Drop pods in 8th

derek

So what does everyone think of drop pods in 8th.  I have a 6k salamanders army that will probably be good as is mechanized infantry and such but because I do own this khyrabdis assault claw and some dread drop pods and dreads who wanna use said pods anyone able to give some good insight to their tactical use besides dropping in and no scatter and being 9 inches away?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dusldorf said:

I agree with Pretre but also think this edition marks the return of empty pods. They are quite resilient, and for their cost are one of the most efficient obstacles that you can use to screen characters as they make their way up the board. 

Maybe, but it's hard to waste empty pods when they are that spendy.

8 minutes ago, pretre said:

Maybe, but it's hard to waste empty pods when they are that spendy.

Not a waste if it equates to extra wounds for a spendy or tactically important character! It's certainly a tactic that can go wrong, but it also has the potential to be infuriating for your opponent.  

2 hours ago, derek said:

So what does everyone think of drop pods in 8th.  I have a 6k salamanders army that will probably be good as is mechanized infantry and such but because I do own this khyrabdis assault claw and some dread drop pods and dreads who wanna use said pods anyone able to give some good insight to their tactical use besides dropping in and no scatter and being 9 inches away?

I don't think you can drop pod dreads any more. The rules I saw said only infantry models and a dread is a vehicle. And nothing under dreads said they can drop.

30 minutes ago, WestRider said:

I feel like their best use is going to be with all-rounder Units that can dish out some serious firepower at 10"+ (so no Flamer Squads anymore) and do at least decently in Combat. Stuff like SternGuard or Wolf Guard with Combi-Plasmas and a few Power Weapons comes to mind.

I disagree about the types of units that will be best delivered via drop pod. To me the examples you list are way too expensive. I would favor cheap psykers that can jump out and use devastating powers on some key units. 

Well I think It'd be best to use close support units inside pods and the khyrabdis will just get painted word bearers colors cause that's my legion for 30k and will be my legion for 40k to I suppose wooo thank god I didn't spend money needlessly on stuff I'll never use lol

10 hours ago, Dusldorf said:

I disagree about the types of units that will be best delivered via drop pod. To me the examples you list are way too expensive. I would favor cheap psykers that can jump out and use devastating powers on some key units. 

I'm just spitballing here. Those are my first impressions of what I want to try in Pods, nothing more. Actual testing will sort that out.

What, specifically, are you thinking about here? Other than Jaws of the World Wolf, I really don't see any Psychic Powers available to Podded Units that I would call "devastating", and Jaws is just once per Turn. Smite Spam can be screened against. Everything else is either buff powers or kind of "meh".

2 hours ago, WestRider said:

I'm just spitballing here. Those are my first impressions of what I want to try in Pods, nothing more. Actual testing will sort that out.

What, specifically, are you thinking about here? Other than Jaws of the World Wolf, I really don't see any Psychic Powers available to Podded Units that I would call "devastating", and Jaws is just once per Turn. Smite Spam can be screened against. Everything else is either buff powers or kind of "meh".

The first and third Inquisition psychic powers seem good to me. One is a -2 ld debuff, the other lets you force an enemy model to attack its allies. 

They're not bad, but still not what I'd call "devastating". Dominate specifies Characters, not just any Model, and few of them have particularly scary shooting attacks to turn on their own dudes. Easy enough to keep more than 1" away from nearby Units to keep from having to hit them with a melee attack. Also, Terrify is only -1 Ld, not -2.

I'll take 115 Points for 5 Wolf Guard with 2 Combi-Plasmas and a Power Axe over 110 for two Psyker Inquisitors. If you actually take the Force Weapons for the Inquisitors, too, I can get another dude with a Combi-Plasma for about the same increase in cost.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dusldorf said:

16 hours ago, Dusldorf said:

Thread is about drop pods bro, not faction-specific

Okay.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WestRider said:

They're not bad, but still not what I'd call "devastating". Dominate specifies Characters, not just any Model, and few of them have particularly scary shooting attacks to turn on their own dudes. Easy enough to keep more than 1" away from nearby Units to keep from having to hit them with a melee attack. Also, Terrify is only -1 Ld, not -2.

I'll take 115 Points for 5 Wolf Guard with 2 Combi-Plasmas and a Power Axe over 110 for two Psyker Inquisitors. If you actually take the Force Weapons for the Inquisitors, too, I can get another dude with a Combi-Plasma for about the same increase in cost.

Oops, I meant the first Astra Telepathica power Terrifying Visions, which is -2.

As for Dominate, I think it's a great situational power. Can really punish people for taking characters like Knight Commander Pask, Bjorn the Fell-handed, Sammael, etc.