an option for anything other than Chainsword, so it can be a reasonable Counts-As. I hope so, at least, since most of my SW are armed with Axes of some sort.

• Like 1

Just now, phyfor88 said:

Ughh Knights are still amazing. I see do not see this as good. Again I will have to ask what are you playing? Then say never mind. Orks have no shooting to hurt them. Just when the news was looking good, At least the rules are free.

You can't look at this in a vacuum. Orks will have tons of options to hurt knights, Their vehicles will have deadly close combat vehicles, the stompa will have similar stats, the morka/gorkanauts are look very tasty and remember that everything can be hurt on a 6. With how damaging things are in this edition, it will be fine. Tons of people are continually looking at what is now for their armies but you just can't because EVERYTHING is being redone and changed. It is looking more and more that most forces will have completely viable forces in this edition. You can't make too many assumptions based on what you have now.

• Like 7