New 40k edition

pretre

48 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

I'm so glad you guys are trying to ruin the new 40K before its even out. That is just commitment there.

I know right?!

42 minutes ago, Dusldorf said:

Just fyi, this has happened with literally every edition

We all know that the haters got to hate; especially on the internet. But that doesn't mean it doesn't get old every single time.

I know for me personally, I have been super excited for a lot of the changes. And it has been exhausting to see a number of people just wallowing in their seas of sadness, in a weird attempt to be a wet blanket. I don't get it, and frankly, I'm over it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugarlessllama said:

We all know that the haters got to hate; especially on the internet.

I don't think spagunk is hating so much as griping.  8th edition dawned bright and beautiful for most of us (Horde Orks are a legit threat!  HUZZAH!) but I'm hearing plenty of BA players and basic SM players saying they lack a certain je ne sais quoi.  Its early yet, but, again, if we want change, we have to advocate for change.  You think BA aren't up to snuff, great, tell GW.  You think BA are fine and dandy, great, tell GW.  

And, finally, what do you expect from the internet?  I hear plenty of IRL griping and moaning at stores and gaming events.  This isn't located strictly on the web.  Besides, most people (who aren't post count hoarders...) only post when they feel strongly about something.  For better or worse, the human mind tends to focus on negative thoughts mostly and therefore those tend to be the strongest and most likely to be expressed, especially in a safer setting like a web board devoted to a hobby.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Sugarlessllama said:

This. So much this.

Personally, I have found competitive 40K players to be kind of lazy. And what I mean by that, is that they lean too much on their army rules being out of balance rather than on their skill as a player. When the top tables are all, "the meta" as can be found on a netlist, I don't consider than excellent play on their part.

So, that's my two cents. 

That is a drum i have been beating for some time now so i am glad to hear someone besides me express it.  I dedicated my blog to the idea, I have attempted to represent that ideal in my own gamer world and I agree whole heartedly.

Tactics is a thing.  Timing is a thing.  Strategy and deployment are things.  Creative planning with terrain is a thing.  Objective placement, a thing.  sacrifice is a thing.  Finding the chink in the armor is a thing.  Exploiting it is a thing.  Overcoming bad dice is a thing and making sure you dont rely on dice to the extent possible in your planning is a thing.

...and then there's list building, which is the means to the end, but which is treated like the end by so many.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Lord Hanaur said:

did you laminate them or...  just print them?  Or do you mean kind of like just a list?

I screen capped the warscrolls, pulled them into photoshop and cropped them to include just the title, stat line and rules text.  I resized them so that I could fit 4 such scrolls on an 8.5 x 11 sheet in landscape.  I double side printed to fit 8 units on a sheet, then put the sheets in a binder slip, then put the slips in a report binder.  I organized the units by my usage to minimize flipping around

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottshoemaker said:

Folks, don't forget that these books are grey lists.  Meant to get you by until the app is created or whatever.

Yup. This is the best reason to get them in digital format imo. Faster updates, and less sunk cost when the actual codexes release.

• Like 2

Just got a second Game in. Dude. That felt so good to put a (more or less) classic walking Nid List down and actually get a Game rather than just getting shot off the board before hitting the midline. I mean, yes, it was against DeathWing, so that probably wouldn't have happened even in 7th, but still. Great Game, some good back and forth, but the Deathwing just didn't quite have the numbers and weight of fire/attacks to fend off the chitinous swarm. Having Tyranid Warriors and Raveners and a walking Tyrant and a Screamer-Killer all really pull their weight felt awesome.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, scottshoemaker said:

I screen capped the warscrolls, pulled them into photoshop and cropped them to include just the title, stat line and rules text.  I resized them so that I could fit 4 such scrolls on an 8.5 x 11 sheet in landscape.  I double side printed to fit 8 units on a sheet, then put the sheets in a binder slip, then put the slips in a report binder.  I organized the units by my usage to minimize flipping around

well crap.  I am photoshop incapable (don't judge me).  It sounds kind of like what they did in that program someone posted, albeit its a program and not photoshopped.  Doublesides and fgour to a page really makes it a lot easier.  What did you do about the weapons information.  It took some page flipping to glide back and forth between the entry, the the weapons page and that summary page.  It wasn't necessary on everything of course but it was necessary enough.  So many changes necessitated it.

I will see if I have a friend whose super competent with that program and see what his free time looks like.

• Like 1

New Edition Now Available – Read the Rules, Get the T-Shirt!

DarkImpAvailNowBanner.jpg

Warhammer 40,000 is finally here! You can get started right now with Dark Imperium, the new book, and more at our online store or by heading down to your local shop.

We know you’ll want to get out and playing as soon as possible, so we’ve got some free rules (!) available here to give you the chance to get close and personal with the new edition.

40kBattlePrimerSpread.jpg

The Battle Primer is designed to be a foundation for the game, available to all players. While you’ll need the rulebook for the advanced rules and three ways to play, the Battle Primer contains the Core rules of the new edition, as well as an example of a game turn. There’s even a scenario for you to play! Download the Battle Primer in your language below. Future releases will contain rules in the box, so you’ll be able to get stuck in as soon as possible.

40kBattlePrimer_Banner2.jpg

If you have questions about the rules in the new edition, you’ll want to read the Designers’ Commentary. We’ve had all sorts of queries about the rules and our team have written a document designed to explain the core principles behind the game, from coherency to characters, to dice rolls themselves. Whatever your level of experience, it’ll be sure to be a valuable resource in any of your games.

40kBattlePrimer_ENG.jpg
40kBattlePrimer_FRA.jpg40kBattlePrimer_GER.jpg40kBattlePrimer_ITA.jpg40kBattlePrimer_SPA.jpg40kBattlePrimer_JPN.jpg40kBattlePrimer_SimpCHN.jpg

Finally, we’ve got a new T-shirt design available from Warhammer Wargear, reproducing the awesome helmet and crossed bolters design from the new rulebook. If you’re a fan of the Ultramarines, Death Guard, or just all things 40,000, here’s a stylish way to show it.

40kDarkImpTShirt.jpg

Get your indexes, rulebook and Dark Imperium in-stores and online now.

40kBattlePrimer_Banner.jpg

40kBattlePrimer_ENG.jpg

40kBattlePrimer_GER.jpg

40kBattlePrimer_ITA.jpg

40kBattlePrimer_FRA.jpg

40kBattlePrimer_SPA.jpg

40kBattlePrimer_TUR.jpg

40kBattlePrimer_DUT.jpg

40kBattlePrimer_RUS.jpg

40kBattlePrimer_SWE.jpg

40kBattlePrimer_TradCHN.jpg

40kBattlePrimer_SimpCHN.jpg

40kBattlePrimer_POL.jpg

40kBattlePrimer_NOR.jpg

40kBattlePrimer_MAL.jpg

40kBattlePrimer_KOR.jpg

40kBattlePrimer_JPN.jpg

40kBattlePrimer_HNG.jpg

40kBattlePrimer_GRE.jpg

40kBattlePrimer_FIN.jpg

40kBattlePrimer_DAN.jpg

40kBattlePrimer_CZEFinal.jpg

40kBattlePrimer_CAT.jpg

• Like 1

I think this edition will be good for the game. It has excited many and the fact that GW has used player input to make it better is a VAST improvement over their old methods. 

I am happy to be back. Oh, I will likely never win but meh. 

Nothing is the same as it was in the past, of you come into this with an expectation, you will likely become dissatisfied. 

• Like 6