Shadow War: Ordogeddon - the league

AgentP

Shadow War : Ordogeddon

Overview

This is a Ordo Fanaticus Shadow War: Armageddon league.  As an Ordo event, the primary purpose is sportsmanship, fun, camaraderie, and enjoying the hobby.

Kill Teams

Kill Teams shall be made from 1000pts, and pursuant to the rules published by GW for SW:A.  Each model in your kill team must be WYSIWYG.  If you purchase a weapon upgrade for your model at the end of a mission, that model must be WYSIWYG with the new upgrade or replaced with an appropriately armed model to be useable in your next game.

Games

In signing up for this league you commit to playing at least 1 game every 2 weeks.  We encourage games to be played on Sunday at WOW.  The second best option is Tuesday nights at WOW.  A third option is a game played at a place agreed upon by the players.  However, you cannot play consecutive games away from WOW.  Meaning if you schedule a game in your garage, your next game must be at WOW to count.

You may play up to two games during any period.

Players schedule their games with opponents, but cannot play the same opponent back-to-back, and must play every league player at least once over the course of the league.

GAME PERIODS

April 30 – May 13

May 14 – May 27

May 28 – June 10

June 11 – June 24

June 25 – July 8

July 9 – July 22

League Fees

The cost to play in the league is a flat, one-time, $20.  This can be paid at WOW, or via PayPal.  Clubhouse fees at WOW are in addition, based on champion status.  All proceeds will be invested in new SW:A terrain and prizes for the top league finishers.

League Prizes

There will be three league prizes at the end:

WARRIOR: A prize for the team with the most promethium at the end

ARTIST: A prize for the best painted team at the end.  This requires you starting with an unpainted team, and painting  and converting it over the course of the league, with at least one status update post per game period at www.ordofanaticus.com

NARRATOR:  A prize for the person who creates the best running story based on their team’s exploits.  This requires a story post on www.ordofanaticus.com after every mission.

Players:

1. Weav [Scouts]

2. Savion [Sisters]

3. Steel Angel [Harlequins]

4. evil_bryan

5. Sugarlessllama [Skitarii]

6. threejacks

7. Dark Trainer

8. Pyre Warden [Chaos]

9. Jollyork

10. AgentP [dark eldar]

11. Ish [Harlequins]

12. Happycamper

13. Brother Glacius

14. WarlordGhrom

15. zcaust83

16. peter.cosgrove

• Like 3

Or you replace the model with one correctly equipped.  Teams can be as small as 3 dudes.  This is not an onerous requirement.  It promotes painting and hobbying over the course of the entire campaign, and prevents people from saying late in the campaign "that tyranid warrior actually has a venom cannon."

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, AgentP said:

Or you replace the model with one correctly equipped.  Teams can be as small as 3 dudes.  This is not an onerous requirement.  It promotes painting and hobbying over the course of the entire campaign, and prevents people from saying late in the campaign "that tyranid warrior actually has a venom cannon."

Um, wouldn't that be solved by looking at the Kill Team Roster?

1 hour ago, AgentP said:

Thank you. WYSIWYG is really simple in such a small game. You could paint fifteen models and never have to cut anything up.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Weav said:

Thank you. WYSIWYG is really simple in such a small game. You could paint fifteen models and never have to cut anything up.

I understand the your point. However, I think the point being raised was that sometimes someone has a faction that can play, but the models in their collection are not appropriately equipped. And rather than going out and purchasing additional models, someone might like to play with the models that they already own. And while there is some idea that a tricky player could pretend to have equipment for their unit model that they don't have the points for, this is defeated by simply referring to the Kill Team roster.

Because, just speaking for myself of course, if I didn't already have the models in my collection, or were required to buy more models in order to be WYSIWYG... I wouldn't play. The hobby is already expensive enough as it is, I don't see the need to arbitrarily make it more expensive in order to play the game at a smaller scale. That just seems silly to me. 

However, I am not running the event and so it is not my decision. And I do look forward to participating. :D  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, evil_bryan said:

7428089028509800058%253Faccount_id%253D1

Le sigh. Screen shot with no text. I still stand by my statement.

Including WYSIWYG in the rules is an effort to sell more models. Which is fine. But I don't think it adds anything to the game. Nor does in make the event more inclusive. What if a player wanted to bust out their old hive gang from Necromunda using the Genestealer rules? I think that would be awesome, especially from a narrative standpoint. But using WYSIWYG, they can't. So... you know... less awesome.

But as I mentioned before, I am not running the event. So I will comply with WYSIWYG. I am just noting that I am not a fan, and why I am not a fan.

I think a few other things should be added to the "knives and grenades" exemption from WYSIWYG: clip harnesses, optics, pistols (when not a primary weapon), and so forth.

The most important things to have WYSIWYG are weapons and armor. I should be able to tell from tabletop distance that This Guy has carapace armor, a laspistol, and a chainsword, That Guy has power armor and a boltgun, The Other Guy has a sniper rifle and camouflage gear.

I really don't want to be the "rivet counter" that inspects the details on your toy solder's belt to determine if he has a clip harness or not... 

"Counts As" models should also be encouraged,as Surgalessllama mentions. As long as the counts as theme is consistently applied and the weapons/armor are correct. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sugarlessllama said:

Le sigh. Screen shot with no text. I still stand by my statement.

Including WYSIWYG in the rules is an effort to sell more models. Which is fine. But I don't think it adds anything to the game. Nor does in make the event more inclusive. What if a player wanted to bust out their old hive gang from Necromunda using the Genestealer rules? I think that would be awesome, especially from a narrative standpoint. But using WYSIWYG, they can't. So... you know... less awesome.

But as I mentioned before, I am not running the event. So I will comply with WYSIWYG. I am just noting that I am not a fan, and why I am not a fan.

Having played Necromunda, WYSWYG is huge in the culture. Being that SW:A is a necromunda spin off it makes sense to follow the culture requirement. That said, a Necron player can literally make a team with 1 box of immortals. Sure some races may require more to get the right weapons, but that's the key here. The focus is  such a small model commitment, players can easily get bits (ebay), magnets, or additional models. The main requirement is because this is expected of all necromunda players previously.

That said, many wargear items don't require WYSWYG outside of primary weapons (ammo reloads, etc). A lot of wargear falls under the 'stored in their pockets, etc'. Oh and i'm a HUGE fan of hostlered pistols, that was a nice thing last time I played necromunda.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dark Trainer said:

Having played Necromunda, WYSWYG is huge in the culture. Being that SW:A is a necromunda spin off it makes sense to follow the culture requirement. It's like playing blood bowl, you wouldn't field orks as elves. That said, a Necron player can literally make a team with 1 box of immortals. Sure some races may require more to get the right weapons, but that's the key here. Again, the statement is that you have such a small model commitment, you can easily get bits, magnets, or additional models. The main requirement is because this is expected of all necromunda players since the beginning of time.

That is fine. Like I said, I will comply with the requirement. I am just a fan. Nor will I likely become a fan in the future.

• Like 2