Played my first AoS game and...

... it was interesting. So some background. My opponent had only played one real game previously, I had played none. It was a 1000pts of Khorne (me) on Tzeetch action. My bloodthirster killed his LoC.

Now my initial reactions of this game are its a fun game to play. Doesn't really require much thought, simple rules, I get to use my cool models again. But, it seems to me like alot of "4's to hit, 4's to wound, oh my save is a 4+!" Some of the rules from the free downloads are ambiguous to say the least and how am I supposed to actually play some models when they have things like "repeat aloud your opponents spell backwards and get +2 to dispel"? Is there an errata that rewrites these rules?

Now I have some actual questions about the rules that I couldn't find the answers to in the general handbook;

•Can you really shoot into and out of combat with no penalty? Seems weird, but I'm ok with it.

•Is there no magic dice pool? You can just attempt any spell once by just rolling dice?

•Is the alternating turns thing legit? That was a shock. It worked in my favor too but I got shot up really good before I ever got into combat.

All in all it was a pretty fun experience. I don't think ill play that much cause it just seemed.... empty? Watered-down? I dunno, its just not W:FB. It is however the only way I will get to use my cool fantasy models in my area. I will definitely give it more games cause it was entertaining.

• Like 2

If compared to WHFB,yes this game is totally new and has very little in common with it,other than being able to use the same models for the most part.

Have you played 40k?..because AoS is much more in that vane of a game.

The set save,hit and wound values are all a result of removing what used to be the resolution charts..in the grand scheme of things it works well when combined with unit special rules and streamlines the game quite a bit,,,does take some getting used to though.

Yes,you need to act out the fluff scenes just as the rule states!

....ok just kidding no one does that,lol

Shooting into and out of combat is a big part of the more simplified ruleset,,at first,yes it seems like shooting has a huge advantage and shooting armies do very well in competition.Though Melee armies can do well too ,checking tournament results will show that there are a fair amount of solid melee based armies in the top tier as there is shooting.Its hard to see this in just a few games played,,check batreps online and you will see what I mean.

No magic dice pool anymore,,spells on the warscrolls though in some armies with newer tomes,they can choose spells to add to a wizard out of the book.

Alternating turns is a core game mechanic,,random alternating turns that is.There are a very few warscroll abilities that can add to the die roll but for the most part this is the way the game is.Yes it creates chaos..but remember the thng about Chaos?...its fair

AoS doesnt have the deep chart filled,massive rulesets of other games,its based around simple easy to learn rules yet the game gets deeper the more you get into matching up armies and moving positioning them on the board.

• Like 1

I can see why you might be feeling let down if you were hoping for WFB. However, I think if viewed as a game on its own merits it is pretty darn solid. And Khorne is getting a new battletome soon, which I think will do some nice things for it as a faction. I see the Bloodbound doing very well once Khorne Daemons are thrown in.

If you are looking for some WFB matches though, I think you might be in the right place. There is a section of these forums dedicated to WFB and 9th Age. I think if you poke around there you should be able to scare up an opponent or two. :D

To be honest, this game reminds me of  Heroclix or X-wing more than W:FB. And that is totally fine! I loved both those games.

Like the game does have its own tactics. Since the double turn thing is legit, I can see how knowing when to use it can be key. And preventing the worst if it happens to you. Also models can't come closer than 3" unless charging? Seems like a great way to deny objectives.

Yes, jacks I've played 40k. I think I started at the end off 4th? I've toned it down because the meta changes to quickly anymore to keep up.

Yah you can't really compare AoS to WHFB, its a completely new game using the same models. Some people would say that the simplification of the rules is a curse but nah I say it is a blessing. I stopped playing 40k right now because of the rules bloat and complexity. Two of my favorite things about AoS are the 4 pages of rules and the Warscrolls with all the rules for each unit on one handy sheet. I can understand and maybe appreciate a rule-set that is super complex and in-depth. Maybe this would be great if I only played one game all of the time, but I play a bunch of other tabletop games. I think the complexity and depth of the game comes in with the synergies between the units and Allegiance abilities. The initiative roll in the game is always a real clincher when rolling and can really turn the tide in a battle. But with alternating activation's in close combat, it keeps both players engaged and softens the blow of blowing an initiative roll.

• Like 1

On March 29, 2017 at 1:36 AM, Spaceork said:

All in all it was a pretty fun experience. I don't think ill play that much cause it just seemed.... empty? Watered-down? I dunno, its just not W:FB. It is however the only way I will get to use my cool fantasy models in my area. I will definitely give it more games cause it was entertaining.

Kings of War and 9th Age have some rulesets for playing closer to W:FB. As for using the models, you can convert them for 40k.... Though it sounds like we're getting an AoS variant for 40k in the near future.