New 40k edition

pretre

3 hours ago, Munkie said:

Disintegrater cannons are great now with S5 being better, and damage 2 to boot! Ravagers must end up taking these more often and leave darklight to other units. 

The Talos seems better but the drop to T6 was a kick to the nuts. A lot shootier than before.

The flipside of the same Wound Table that makes the S5 Disintegrators better makes the drop to T6 less painful, too. T6 and T7 are now the same vs S1-2, 4-5, and 8+. Yeah, there are some pretty significant gaps in there (especially the S6-7), but that's still quite a lot of stuff where it won't actually make a difference. You no longer have that break point where T7 made you immune to anything S3 or below.

So going full on MSU DE I can fit a brigade detachment, and a supreme command detachment, and an outrider detachment at 2000 points. 14 command points sounds good. That's 7 out of turn attacks with units to help mitigate the downside of alternating combat with MSU.

*edit* Oops I meant brigade detachment. So:

7 HQs, 6 troops, 3 elites, 6 fast attack, 3 heavy support, and 3 dedicated transports.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Threejacks said:

As per the leaked info on Spiky bits,,,a unit will likely not be able to use another units model count as its leadership.I know its not rock solid clear being GW and all.But being a permissive ruleset,its allowing a unit to use its model count as its leadership,,were is when referring to another unit 6" away,it states it can use its "leadership Characteristic" that would strongly imply what is printed on its dataslate.Which is still nice if a Warboss or named leader is nearby:)

Well that is the kicker, it seems to state that the unit can use its size as its leadership "characteristic". So if it is setting a unit's leadership characteristic to its size, and another unit can use the leadership characteristic, that says to me that the unit of 10 tank bustas gets to use the 30 LD of the slugga mob that is within 6" of it.

10 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

Well that is the kicker, it seems to state that the unit can use its size as its leadership "characteristic". So if it is setting a unit's leadership characteristic to its size, and another unit can use the leadership characteristic, that says to me that the unit of 10 tank bustas gets to use the 30 LD of the slugga mob that is within 6" of it.

To me the unit can use size as characteristic but it doesn't actually change the characteristic. This means unless the big unit is needing to check leadership the characteristic is printed.

Ie small squad checks to see the best leadership it has it is 6 LD but 8 strong so it goes hunting else where. Big squad has a Nob so LD 7, if it tries to substitute size the mobs size is 8. The rule to allow the Nob to change its leadership would not happen cuz he isn't testing; can't count his squad. You would count the size of the squad testing. That was how I read it, silly chains. 

Goes off to wait for exact wording, hinges on when the squad size LD happens... anytime vs when testing...

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Sugarlessllama said:

Well, we don't know if the box set is going to be limited or not. The local GW guy did point out that the box set is NOT the new starter. According to GW it is the "ultimate 8th edition box set". The difference I can think of would be if they made it limited like the box set for Shadow War. 

Hardback book included vs a later offering with softback or no book as the rules will be online?

7 minutes ago, VonVilkee said:

To me the unit can use size as characteristic but it doesn't actually change the characteristic. This means unless the big unit is needing to check leadership the characteristic is printed.

Ie small squad checks to see the best leadership it has it is 6 LD but 8 strong so it goes hunting else where. Big squad has a Nob so LD 7, if it tries to substitute size the mobs size is 8. The rule to allow the Nob to change its leadership would not happen cuz he isn't testing; can't count his squad. You would count the size of the squad testing. That was how I read it, silly chains. 

Goes off to wait for exact wording, hinges on when the squad size LD happens... anytime vs when testing...

Based on the wording I have seen, it does not mention any limitation of when you can do it. it was simply, you can use your size as your characteristic, and you can use the characteristic of nearby units. It will probably be in the first FAQ. :)

14 hours ago, Threejacks said:

Love it!

You will rip faces off with that list and the new ruleset..excellent board control,,early threats,great shooting,and hordes of troops to easily pile onto objectives.

/doublethumbsup

Mostly, I just love hordes and I want it to work.  My aesthetic didn't work in 7th, hopefully in 8th it will.

• Like 1

IG Horde!  

Battllion Detachment

Company Commander
Company Commander
Company Commander
Infantry Squad with Lascannon, Flamer, and Power Axe
5 Ogryns with Ripper Guns
Leman Russ with Executioner Plasma, 2 Multimeltas, Lascannon
Leman Russ with Executioner Plasma, 2 Multimeltas, Lascannon
Wyvern with Heavy Flamer
Wyvern with Heavy Flamer
Basilisk with Heavy Flamer
Basilisk with Heavy Flamer
5 Ratlings

Battllion Detachment

Tank Commander with Vanquisher with Heavy Bolter
Company Commander
20 Conscripts

1997 points again.

100 infantry bodies and some serious tank firepower.  As well as OGRYNS AND RATLINGS!

• Like 5

10 hours ago, andy said:

I wasn't taking the pre-order thing seriously. Are we expecting supplies to be constrained?

I think the two week preorder period is actually to avoid that. Based on the SW:A Rulebook, that seems to be the time necessary for them to get a reasonable estimate and get their order from their printer for the Index books.

1 hour ago, fluger said:

It's a new record!  Rules debates before the rules are officially out!

It's happened before. When the Ork Dex dropped at the end of 4th, there was a multi-page document full of stuff needing a FAQ at about the same point before release.