Koyote's Britons & other SAGA Stuff

Koyote

My SAGA Desert Nomad (Lords of the Wild) javelin levy are done. That's one fewer task on my Adepticon prep to-do list.

wWo3Ez.jpg

In addition to finishing off the last of my levy, I spent time this week experimenting with colors for my new magic carpet, painting the base for the new carpet, and prepping my Sphinx for paint.

neceXr.jpg

I also took some time to update the bases of my 60+ Moor and Desert Nomad models to match the bases of my javelin levy.  This entailed repainting the black decorative rocks a dark brown (highlighted with a lighter brown) and added tufts of Tiny Beige Gamer Grass (2mm).  The mixture of dark and light tufts look much better than just the dark tufts alone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

GamerGrass sells some great products, but I cannot say whether or not they are best 'bang' for one's buck.  If you order from them directly you will pay for international shipping (I believe they are located in Portugul), but I don't recall rates as being unreasonable.  You may be able to reduce those costs by buying your GamerGrass products from a US retailer.

Most of the tufts that I use are Army Painter tufts that I buy off the rack at Dark Tower.

I buy from companies, like GamerGrass, when I want specialty tufts, such as flower tufts and GamerGrass' "Tiny" tufts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finished my AoM Warlord on a flying beast.  I can see plenty of areas where the model can be improved, but overall, I'm pleased with how it turned out.  

The eagle's feathers look much better (better definition between feathers) in-person than they do in the photo.  Also, the talons don't look quite so orange in person.  I think both are cased by my lighting, but I'm too lazy to go back and shoot the model again.

I used a plain LBM decal for the shield and painted the white script and circles by hand. Simple but effective.

e8c0wM.jpg

KMWB9i.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

One more task checked off my Adepticon prep to-do list.

This big fellow will serve as a Scourge (flying monster) for my Deep Desert Nomad (Lords of the Wild) warband.

fotzAo.jpg

It’s a Djinn 3D print that I bought from a seller on Etsy.com. I scaled it up to 120mm so it would be “monster” sized  rather than “creature” sized.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I finished painting the Sacred Ground.  

It's time to start work on the desert display board.  My plan is to make it a fairly simple board. It will incorporate an insert for the Sacred Ground, tufts, and some of the exposed rock seen on the Sacred Ground.

q5Eel5.jpg

I've included the WIP photo below so you can see how I made the insert.  I'll use filler to conceal the outside edge of the styrene sheet.

KZ9474.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The original theme was is a cursed forest that has fallen under the spell of a malign, enigmatic fae creature who takes the form of a gaunt, impossibly tall manlike creature reminiscent of member of the Wild Hunt from Northern European folklore.  The warband is comprised of the reanimated men, elves, and even a treant, of forest kingdoms decimated by the fae creature's dark magics. 

I've refined this theme by adding Baba Yaga and some of her pets to the mix.  I've additional flavor to the warband by sprinkling some fun character models throughout.  Finally, added some resin bits to the bases and the hearthguard's helmets to reinforce the dark forest theme.

I magnetized the warlord (or Necromancer) so I can switch him between bases.  This lets me play him on foot or mounted on a Beast (although in this case, he and his "beast" walk side-by-side).  The two character models beside the warlord are to be used as Challengers in the Old Feud scenario -one a fighty character (Brute or Soldier) and one a non-fighty character (Mystic or Counsellor).

8QlkwD.jpg

Here's Baba Yaga herself.  Mounted on her flying mortar and pestle, she can represent either a mounted Sorcerer or mounted Necromancer.  Beside her is her trusty lieutenant, the Black Knight.  The FAQ made the Black Knight a bit less useful, but still, its ability to take Fatigue off of a nearby hero could mean the the difference between life and death when a Necromancer or Sorcerer has to roll on the Abuse of Power Table.

OzQqmE.jpg

I've replaced the scary Treant model with an even scarier Leshy (Wendio) model. I made the switch because I think this model will paint up much nicer than the original "undead" Treant.

aTyMUs.jpg

Of course, you can't have Baba Yaga without her magical, chicken legged hut. This hut is a bit smaller than I had originally envisioned, so I've ordered a second hut printed at 150% of this hut's size.  My plan is to use the hut as the warband's Sacred Terrain.

VZ6Hea.jpg

Below are three themed objective markers I whipped up for the warband.

SrK82N.jpg

Below are my mounted hearthguard.  The antlers were snipped off a pack of resin antlered helms I ordered from a printer on Etsy. I drilled holes into the sides of their helmets to slide each antler into place.

CAn5QT.jpg

Below are four units of 10 Warriors -two with "no equipment" and two with bow.  Each unit is led by a champion that has no in-game effect, but adds flavor to their respective unit.

VxvSbx.jpg

MlWqCE.jpg

nExXGk.jpg

Y9kSVo.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1