OFCC 2017 Infinity Display Board

rudra34

Heya!  So I posted this in the Infinity pages, but it has a chance to get some more eyes on here.  I'm putting together the display for our three-man team at this year's OFCC, making it the biggest hobby project that I've taken on in awhile.  Here is the entirety of the post in the other forum:

----------

Alright!  I took the day off and I'm getting a running start on the OFCC display board for Eric, Justin, and myself.   

This is the basic concept, poorly drawn by a poor artist.   
51235306148__294A7DB7-272E-4EEE-A199-1251CCBF0EEE.thumb.jpg.ad77afb4539e7c64517b02823388659a.jpg

The basic plan is to have different levels for each army.  The lower level will be for Justin's Haqq, living it up down below.  The ground level will be for my Ariadna, and the raised platform will be fore Eric's Haqq.  The idea is that each army will have it's own space to be shown off, but there will be coherency between the three within the setting.

Getting the base level of foam cut and glued downIMG_0713.thumb.jpg.898307d00271fa277d7c7a7e01a830b2.jpg

Cutting a path for the pipe and sewer drain:
IMG_0716.thumb.jpg.7d33292f9db0e450de9292ae126040ee.jpg

Putting on the rest of the foam, and creating a half-pipe in the exposed half of the board using the rest of the pipe to shape foil over plaster:
IMG_0718.thumb.jpg.c39e2a7617d1a204b748860d91fe6c50.jpg

Plastering the whole thing to close gaps, texture, and make it safe for primer:
IMG_0721.thumb.jpg.2cde2f6d2140846ed042e1aa468e3a2c.jpgIMG_0720.thumb.jpg.26e3ad09b3650f0c6d9440b5670eb45a.jpg

That's all for now as there is a butt-load of plaster that needs to dry before it will be safe to work on any further.   The rough ground will work fine for the ground level, but the lower level will get a layer of card stock over the foil.  The platform is something that I'm gathering materials for, so the final design isn't decided yet.  The main goal is that it has at least 48 square inches of space for models and some drop pieces.   Any who, so far everything is going well, and I am looking forward to progressing further on the project!

----------

First question I have is if anyone knows of a good product for water effects.  I've never had to do them on bases or terrain before, and I really don't want to f*** anything up with a bad product or bad knowledge of how it is used. 

Any other tips would be appreciated as this project continues, and thanks in advance!

• Like 9

I've read about good results using clear silicone caulking for water effects. Paint the area to be covered in the pipe whatever colors you want the water to be, do the silicone over that and brush on clear gloss once dry.

The clear gloss gives the shine, silicone adds depth and pre-painting the bottom of the pipe gives the colors.

Being Infinity, I'd go for a toxic waste, florescent yellow-green personally;)

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, PourSpelur said:

I've read about good results using clear silicone caulking for water effects. Paint the area to be covered in the pipe whatever colors you want the water to be, do the silicone over that and brush on clear gloss once dry.

The clear gloss gives the shine, silicone adds depth and pre-painting the bottom of the pipe gives the colors.

Being Infinity, I'd go for a toxic waste, florescent yellow-green personally;)

Thanks!  I'll look into it!   

• Like 1