Help a newb out!

So, I am currently reading the rules and formulating army plans for hopefully OFCC. I am fairly certain I'll be bringing Dwarfs but need a bit of knowledge on how to build my list. Are big units still great like in 8th? What sort of army building tips do you have? Any pitfalls I should look out for?

Any Dwarf specific tips?

I'll probably have more questions as I read more, but for now I am just looking for general info and ideas. Thanks.

Hello! So I'm sure TheBeninator can give you better advice on the dwarfs that I can, but from what I've seen online, you can't go wrong with the tooled-out Lord on Shieldbearers and a big-ish block of core (~30 Clan Warriors or Greybeards), and then sprinklings of Marksmen to fill out the core, or small 10 man units of Warriors. Steam Copters / Bombers make great chaff / harassers. I see people running medium-sized  Deep Watch, maybe as a bunker for the Lord (?). And then, artillery to taste!

As far as army software, I use Army Builder, which I love, but then again it's not free. I believe most people use Battlescrib, which is also great, and free!

Miners with pistols are fantastic...as are tooled out slayer characters...especially for monster hunting. 

Lord with shield bearers in Iron breakers is a unit that simply doesn't budge. 

I like organ guns for warmachines...possibly catapults or bolt throwers as well. Cannons only really pay off when facing more then 2 monsters and you have other means of dealinh with that problem.

Here is a rough army list based on what I have painted... I may be off on my unit counts a bit since I just built this from memory but it should be close:

Dwarven Holds (BS2.0 Dwarven Holds) [4429pts]

• DH Characters [919pts]

• Anvil of Power [200pts]

• Lords of Stone [370pts]

• King [250pts]

Army General, Great Weapon [20pts], Shield Bearers [120pts]

• Lords of Stone [170pts]

• Thane [50pts]

Battle Standard Bearer [50pts]

• Runic Smith [179pts]

Shield [4pts]

• DH Core [424pts]

• Clan Warriors [424pts]

Champion [20pts], Musician [20pts], Standard Bearer [20pts]

• 24x Clan Warrior [384pts]

24x Shield [48pts]

• DH Special [1250pts]

• King's Guard [690pts]

Champion [20pts], 24x King's Guard [720pts], Musician [20pts], Standard Bearer [20pts]

• Miners [560pts]

Champion [20pts], Great Weapon [80pts], 20x Miner [400pts], Musician [20pts], Shield [40pts], Standard Bearer [20pts]

• DH Clans' Thunder [160pts]

• Steam Copters [160pts]

• Attack Copter [160pts]

Attack Copter [120pts]

• DH Engines of War [680pts]

• Field Artillery [270pts]

Cannon [270pts]

• Field Artillery [130pts]

Flame Cannon [130pts]

• Field Artillery [280pts]

Organ Gun [280pts]

• DH Core + Clans' Thunder [856pts]

• Clan Marksmen [396pts]

Champion [20pts], 14x Clan Marksman [294pts], Crossbows, Musician [20pts], Shields [42pts], Standard Bearer [20pts]

• Clan Marksmen [460pts]

Champion [20pts], 16x Clan Marksman [336pts], Guild-Crafted Handguns [64pts], Musician [20pts], Standard Bearer [20pts]

• DH Characters + Engines of War [140pts]

• Engineer [140pts]

So I have just been reading the Artillery rules... wow... cannons seem lame. Assuming I understand correctly, you get roll to hit, then if hit you get the number of hits equal to the ranks of the unit hit, one hit of which is S10 multiple wounds while the rest are super crappy S3 with no bonus' what so ever. I do not see any reason you'd take a single cannon over 2 bolt throwers for the price. It also really seems like Organ Guns and magic'd up flame cannons would be far superior artillery choices.

Experience has taught me small arms fire from dwarf bodies is superior to flame cannons. They just don't do enough damage for the cost. You might get 2-3 shots before they attack it or get into the lines. I'm better at ninth than I was any other edition. But every meta is different and you might have a great idea. 

9 hours ago, Prophecy said:

Experience has taught me small arms fire from dwarf bodies is superior to flame cannons. They just don't do enough damage for the cost. You might get 2-3 shots before they attack it or get into the lines. I'm better at ninth than I was any other edition. But every meta is different and you might have a great idea. 

