The Black Company and Wheel of Time coming to TV

Brother Glacius

Give up now.  Those are ambitious properties and there's no way that Hollywood stands a prayer.

Lets be honest, even Jordan couldn't keep it from being a sloppy mess when the decision was made to change it from 5 books to an open-ended series (and if that comment does not make sense, go back and re-read book 5 and write the outline for it so you can see which chapters were slapped on as an after though to rewrite the rules of the universe so they could extend things).

I've got to say that be it TV or movies about the only thing that Hollywood is handling well right now is Superheroes (and Game of Thrones although most of you will call me a heathen if I voice my opinions on why that is).  From _I, Robot_ to _Ghost in the Shell_ to _All You Need Is Kill_, their movie adaptations have really come down to a use of a name (and sometimes not even that) with very little relation to the actual subject matter and story line that was the basis of the material.

• Like 2

I think there is a big difference between doing a good job with a series and staying true to it. First off, TV is a completely different medium. Adjustments have to be made. And lets face it, when you have a series like Wheel, there is simply no way for the TV to delve into the characters in the same way that the books did. I think Games is a very good example of making a compelling show out of a novel without being chained to it.

Where I think shows fail is when they are simply "inspired" by the original. The Black Company can't simply be a fantasy A-team show. That is my biggest fear. Its like when a gamer decides to base their next character off of something they saw in a movie, but then does nothing to bring that character's persona to the table.

At least there is hope that it could be good. :)