Sgt. Rock's Astounding Infinity Stories!

Sgt. Rock

Better late than never, right? I've been meaning to do some work here and post some of my articles on the Pride of Rodina, but my arm has been jacked up, so I haven't been writing them. Anyway, here's the list I took yesterday: 

logo_104.png 3/26
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1sep.gifsep.giforden_regular.png10  
logo_2.pngFUSILIER Missile Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 15)
logo_2.pngFUSILIER HMG / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 18)
logo_2.pngFUSILIER (Forward Observer, Deployable Repeater) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 12)
logo_2.pngFUSILIER Lieutenant Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)
logo_2.pngFUSILIER Paramedic (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 12)
logo_6.pngSWISS GUARD Missile Launcher, Light Shotgun / Pistol, AP CCW. (2 | 69)
logo_26.pngBLACK FRIAR (Albedo, Biometric Visor L1) MULTI Rifle, Nanopulser, Drop Bears / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 28)
logo_15.pngBULLETEER Spitfire / Electric Pulse. (1 | 23)
logo_11.pngPATHFINDER DRONBOT Combi Rifle, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 16)
logo_1.pngAUXILIA (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle + AUXBOT_1 / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 15)
 sep.giflogo_1.pngAUXBOT_1 Heavy Flamethrower / Electric Pulse. (- | 4)

GROUP 2sep.gifsep.giforden_regular.png4  
logo_20.pngMACHINIST Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 15)
logo_24.pngLOCUST Hacker (Assault Hacking Device) Breaker Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Shock CCW, Knife. (0.5 | 38)
logo_15.pngBULLETEER Heavy Shotgun / Electric Pulse. (0 | 17)
logo_22.pngCSU Combi Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 12)

6 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

The game was very, very bloody. The Fusilier link didn't get as much done as I would have liked, but they did manage to smoke a Tankhunter ML and a Scout. The Swiss Guard didn't do dick all, which is very disappointing for a 69 point model. I lost, 5-4. so it was closer than it felt like. 

It's a little weird... after, what, 3 years since N3 dropped? I'm still trying to find my footing in this game. I've talked with some folks and it seems like I'm playing Infinity like I (tried to) play Warmachine... very blunt, straightforward, and in-your-face. Which I've since found doesn't work in Ariadna. I'm doing better with Pano, but I can't decide if I want to go NCA, Vanilla, or try and slowly expand into MO. A heavy infantry pain train would probably suit me well, but I get the feeling Bolts would do a pretty good job for me, too. I suppose I just have to keep experimenting and try to figure out what I need to do to actually win a few games. 

I intend to get some painting in tonight, so hopefully I'll have a model to share tomorrow. 

• Like 3

I think you did fine in our game last night, but I would have changed a couple of things.  Mainly, I think you need to have a more solid idea of what each of your troops is their to accomplish.  In your link, you started with the HMG and Missile both standing for AROs.  While the missile launcher is perfect for that, the 5-linked HMG is an offensive hammer and should be kept safe in your reactive turns.   Sure it gives you a nice, mid/long range ARO, but people know that if that models lives it is going to to kill anything that isn't hidden in your turn and they will hunt it down before it can do that.  Second, in an army link Pano, suppressive fire is your friend!  That Bulleteer spitfire was in an ideal position later in the game to plop into suppressive and cause me a serious headache, but when I can still manage to hit him then burst will win out and eventually take the thing down.   I know it's order intensive, but getting that thing to midfield and popping suppressive gives you wiggle room to move for objectives while keeping your opponent busy dealing with an ODD murderbot.  Other than that I'd just focus on the objective.  We spent a lot of time killing each other and only some time moving the Warriors around.   While I certainly didn't make it an easy path, you could have spent a little more time trying to get through the nooks of the board for position.   