I certainly do not have experience with the cost effectiveness of the war machines vs other shooters, but it seems like the flame cannon is superior to the regular cannon as it is 100 points cheaper with the range upgrade and does 1.5 times the hits on average with a higher strength and Flaming. The only spot it lacks is on the first hit and the range in comparison.

Back in the days of 8th the Dwarf shooters were better at many jobs than the war machines... with the machines pretty seriously nerfed I imagine they are looking even better. I may need to paint some more up.

3 minutes ago, dkieft said:

Back in the days of 8th the Dwarf shooters were better at many jobs than the war machines... with the machines pretty seriously nerfed I imagine they are looking even better. I may need to paint some more up.

Ehh, dwarf artillery was pretty significantly better than their small arms in 8th. That said, the "best" formation in 9th tends to be a mixture of the two. Artillery represents condensed threats with large fields of interdiction while small arms are better value buy. Balance between the two is pretty important for the dawi given their lack of offensive magic and cav.

And yeah, cannons kinda suck.

How do people feel about runesmiths vs anvils? I am not sure how much magic to expect so it is hard to know if the higher level dispel is cooler than the other spells on the anvil. 

Also, can the anvil move? I did not notice a restriction but figure I might be missing it.

I think the Anvil and the Runesmith both have their merits. I personally like the Anvil: 36" gives it some reach vs a Runesmith, plus a pretty good magic missle in Rune of Shattering. But dispelling as an apprentice vs a master is no small difference, and the Smith giving a unit armor piercing is nice.

For dispel power, my experience is that you don't see "scroll caddies" in 9th. I usually don't run a scroll in my lists, but I do like to run a level 4 wizard master.

There's a lot to be said for going magicless though, especially for Dwarves. A Runesmith with an Aether Loadstone, in combination with Hewn from the Mountains,  can make it tough for enemy casters.

Another thing to consider with Dwarves is that your opponent will get a +1 on all of their dispel attempts because you are casting bound spells, and you get zero modifier, so against anyone with a Wizard Master or the Aether Iocn you'll have to throw 4 casting dice for every 2 dispel dice they use to get a spell off, assuming average rolls.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 3:30 PM, Andrewgeddon said:

Another thing to consider with Dwarves is that your opponent will get a +1 on all of their dispel attempts because you are casting bound spells, and you get zero modifier, so against anyone with a Wizard Master or the Aether Iocn you'll have to throw 4 casting dice for every 2 dispel dice they use to get a spell off, assuming average rolls.

That seems to be selling bound spells a little short. Average roll on 4 casting dice would be 14 and an average on 2 dispel dice with a +3 is only 10. Also bound spells have a nice benefit of having zero negative effects on a miscast if you use 3 or less dice and using 4 of more dice only causes you to lose the spell, not roll on the regular table. On an average magic phase you should still be able to get at least one bound spell off, and there is always the option to take the rune that gives your casters +1 to cast :)

2 minutes ago, smashthedean said:

That seems to be selling bound spells a little short. Average roll on 4 casting dice would be 14 and an average on 2 dispel dice with a +3 is only 10. Also bound spells have a nice benefit of having zero negative effects on a miscast if you use 3 or less dice and using 4 of more dice only causes you to lose the spell, not roll on the regular table. On an average magic phase you should still be able to get at least one bound spell off, and there is always the option to take the rune that gives your casters +1 to cast :)

Definitely better advice that what I can give, since apparently I can do D6 averages, heh. To be fair, I think I just got home from work when I posted that, and my brain is usually fried at that point.

Also, did not realize that Dwarves had the +1 to cast rune. And I know some armies do very well relying on bound spells (Beasts come to mind). That being said, I still think there's a strong case to go magicless with the Dwarves.

The advantage of bound spells is that you can take a lot of them and their cast values are low enough to be safely 2 diced.  Also you can take the same spell more then once.

As the casting player you always have the advantage in terms of number of dice and you set the pace for the phase. This is far more noticeable in a bound spell based phase where you may be throwing 4 or more spells. Your opponent cant risk failing even one dispel so their unlikely to throw less dice then you even with their dispel bonuses. A bound spell magic phase can simply overpower your opponent in spells and dwarves are already an upper tier combat army so even one bound spell can tip fights in their favor.