Which army to start with for 8th?

Now that all the "what's 8th going to be like" nonsense is out of the way, let's get down to brass tacks. Which army are you going to go with first for 8th edition?

For myself, I have some clear leaders of the pack.

Coming in at the presumed #1 slot is necrons. This is my only painted army, and quite honestly, I played them before they got all the new toys. So I've got a great foundation of infantry and now I'll get to sprinkle in some vehicles. I have never been a big fan of special characters, but it seems like they are the way to go with 8th in order to get the special bonuses amongst your squads. And I'm quite curious to see how the "they always come back"  mechanic is going to work.

Swooping into #2 is my Ad Mech. These guys are just super cool. No paint though. But I pretty much have everything for them (unlike most of my other armies). The complete lack of transports though is worrisome.

Racing up to #3 are my orks. With how long the iconic build for these guys has just lagged in the power rankings, the chance to run a "typical" ork army and possibly do well??? How can you not do it? However, a buddy of mine is going to give 40K a second try and he is going with orks, so I'll be able to help him and and get my fix hopefully.

There is a huge brawl for the #4 slot. I've got Eldar that span all the way back to RT days, but I've also snagged most of the newer kits as well too. Then there are my space wolves, one of my latest 40K acquisitions. Very characterful marines, and they would get to use the Primus stuff too. I also have a pretty small tau force that could squeak its way in. I had to skip on the last few units that came out for these guys due to monstrous prices from GW. Out of all of those, the Space Wolves are probably in the lead. I just am not sure if I have enough assembled yet for play.

So, what are you going with, and why?

• Like 1

I'm currently hobby-ing my son's Tau for him, but I plan on starting 8th with my Orks. I have my Imperial Fists to fall back to if things go poorly for me and the Green Horde. Why? Cuz I'm sick of Space Marines, and what few Tyranids I have kicking around aren't enough to field.

What army am I going with? I suppose I am going to keep working on my DIY Chapter of Space Marines. I have been working on their lore for a little bit, and slowly getting better at painting. I think I am at a point where I can just modify units with new kits and replace poorly painted models with better ones.

However, with the Primaris Marines coming out I am down. Part of my would like to do some kind of successor chapter for either Blood Angels or Dark Angels with them.

Well if you already own Necrons and have a good history with them, I say play them.  I'll always be a Tau Empire general despite the forces i own because I just have more history there and enjoy seeing them out on the field.  I return tot hem after having my flings with other armies.  In many ways I look at my other armies as "practice" in order to imagine how to defeat them with my Tau.  The better I get with the "enemy" armies, the better I will be at anticipating them as Tau empire.  That probably makes no sense, but it's kind of how I view it.  Maybe necrons are your Tau empire, you know?

35 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

In many ways I look at my other armies as "practice" in order to imagine how to defeat them with my Tau.  The better I get with the "enemy" armies, the better I will be at anticipating them as Tau empire.  That probably makes no sense, but it's kind of how I view it.  Maybe necrons are your Tau empire, you know?

Nah, that makes perfect sense. Space Wolves were a nightmare for me to face until I started playing them myself, and learned what they don't want to see happening on the other side of the field. Now I do as well against them as anyone else.

Dark Eldar because I sold all my other [big bad swear word]. 

But I sold all my other [big bad swear word] because DE are the best. 

Very challenging to play, but very rewarding. They're the most fun to convert, and have endless painting opportunities—from snake aliens to multi-eyed, 'roided up gorillas. They've got birds and shadow demons, hovering spirit leaches and scantily clad gladiators. 

Since I sold everything else, my long term goal is to paint the 10000ish points I own, with each OFCC giving me a reason to paint something new. While I won't have time to paint them for this event, 8th Edition it's giving me a reason to finally paint up some hellions! Even though they've got stupid dreads like white dudes from some  numetal band from the late 90s/early 2000s, I'm still looking forward to having a reason to take them. 

• Like 2

Probably going to start with my Sons of Fenris and then sell my soul to the Dark Gods of Chaos and eventually shift to my Chaos Daemons. It's going to be fun to see how different the Sons of Russ play with the change to 8th and I'm excited to make a sizable terminator force work finally and bring my dreads back since they can't be OTK'd as easily anymore. When I eventually get to my daemons, I'm sooo stoked to field a 15+ wound Great Unclean One and now that all of Nurgle gets Disgustingly Resilient I'm going to love that my servants of the happiest Grandfather are even more resilient. My nurglings are coming for all of your ankles, so beware.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2017 at 7:49 AM, Sugarlessllama said:

Hell yeah! I actually picked up some resin bases for my Knights in preparation for the new edition.

I... Must.... Resist... The Mech Warrior.... 

Oh, I will do them one day. Though, I think, I will just want to make you all cry as I apply battle damage. Drilling and cutting like a madman... Mwuhahahahahahahaha 

• Like 2