Still, the game was super close, so it's not like you weren't playing decently.   Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

So after Sunday, I've determined a few things. Number one, the Nisse MULTI sniper loadout is way too good, and I'm starting to lean on him a *lot.* Two, even in an expensive faction like PanO, piece trading is sometimes worth it. Giving up a Locust in favor of nuking 3/5 of a link team is well worth the sacrifice. And three, I really need to start mucking around with Father Knights a bit more. He feels like a miniature TAG out there. I think next time I might give the Spitfire loadout a try.

My game against Joel went a lot better for me than I expected it would, though admittedly, I got a lot of help from his dice (seriously, there is no way Scarface should have failed that many saves on one shot) and after going back just now and looking at my list, I screwed up something fierce. That Bulleteer with the heavy shotgun that took out like 3 models actually had a Spitfire, according to my list. So, sorry for cheating, Joel! I could have sworn that I put the shotgun loadout on him. Anyway, losing Scarface on top of turn one really put Joel on his heels for the rest of the game. Even so, I had a lot of fun, and I hope he did, too. I had a lot of fun playing against Seth and Jenni, too.

Anyway, here's the list I brought. After last week, I took Evan's advice and went through the list with a fine-tooth comb to try and make sure I knew exactly what each model was supposed to be there for. There were a couple that, in retrospect, were perhaps not worth the investment; the Acontecimento Regular hacker is great, but so expensive, especially for a model that isn't likely to use that LGL very often. The FastPanda is great to have, but I'm not sure it's worth the investment. Also, I know there are some people who will cry heresy at me for saying this, but I'm just not finding that Black Friar to be all that useful. I'm probably using him wrong, but he's got too much going on to be worth hanging out in my DZ, and his gun is too short range for that anyway. But he's only a 4-2 move, so he has trouble getting up to where he needs to be. I hardly ever use the Drop Bears on him, and I don't think I've ever busted out that Nanopulser. He's a fantastic toolbox, but it feels like he doesn't know what kind of job he's going to be doing, so he just brought a random selection of crap that he might maybe conceivably need. I wonder if the MULTI sniper version is any better; he would give NCA a slightly lesser equivalent to the Nisse that I hold so dear.

logo_101.png 4/2

logo_55.pngBLACK FRIAR (Albedo, Biometric Visor L1) MULTI Rifle, Nanopulser, Drop Bears / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 28)
logo_3.pngNISSE MULTI Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 34)
logo_6.pngKNIGHT HOSPITALLER Doctor (MediKit) MULTI Rifle / Pistol, AP CCW. (0 | 41)
logo_7.pngFATHER-KNIGHT Hacker (Assault Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Breaker Pistol, DA CCW. (0.5 | 50)
logo_16.pngPATHFINDER DRONBOT Combi Rifle, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 16)
logo_21.pngREGULAR Lieutenant Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 10)
logo_21.pngREGULAR Hacker (Hacking Device, FastPanda) Combi Rifle + Light Grenade Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 23)
logo_54.pngLOCUST Boarding Shotgun, Grenades, Drop Bears / Pistol, Shock CCW, Knife. (0 | 30)
logo_35.pngBULLETEER Spitfire / Electric Pulse. (1 | 23)
logo_1.pngFUSILIER Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)

GROUP 2sep.gifsep.giforden_regular.png2  
logo_17.pngSIERRA DRONBOT HMG / Electric Pulse. (1 | 25)
logo_1.pngFUSILIER Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)

6 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Anyway, thanks Joel, Seth, and Jenni for the games, and once again, Joel, I'm sorry I cheated! I have no excuse, I just wasn't paying attention. See you all next week!

Well, after my heady victories of last week, Pete managed to bring me crashing to earth yesterday. He utterly cleaned my clock, which I've come to expect when I play him. The lone bright spot was having my Crusader Bro pistol-crit his Myrmidon in the face in CC. That was pretty fun. But in the end, he managed to get me down to my lone, sad Fugazi bot, which, with no one left alive to guide it, simply sat there in my backfield being sad.

