I love Malifaux

Fixxer

Portland Game store has a good Malifaux showing on Tuesdays. Typically meet up there between 5-6pm and go until close. I'll be heading there tonight for a pickup game if anyone wants to check it out. I will bring an extra painted crew to loan someone for the night. 

• Like 1

Spotted this a bit late, but I'm a bit interested in Mali faux. I played it some way back when it first came out but dropped it in favor of Warmachine. Now I'm a bit burned out on competitive Warmachine, so... couple of questions:

What's the best starting point?

How long does an average sized game between average players take?

About how large a model collection do you need before you have a deep enough bench for creating crews that aren't one-note (Masters excluded)?

• Like 1

Hey Jesse. 

I am fairly new to the Malifaux as well and have had a great experience getting into the game, minus all the losses at Breaching the Faux a few weekends ago... Losing is part of learning though, I am getting better.... I think. :) 

Between different podcasts, forums, and dedicated websites there is a lot of information about this game. People are very generous in sharing ideas and concepts with each master and how to properly play them in most situations. Schemes and Stones is a great tactical podcast that focuses on a master at a time. Its a good thing to listen to these very structured interviews to get an idea of how masters you are interested in play. 

The game structure here is what alleviates net listing and competitive standards that would see certain models never being taken. Wyrd as a company is very good about updating and balancing existing models so they all see play.  This is based on hard data they that collect at tournaments and from Henchmen in the community so i feel the changes come from somewhere solid and not just people complaining on the internet. Maybe not though, Im still new. The way they release models with Waves is another balancing structure that keeps the flow of models and power creep spread across all factions.  

Generally there are beaters, summoners, support, and control masters and each faction has masters that are better at each play style. With that the general pool of models in the faction work with any master regardless of key words or theme. The balance in this game is by faction not by master. I know the tendency is to buy up all of the themed models for a master, but thats not usually the best method. 

My advice is to pick 2 masters from a single faction and focus on them until you have can play them without too much thought. The game is overwhelming at first and limiting what models you bring to the table can be hugely beneficial when starting out. Learning/Demo games can take up to 3 hours but when you have it down they typically take 1.5 to 2 hours. 

To get into the game, a $15 small rule book, a $50 starter box, and a couple extra boxes $10-$20 each (support local game stores BUT there are deals on EBAY that are really good. Master boxes for 35-40) and you will have a master full equipped for learning the game. After you've played some games with those models start adding in places you feel you are lacking. You need a lot of counters and a deck of cards too. You can bypass counters by using washable pens and writing everything on the cards, but I find that the visual representation next to the models helps us remember a little better as there is usually quite a bit going on...  So to get into the game with a single master you're looking at $100-$150 and for a Mini game, that's pretty darn good. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Yarbicus said:

Sure but even I can beat him!

He can. My first time facing Lucius and his riflemen. It was a brutal crew with Peacekeeper, Ryle, Captain Dashel, and the Lone Marshal. Thats a tough front line to get through to get those riflemen dealt with. Not only that but neutralize the leadership wasnt the best scheme to pick against Lucius with all his movement shenanigans. I got the alpha strike with Chompy but was denied when you just swapped places with a lesser minion. LOL. Good stuff, good game. I wont let that happen again, Yarb! :)

until next time! 

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:31 AM, Fixxer said:

He can. My first time facing Lucius and his riflemen. It was a brutal crew with Peacekeeper, Ryle, Captain Dashel, and the Lone Marshal. Thats a tough front line to get through to get those riflemen dealt with. Not only that but neutralize the leadership wasnt the best scheme to pick against Lucius with all his movement shenanigans. I got the alpha strike with Chompy but was denied when you just swapped places with a lesser minion. LOL. Good stuff, good game. I wont let that happen again, Yarb! :)

until next time! 

Yeah, that was a solid game.  You know I'm up for a rematch!