New 40K bring in players?

I actually think more folks I'm talking too who are jumping ship will end up going into Infinity purely as the overall response is they think the dumbing down of the ruleset won't be enough for them. From personal experience i don't play AOS because it lacks the depth of 8th edition for me and you may end up getting some 40k gamers leaving as 8th seems to be the same. As with AOS i will try 8th edition out and give it a go. 

• Like 1

It's all very short sighted.  What AoS has done is to simplify and slipstream the base rules, the depth comes in on a per unit basis.  This makes the game itself play smoother, with the individual units adding their own complexity, without hindering those base rules.

Any old timer will remember the transition from 40k 2nd ed to 3rd ed, and it's simplifying and the backlash then.  Now we are in a period of the same kind of base rules bloat.  Having both a complex rules set with lots of information and formations/data slates (thus adding even more rules) is just too much.  Frankly both these updates have brought me back.  I left Fantasy a long time ago and stopped playing 40K in the last year or so, with the exception of a few games here or there.

As for me, games like Infinity, while great and deep, are too deep for me.  I flat out can't remember all the rules.

So for all those bailing on your 40k, hit me up, I may be in the market to buy your junk army for cheap.

• Like 4

I don't foresee many people jumping ship from 40K over this. It is no where near the table flip that Fantasy got reamed with. There you were going from rank and file gameplay to a four page skirmish ruleset. I think GW would have done much better to simply release AoS on its own, and then down the road, mark the end of WFB. With 8th 40K, the gameplay itself is not really changing. And if the rules succeed is speeding up play without making a drastic change, then I think people may miss certain aspects of 7th, but they won't bail on 8th.

What I was thinking when I posted this, is that now 40K is going to have similar mechanics to AoS. If those go over well with the 40K crowd, then it might encourage some to try out AoS.

2 hours ago, scottshoemaker said:

It's all very short sighted.  What AoS has done is to simplify and slipstream the base rules, the depth comes in on a per unit basis.  This makes the game itself play smoother, with the individual units adding their own complexity, without hindering those base rules.

Any old timer will remember the transition from 40k 2nd ed to 3rd ed, and it's simplifying and the backlash then.  Now we are in a period of the same kind of base rules bloat.  Having both a complex rules set with lots of information and formations/data slates (thus adding even more rules) is just too much.  Frankly both these updates have brought me back.  I left Fantasy a long time ago and stopped playing 40K in the last year or so, with the exception of a few games here or there.

As for me, games like Infinity, while great and deep, are too deep for me.  I flat out can't remember all the rules.

So for all those bailing on your 40k, hit me up, I may be in the market to buy your junk army for cheap.

Trying to like this more than once but even the new forums wont let me..

Totally with Scott on this,,im sure other games like Infinity have deep rewarding gameplay(and have probably the best metal models of any minaitures game) but I have a hard enough time dealing with finity! so cant even fathom getting back into deep and complex rulesets like I used to years ago(like 25) when complex games were all the rave.

As for bringing more players to AoS,,,not sure about that as it seems to me that 40k players that dont like the changes will just leave GW for good,knowing that both games have a very similar(if not identical) ruleset now.For those that like the changes,,perhaps some may also take the dive and purchase an AoS army so they can engage in some gameplay from the fantasy angle.Overall though,I dont see much change and besides,AoS even here locally is in a pretty good place.We have a great FB page and an active roster of upcomming events with a few new people joining in on the game every month or two:)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, scottshoemaker said:

You'll have to fight me for the Imperial Guard scraps mate. Queensbury rules.

Jokes aside. I can see AoS picking up more players simply due to the fact that people who love scifi will be lured in buy a more accessible 40k and then its a short leap to wanting those kickass power armored dwarves.

• Like 1

For me I took a break from 40k in general a month ago because of the uncertainty in what the new edition will bring.  Rather wait and see what army ideas are sparked by 8ed, then build something around a soon to be dead system.  Also figured it would be a good primer for what was to come in 8ed.  Looks like I was right :)

I feel like Fantasy and 40k always fulfilled different needs. Not just in regards to fluff, but in regards to gameplay. The ranked units, limited LoS, limited mobility, and weak shooting of Fantasy made it much more of a chess-like, geometric game of positioning. The shooting strength, rapid movement, and unlimited LoS of 40k made it much more of a fluid, dynamic game. The switch from Fantasy to AoS was jarring because it disrupted everything that made Fantasy Warhammer Fantasy: the core gameplay AND the narrative fluff. Many folks (including myself) weren't interested in AoS because it didn't touch anything that initially interested us in Fantasy.

I suspect the "AoS"ing of 40k will be different, as they're neither changing the core narrative, nor the core style of play. Its just a streamlining that brings 40k more in line with modern war games. It's still in the same world and it's still a skirmish game. It seems like a brilliant move.

Will it bring in a flood of AoS players? I suspect not. Some folks will play both, and it will definitely bring some additional 40k players to AoS as an adjunct to 40k. Now, though, I feel like GW might have two games that appeal to the same game experience with different skins. Personally, I appreciate a variety of different game experiences, and am thankful that there's so much variety available to gamers. Whatever floats your boat, you've got options!

• Like 3

I think it will help a lot of people to (for lack of a better way of phrasing it) stop being so scared of Age of Sigmar.

I was one of those table flipping NERDRAEG types when AoS debuted. But my issues with AoS have always been based on the setting, never the rules. Although I actually seem to be in the minority of WHFB players who thought that 8th Edition was a good game (minus Storm of Magic silliness), I won't deny that the barrier of entry for a 100+ model per player rank-and-flank game is high. But after decades of development, the old world was a deep and rich setting, filled with the dark fantasy and historical influences that I love. I liked WHFB more despite the rules than because of them.

AoS was the mechanical fix we needed, but the narrative decision to flush the old world seemed too drastic. However, as the game has progressed and new materials have been released, it's been growing on me...

I've wanted WH40k to switch to AoS-style rules and format pretty much since AoS debuted. If they do so without flushing the old universe, so much the better.

• Like 3