Catachan as Genestealer Cult

Hey so I have had some catachan laying around, and I was thinking that the GSC list would work really well for a ambushing catachan force. The only problem is how to distinguish between infantry units so that I could run more than just a single type of infantry. 

Maybe more physical camo and only melee weapons for units such like pure genesteelers and mutants? Those guys are small so I'd hesitate to use the so much bigger ogryn models. 

The HQ's seem like they'd be easy to model as heroic individuals. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, generalripphook said:

Hey so I have had some catachan laying around, and I was thinking that the GSC list would work really well for a ambushing catachan force. The only problem is how to distinguish between infantry units so that I could run more than just a single type of infantry. 

Maybe more physical camo and only melee weapons for units such like pure genesteelers and mutants? Those guys are small so I'd hesitate to use the so much bigger ogryn models. 

The HQ's seem like they'd be easy to model as heroic individuals. 

Depends, do you intend to ally your GSC to your Astra Millitarum (even in games of apocalypse)? The main issue I see with this plan is how confusing it would be to have basically two AM armies in your forces, where one counted as GSC and the other didn't....

Otherwise, doesn't seem like a huge problem. For size increases, note that GW has a large line of unused "Abhumans" since they stopped Warhammer Fantasy. Lots of easy ways to add more options. And most of the warhammer fantasy options did have RT models made for 40k, at one point or another. 

Looking through at the unit 

patriarch- I dont know about this guy, maybe a few models on a base or maybe Sly Marbo in a scene to make him more bulky maybe a comissar? 

magus- a primarus psyker

primus- either heroically melee company commanders or a comissar

iconward- easily a banner bearer 

acolyte hybrids- since these guys are melee heavy it will be the bulkier catachan

neophyte hybrids- maybe victoria miniatures tanith models with bare arms 

hybrid metamorphs- no clue

pure genestealers- no clue 

vehicles will be super easy. 

I am thinking I could take Warhammer Fantasy marauders, since they are super ripped with little armor, and convert them to be pure genestealers of metammorphs. 

Metamorphs could be Catachans with better CC gear. Some kind of whip or lasso or something for the Metamorph Whips, and maybe Power Swords for Metamorph Talons and Power Axes for Metamorph Claws? Possibly work in Marauder bits, since they've got a better variety of CC arm options.

The the Stealers could just take that a step further. No guns whatsoever, but absolutely festooned with CCWs of every description. Maybe even go for something like the Skaven fighting claws strapped to their hands.

4 minutes ago, WestRider said:

Metamorphs could be Catachans with better CC gear. Some kind of whip or lasso or something for the Metamorph Whips, and maybe Power Swords for Metamorph Talons and Power Axes for Metamorph Claws? Possibly work in Marauder bits, since they've got a better variety of CC arm options.

The the Stealers could just take that a step further. No guns whatsoever, but absolutely festooned with CCWs of every description. Maybe even go for something like the Skaven fighting claws strapped to their hands.

That'd be a good idea, maybe go catachans on the metamorphs but marauders on the stealers. 

I thought about this as well. Figured Catachan as the less mutated guys and using Necromunda pit slave models as the purestrain. Giant cybernetic weapon arms and drug collars would match the rule differences and stats pretty well. Visually different enough to make em easy to identify but still carry the theme.

After pricing out Necromunda pit slaves I shelved the idea. Then I thought about using Catachan and Ork cybernetic limbs from Kromlech.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PumpkinHead said:

Bullgryns would make good Aberrants. 

That bullgryn kit is awesome too.

If you do go that route and don't want/use the slabshields (tower shields) I'd be happy to trade/buy them off you.

Bullgryns come on 40mm bases, if wondering. Though for model size, they are the biggest model I've seen on a 40mm base, at least for recent history of plastic kits - I was kinda surprised they didn't come with the Centurion 50mm rounds.

1 hour ago, generalripphook said:

My only concern there would be modeling for advantage, I wouldn't be but I dont want an opponent to feel like I have. 

Looking online at aberants (guys with 3 arms and a pick, right?), yeah, looks like 25mm or 32mm bases, so bullgryns are proably too large. I'd look for some fantasy models with great weapons, then just add another arm.