New 40k edition

pretre

11 minutes ago, generalripphook said:

Wait how can you have a Primaris ancient if they just got created......

Ancient appears to be a 16th century derivation of the rank of Ensign, alternatively used for either a standard bearer or the standard itself.

Also, it seems that the Space Marine Big'uns can be made from existing Marines. Odd, but might explain their acceptance by unorthodox chapters a bit better.

• Like 2

Sorry if this has been answered, but I’ve just recently had my interests piqued by the new edition, and I’m in the process of slowing shifting through 46 pages of forum posts, heh.

Has there been any indication as to what the rulebook has to offer over the free rules that are coming out, aside from fluff / art / hardbacked goodness? I will most likely pick it up, but I’m kinda weighting the pros and cons of getting the new starter set vs picking up an Index + Start Collecting box + $50 worth of minis.

Based on what has been released, I think Kerrigan is right: the free rules will get you playing games using the power point system. If you want "matched play" (points), you are going to need the BRB. Additionally, it looks like the BRB will also include rules for Cities of Death and Stronghold Assault. This leads me to believe that we will also see Planetstrike and Death in the Skies rules in the BRB as well.

• Like 2

...or maybe they just include Cities of Death, Terrain rules, Stronghold assault stuff and other extraneous but important information but all the "how to play" rules are free for normal matched play and otherwise.

I dont think they would exclude matched play from the free rules.  Thats just my take on it.

42 minutes ago, Sugarlessllama said:

Based on what has been released, I think Kerrigan is right: the free rules will get you playing games using the power point system. If you want "matched play" (points), you are going to need the BRB. Additionally, it looks like the BRB will also include rules for Cities of Death and Stronghold Assault. This leads me to believe that we will also see Planetstrike and Death in the Skies rules in the BRB as well.

Isn't that what the Index are for, to supply you with the points? You'll have to forgive me, as I didn't get into AoS, but I thought the core rules were the same, and the General's Handbook simply introduced points for everything, isn't that what we're looking at with the rules vs the Indices? Or am I way off here?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Sorry if this has been answered, but I’ve just recently had my interests piqued by the new edition, and I’m in the process of slowing shifting through 46 pages of forum posts, heh.

Has there been any indication as to what the rulebook has to offer over the free rules that are coming out, aside from fluff / art / hardbacked goodness? I will most likely pick it up, but I’m kinda weighting the pros and cons of getting the new starter set vs picking up an Index + Start Collecting box + $50 worth of minis.

So far other than mentioning free rules, there hasn't been a lot of detail about them ....

Just now, andozane said:

So far other than mentioning free rules, there hasn't been a lot of detail about them ....

Fair enough, as said I've only been poking through this thread recently, and there's a lot of info to sort through...

I'm sure I'll end up picking the starter set up, since I like print rule books with fluff and awesome art, and I think the models are pretty great. Looking forward to cracking open some beers and stumbling through a game! :cool:

53 minutes ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Isn't that what the Index are for, to supply you with the points? You'll have to forgive me, as I didn't get into AoS, but I thought the core rules were the same, and the General's Handbook simply introduced points for everything, isn't that what we're looking at with the rules vs the Indices? Or am I way off here?

The General's Handbook had points, but it didn't have unit profiles. Maybe the faction books will have both. I don't know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrewgeddon said:

The Rule book will have fluff (story), core rules for the game, rules for matched play, narrative play, Detachment rules,  missions, etc. The Indexes will have all of the datasheets for the units of each army, broken up into 5 books. Later on we will get codexes that will have faction bonuses, other detachments, and may or may not have updated datasheets.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

If AOS didn't follow the same pattern, I'd agree.

Couldnt it be true that they were both in making for several years?..I mean they have said in the past that many new products spend a year or more in developement.

They knew that Fantasy needed the redo first with the dwindling interest over the last several years and im sure they could see how the 40k ruleset was getting overbloated with suppliments,ammendments and such.I mean to me it seemed since 7th dropped,it was getting so bad that it almost appeared that they were priming the playerbase to the point that people were practically begging to have it simplified,master plan perhaps?

I mean when AoS dropped many,many fans of both games were getting utterly shut down when mentioning the possibility that a similar system would work well for 40k,,GW knew the hate was there for this new system so perhaps they felt the need to make the current edition of the game "unsavory" in order to subdue any potential outcry with this new (very similar to AoS) system.This all assuming that nu40k was well under testing at that time of course

I think AoS would've been received better if 8th ed wasn't capped off with a blatant money grab, then deleted everything everyone cared about for 30 years so they could reboot with more IP defense built in, and then released AoS as a half complete, "this game ONLY functions as a fun with friends" type of game.

The problem was never with AoS so much as how poorly executed it was. It was tasteless to the point that it came across as spite to many fantasy enthusiasts. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pretre said:

kfsky.jpg

Don't get me wrong, they've completely done a 180 from how cluelessly they stumbled through AoS. That was them admitting loudly and enthusiastically that they have no idea what they're doing on really any level. 

Then they realized that bad business is actually bad (surprise) and have endeavored since to be good at stuff. 

-transparency. Check.

-listening to people. Check

-rebooting rules without being douchey for the sake of being douchey. Check.

I'm down. 

So I get it.  As a self-proclaimed fanboi it's annoying to deal with the fall out of their blatant [big bad swear word]-ups. But I don't know that eye-roll memes really contribute much. Pretending they don't make mistakes does nothing for anyone. Acknowledging that they've made absolutely embarrassing mistakes but have learned from them is a far more valuable lesson.

"Yeah, but..." is more meaningful than "nuh-uh!"

• Like 3