New 40k edition

pretre

Let’s talk Primaris Space Marines.|

By now, unless you’ve been hiding under a rock on the far side on Luna, you’ve probably seen the awesome contents of the upcoming Dark Imperium box.

New40kDarkImpPrimaris.jpg

We’ve already seen the stats for the Intercessors, but they are just one of the new units. Today we take a look at a couple more.

Let’s start with the leader, the Captain in Gravis armour.

Space Marine Captains should be amongst the most feared warriors in the galaxy, but a lot of the time today, they are looked down on compared to other characters that can bring more utility to an army.

Not anymore!

New40kPrimarisCaptain.jpg

Every Space Marines army is going to want one of these guys at its head. Like all the Space Marines’ greatest commanders, he’s great at combat in all forms, hitting up close and at range on a 2+. That Gravis armour brings some benefits too. While lacking some of the impenetrable defence against small arms fire that Terminator armour brings, it makes up for that with an increased Toughness, meaning even heavy weaponry will struggle to bring him down easily. He has 6 Wounds, which is pretty solid too, though Characters generally have more Wounds in the new Warhammer 40,000 – even a lascannon will be lucky to kill him in a single shot.

WarComm-Cover-DarkImperium-1600x800.jpg

Maybe the main reason you bring this guy though is for the re-roll to hit he provides to those nearby. This ability is awesome on things like Tactical and Intercessor Squads, even better on Devastator Squads, and on plasma-toting Hellblasters? Well, we’ll just let you work that one out….

Next up, the Inceptor Squad, These guys are the Primaris Space Marines’ answer to a lot of things: they combine the speed of Assault Squads, the durability of units like Bikes and the ability to drop in from space mid-battle, AND they pack a fair combat punch as they make a charge. Oh, and those guns are basically hand held heavy bolters (albeit, with a much reduced range). We expect to see these guys in a lot of Space Marines armies very soon.

New40kPrimarisInceptor.jpg

That’s just two of the new units in the Dark Imperium box.

We’re off to Warhammer Fest this weekend, so stay tuned for all the latest news about the new Warhammer 40,000 coming from the Richo Arena in Coventry.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Munkie said:

They were tame compared to GK and  necrons, if that's any consolation. 

They specifically [big bad swear word]ed Orks because Orks' lack of ap3 and ap2 meant that BA were saving twice as many wounds as other marines.  They also usually had lots of assault squads which work better than tactical for clearing mobz.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, pretre said:

Maybe the main reason you bring this guy though is for the re-roll to hit he provides to those nearby. This ability is awesome on things like Tactical and Intercessor Squads, even better on Devastator Squads, and on plasma-toting Hellblasters? Well, we’ll just let you work that one out…. 

I don't know if it's just me but 8th reads like it's gonna be pretty 'killy' from the instant you start rolling dice.

Shiz is gonna get real like Right Now.

Makes me happy :)

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Psilence said:

I don't know if it's just me but 8th reads like it's gonna be pretty 'killy' from the instant you start rolling dice.

Shiz is gonna get real like Right Now.

Makes me happy :)

That's what I have been seeing too. Early assaults, high damage, etc. This will be a great edition for a tool for every job and not like past editions where it was a single tool for all jobs

• Like 2

So sick of 7th! Had to play a game last night (league runner and we were odd on people) Had just a silly CAD of Necrons vs an Iron Warriors Bikestar with Smashfluger (teehee) and Librarium Conclave and Grav/Melta bikes. So silly. I spent most of the game running back and forth trying to score objectives and not die. Perfect example of formation power over CAD. Die 7th! Die! If I never play another 7th game it will be too soon.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, CaptainA said:

So sick of 7th! Had to play a game last night (league runner and we were odd on people) Had just a silly CAD of Necrons vs an Iron Warriors Bikestar with Smashfluger (teehee) and Librarium Conclave and Grav/Melta bikes. So silly. I spent most of the game running back and forth trying to score objectives and not die. Perfect example of formation power over CAD. Die 7th! Die! If I never play another 7th game it will be too soon.

Yeah I'm really torn. The idea of going back to 7th for the OFCC after 8th will have been out for 2 months is less and less appealing by the day. 

I wish the OFCC was 8th ed. We'd probably make it past turn 4!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Munkie said:

Yeah I'm really torn. The idea of going back to 7th for the OFCC after 8th will have been out for 2 months is less and less appealing by the day. 

I wish the OFCC was 8th ed. We'd probably make it past turn 4!

Well, a few things.

One, it's really a month and a half, isn't it?

Two, it's not fair to teams to ask them to build and paint an army for OFCC in 2 months, or 90 days, or whatever the time frame is.

Three, there's a friday 8th edition event specifically for people to enjoy the new system.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Brother Glacius said:

So here is a question, Captain dude has multiple attacks and two different melee weapons. Can he split attacks as he likes between them? Are they evenly split? Does he have to choose one as a primary? How does AoS handle that?

It states that he is armed with a sword and the gauntlet..if it's like in aos,then he gets to use both in the combat phase...rem though all attacks have to be designated before starting resolutions.

21 minutes ago, pretre said:

Well, a few things.

Two, it's not fair to teams to ask them to build and paint an army for OFCC in 2 months, or 90 days, or whatever the time frame is.

Three, there's a friday 8th edition event specifically for people to enjoy the new system.

It's perfectly reasonable that it's still 7th. Just kind of frustrating. Reality and logistics and things like that suck :P

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Threejacks said:

It states that he is armed with a sword and the gauntlet..if it's like in aos,then he gets to use both in the combat phase...rem though all attacks have to be designated before starting resolutions.

O. O *whistles softly*

So then Slugga Boys which will have a pistol and a Choppa might get to use both... 

1 hour ago, CaptainA said:

Smashfluger (teehee) 

51aQafZqujL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

"The Fluger was five meters long, had four thick legs, a body of impenetrable molecular density and numerous teeth capable of chewing diamonds into powder. It was four hundred massive kilos of violence, savagery and hatred.

When the Fluger arrived as unlisted cargo in the enclosed city of Olympus, it launched itself on a murderous rampage which couldn't be halted. It presented that terrified utopian community with the problem of how to stop an irresistible force. The only answer seemed to be a hired alien assassin - an outer-space humanoid about whom the citizens of Olympus knew next to nothing except that he was a professional killer who would not quit until his job was done.

But when the irresistible force met the immovable object they turned that fragile city in the sky into a raging battlefield, and their 'savior' looked to become as much of a menace as his monster counterpart."

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, pretre said:

Well, a few things.

1. 8 weeks exactly from the pre-order release. You be the judge!

2. I'm in no way suggesting they change it, just wishful thinking. 

3. There is?? Is there info on that anywhere? It's not in the "what to expect" thread. Color me intrigued!

• Like 1