My list was not my best work, I'll admit. I wrote it yesterday morning when I was tired and didn't want to put any thought into anything, so rather than meticulously combing over the list like I usually do, I just threw some stuff together and said "Whatever, it'll work or it won't." I toyed with running my Father Knight as my Lt., but decided against it, then immediately regretted it when Jay told us what the scenario was. Anyway, here's the horrible list: 

logo_101.png 4/9

logo_16.pngPATHFINDER DRONBOT Combi Rifle, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 16)
logo_3.pngNISSE MULTI Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 34)
logo_55.pngBLACK FRIAR (Albedo, Biometric Visor L1) MULTI Rifle, Nanopulser, Drop Bears / Pistol, CC Weapon. (0 | 28)
logo_19.pngFUGAZI DRONBOT Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
logo_6.pngKNIGHT HOSPITALLER Doctor (MediKit) MULTI Rifle / Pistol, AP CCW. (0 | 41)
logo_36.pngPEACEMAKER Heavy Shotgun + AUXBOT_3 / Electric Pulse. (0 | 21)
 sep.giflogo_36.pngAUXBOT_3 Heavy Flamethrower / Electric Pulse. (- | 4)
logo_54.pngLOCUST Hacker (Assault Hacking Device) Breaker Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Shock CCW, Knife. (0.5 | 38)
logo_43.pngCRUSADER MULTI Rifle + Light Flamethrower / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 31)
logo_21.pngREGULAR (Sapper) MULTI Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 22)
logo_7.pngFATHER-KNIGHT Spitfire / Breaker Pistol, DA CCW. (2 | 50)

GROUP 2sep.gifsep.giforden_regular.png1  
logo_1.pngFUSILIER Lieutenant Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)

5.5 SWC | 299 Points

Open in Infinity Army

In my second game against Seth, I pulled out my OFCC list, which did pretty well. Seth had no answer for all the ODD/TO I had on the board, though to be fair, any opponent with a solid MSV piece won't have much trouble. It was brutally effective, and I imagine it'll be plenty strong against Ariadna, but I may need to revise it a little bit so that I'm not so wholly dependent on it. I'm still not 100% happy with bringing a Fusilier link, but I feel like leaving the Spec Ops out there all by his lonesome is just asking for trouble. It feels like the format for OFCC is really going to favor the use of link teams, which is kind of unfortunate, but them's the breaks. Anyway, I'll be taking the break from next week to get some more models painted (poorly) and maybe re-work my OFCC list a little, see if I can come up with something that makes me a little happier.

• 2 weeks later...

In another trial run of my NCA OFCC list, I played Pete with his ALEPH. In typical Pete fashion, he systematically dismantled me, further impressing upon me that I find that list, and the idea of NCA in general, to be reasonably effective but uninspiring. New project is to test out a FRRM list with Mirage 5 for the big show. It might not be effective, but parachuting werewolves are always fun. Eric and I talked tactics after game night, and I think I've got some ideas I'm going to try and put into practice in my next couple test games. I'll be giving it a first run tomorrow against Bob, so we'll see how it does, and if I like it, I've got some models to buy/paint...

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Holy threadomancy, Batman!

I figure I should give the odd update now and then, seeing as I won't be at game night much for the next six months or so now that football season is back. 

Garuda tacbots are horrible models and I hate assembling him. 

That is all for now. Will update after next weekend; attending a tournament in Seattle while I'm up there visiting family and friends.

13 minutes ago, nathonicus said:

So very, very true. The first generation of Aleph remotes, while awesome, were a freaking nightmare to assemble. I mean, separate shin guards...!?

Even worse, shin guards with no real interlocking contact point.  They were all surface to surface joins.  There's a reason I left them off all of mine.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Story time. I bought one of the old Crusader Brethren models with a combi rifle on eBay for $7. It was used, mostly in good shape. When it arrived, it was missing one of the little wings off his jump pack. I contacted the seller and got a refund. Today, I found the wing in an empty box on my kitchen table, and offered to pay the guy the $7 back, because he sold me a product that I received as advertised, and it was the honest thing to do. His response was "Just keep the 7 bucks, it's hard enough on you playing PanO."

Shots fired.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • Sgt. Rock changed the title to Sgt. Rock's Astounding Infinity Stories!