Playing 8th at OFCC - your options

evil_bryan

Just a quick note: If you AND your opponent wish to play 8th edition during your match at OFCC, you are free to do so. If you want to have this option then I would suggest prepping an 8th edition version of your list.

This is completely optional and not required in any way. Remember, OFCC is all about having fun and we want to ensure everyone does.

If you do plan to play 8th during your match, you are on your own regarding rules. I suggest settling all rules disputes with a drinking contest. :)

• Like 9

Unfortunately not really a good option for me, as my Army only comes to like 1200 Points in 8th, even with the necessary additional HQs added. Excellent concept, tho, and I may be up for giving it a try anyhow. It's not like I was expecting typical Games with this list, regardless.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WestRider said:

Unfortunately not really a good option for me, as my Army only comes to like 1200 Points in 8th, even with the necessary additional HQs added. Excellent concept, tho, and I may be up for giving it a try anyhow. It's not like I was expecting typical Games with this list, regardless.

What're you playing? We could always have a sideboard available in case you want to play 8th. :)

I'm still thinking about it. What I may do is offer opponents my 7th Ed DW army or my 8th Ed Sisters army.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VonVilkee said:

Blasphemy I know but power level? And use the underdog rules for extra command points?

I'd be down for this. The magic thing about OFCC is that it pre-selects for "cool people I'd probably be friends with, just hadn't met yet".

These people are the ones I'd be happy to try power levels with.

Open offer to any opponents I play, power levels and 8th?*

* Disclaimer-

Zero idea if my army is better/worse (heck, if it's even legal) or how many points it'll be.

• Like 5

For those of you thinking about doing this please know that you are on your own. I very much doubt I will have a good grasp on 8th by the time OFCC rolls around. 

I'm not sure how this will work or even if it will work. I just know that people will want to try, so proceed at your own risk. :)

Please do not feel pressured at all to do this. This is a 7th edition event and that is all you need to be prepared for. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, pretre said:

What're you playing? We could always have a sideboard available in case you want to play 8th. :)

I'm still thinking about it. What I may do is offer opponents my 7th Ed DW army or my 8th Ed Sisters army.

I'm running Assassins. Pure Assassins in 7th, but I need at least one HQ per 6 Elites in 8th. And a huge part of why I chose this Army was to minimize how many Models I had to carry around, so I'm not terribly enthusiastic about bringing a bunch of extra stuff to fill it out for 8th.

I converted my DE list into 8th ed. It only requires I paint one extra model—an Archon I've been meaning to paint for a few years. Otherwise I had to subtract a few things with vehicles getting so much more expensive. 

I'll drop one raider, 3 bikes, a few beasts, and a couple Medusae. I hope I can convince a couple people to play. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pretre said:

Just ran my DW list through 8th. I'm at 2005 points and have 3 illegal models. Not bad.

The next step, for me at least, is to calculate my power rating. My suspicion is that it really favors MSU, min/max type lists. This is IMO, the best way to run DE and I'm curious if the relative power levels reward it as much as I think it does. The supposition that 5 trueborn with splinter rifles are as powerful on the battlefield as trueborn with 4 blasters is pretty deeply flawed. 

Obviously just adding up my power level wouldn't tell me much, but I'd be curious to compare the power levels of various other 2k lists. I don't want to get underdog points as a reward for building the most effective list I could think of.