TraderA-3D

CaptainA

So I've gotten into 3d printing and am working furiously on some stuff for the Boise Cup but am also planning on bringing stuff to the OFCC. I had some ideas about a few things and wanted to bounce ideas off of peoples heads.

Wound Counter

This is a d20 holder that works as a wound counter for large models. Keeps it from rolling around.

Objective Marker

Objective markers with 40k icons on them.

Area Buffs

One of the big things in 8th is the use of aura or buffs that impact units. Putting tokens next to affected units will help with memory.

What do you guys think? Any interest in these kinds of things?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, CaptainA said:

I plan on having sets at the OFCC.

What would be in this "set" d10 holders as well or just the d20s?

Fyi GW looks like they missed using a counting die so those d20 wound markers they were/ are selling are the standard rolling d20 and not good for marking...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VonVilkee said:

What would be in this "set" d10 holders as well or just the d20s?

Fyi GW looks like they missed using a counting die so those d20 wound markers they were/ are selling are the standard rolling d20 and not good for marking...

I have a d20, and am hoping to have a d12 and d10, but my cad skills are limited, but it will be a good learning experience methinks.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, CaptainA said:

I have a d20, and am hoping to have a d12 and d10, but my cad skills are limited, but it will be a good learning experience methinks.

Biggest reason I don't have a 3d printer! Best laid plans would just turn into more entries on the hobby do list. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CaptainA said:

So I've gotten into 3d printing and am working furiously on some stuff for the Boise Cup but am also planning on bringing stuff to the OFCC. I had some ideas about a few things and wanted to bounce ideas off of peoples heads.

What do you guys think? Any interest in these kinds of things?

Thanks for doing this and spreading inspiration!!!  What kind of 3d printer, if you don't mind sharing?  I'm just about to take the plunge.  (no intention towards your great ideas here though!)

• Like 1

Also, 3d printing is great for your prototypes and originals, but depending you your print time, you may consider other duplication processes. Like using Oomoo 25 and Smothcast 300 to make rubber molds and plastic casts of your 3d printed items..  I am happy to share all I know about that!  

Example:  Use Oomoo 25 to create a silicone rubber mold of your d20 holder.  3 hours total to make the mold.

Use that mold to make 6 copies of your d20 holder out of smoothcast 300 (about 15 minutes each).  (Or print 6 of them, however long that takes.)

Make a silicone mold of those 6 copies. (2.5-3 hours, because you're experienced now at making Oomoo molds)

Using Smoothcast 300, you could then turn out 6 d20 holders every 15 minutes or so, while you were in production.  

I'm good at this kind of low level fabrication.  There are others around who know more about larger scale production.   

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Justjokin said:

Thanks for doing this and spreading inspiration!!!  What kind of 3d printer, if you don't mind sharing?  I'm just about to take the plunge.  (no intention towards your great ideas here though!)

I went with an Ultimaker 2+. It is pretty expensive, but I"m also now looking at a Prusa I3, which is one of the highest rated 3d printers right now.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Justjokin said:

Also, 3d printing is great for your prototypes and originals, but depending you your print time, you may consider other duplication processes. Like using Oomoo 25 and Smothcast 300 to make rubber molds and plastic casts of your 3d printed items..  I am happy to share all I know about that!  

Example:  Use Oomoo 25 to create a silicone rubber mold of your d20 holder.  3 hours total to make the mold.

Use that mold to make 6 copies of your d20 holder out of smoothcast 300 (about 15 minutes each).  (Or print 6 of them, however long that takes.)

Make a silicone mold of those 6 copies. (2.5-3 hours, because you're experienced now at making Oomoo molds)

Using Smoothcast 300, you could then turn out 6 d20 holders every 15 minutes or so, while you were in production.  

I'm good at this kind of low level fabrication.  There are others around who know more about larger scale production.   

Not a bad idea...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Justjokin said:

Blah blah.... Oomoo 25 blah.. blah...   smoothcast 300

Man, I sound like a freaking commercial!  There are other brands of similar products.  Those are the ones that I've had the most experience with.  Those do happen to be the products in the line that have the shortest curing times.  

• Like 1